Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA ranked worst TATL carrier for fuel efficiency

BA ranked worst TATL carrier for fuel efficiency

Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by rapidex
S
Statistics and damned lies. If BA removed all the premium cabins and fitted hundreds more Y seats, then you would see a different result.
Don't give Cruz any ideas...
rapidex likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Ah statistics...“There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.” ...
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by frandrake
Ah statistics...“There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.” ...
Numbers, when tortured, will always submit.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just as some people think driving a brand new 2018 car on PCP with monthly payments, but it has great fuel economy is the way forward. Whilst others are happy kicking around in an old E class Merc which a few dents and scratches, which drinks a little more fuel, and needs to be topped up with oil every few thousand miles...

Who is going to paying less per year for their motoring, who is going to be traveling in more comfort, and which car is more likely to be stuck in limp home mode or on the back of an AA recovery truck? People end up justify their choices in their own way. :-)
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
It speaks volumes that the author of the article is Norwegian. One of an increasing number of articles written to serve an agenda.

I think BA's fleet renewal plan speaks for itself with regards to how committed BA are to improving fuel efficiency over the long term.

I wonder why these chose to specifically target TATL. Oh that's right, because they just axed their last London to Asia route so it's all they've got left
rapidex and argonath like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:07 am

No au fait with BA Fleet renewal plans but what will be the (eventual) 747 replacements on the TATL routes ?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by email2markt
It speaks volumes that the author of the article is Norwegian. One of an increasing number of articles written to serve an agenda.
I think he’s Belgian.
email2markt likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
It's the same density math that Air Berlin used to show how much more fuel efficient they were on TATL compared to LH and others. An all economy 29inch pitch A380 would beat them all (I think that density would fail evacuation requirements)
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Honestly, I am more suspicious that BA fanbois on an internet forum have an agenda. E.g., multiple posters here point to high BA cargo loadings despite the study actually correcting for "belly freight".

I mean, if you look at Norwegian's fleet, their load factors, and their seating density, it makes perfect sense they come out ahead. It's also no surprise that airlines like BA do badly. In fact, the year before, they didn't limit the study to certain TATL routes and had Qantas in the last place. Without having looked at Qantas' fleet, I imagined it was rankest lowest not due to the age of its fleet but primarily due to the low seating density on their planes.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Originally Posted by Calchas
I think he’s Belgian.
​​​​​​​Haha, not sure if that was a joke. I mean the article is signed by the company Norwegian at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by email2markt; Sep 15, 2018 at 7:13 am Reason: adding quote
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by argonath
No au fait with BA Fleet renewal plans but what will be the (eventual) 747 replacements on the TATL routes ?
A350K. Deliveries start next year.
argonath likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by flying_geek
It's the same density math that Air Berlin used to show how much more fuel efficient they were on TATL compared to LH and others. An all economy 29inch pitch A380 would beat them all (I think that density would fail evacuation requirements)
I think Airbus has already done the evacuation for a capacity of nearly 900 all Y.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Calchas
I think he’s Belgian.
Haha, not sure if that was a joke. I mean the article is signed by the company Norwegian at the bottom of the page.
In appearing on a purported news website, the article certainly qualifies for a Journalism Warning Label - this one, specifically:-

RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
A380 fuel efficiency

this report claims that the fuel burn per pax of the A380 is the same as the A340-600. even taking into account the higher number of premium seats that A380s tend to have, this seems unlikely. Does anybody have evidence to dispute this claim ?

the report also claims that VS fly the A380 which undermines its credibility.

https://www.theicct.org/sites/defaul...g_20180912.pdf
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:50 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
this report claims that the fuel burn per pax of the A380 is the same as the A340-600.
I'm a layman, but that does correspond roughly to other numbers you can find via Google and on Wikipedia.

Wikipedia says a fully fuel-efficient wing span for the A380 would be around 90 m, but Airbus chose slightly under 80 m due to legal restrictions and/or the desire to achieve compatibility with pre-existing ground infrastructure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.