Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheeky or perfectly reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by MFCC
Unfortunately the crew have nothing free to give out, even if they wanted to. There’s no catering uplift downroute, and BA doesn’t own the stock in the BOB trolleys so can only give it out free of charge under certain agreed scenarios with Tourvest. A delay is not one of these.
If you had a lounge, or a light meal voucher in the airport because of the delay then BA met the requirements.
Of course it is within the airline's gift to negotiate an appropriate 'scenario' with Tourvest, but presumably it chooses not to to save money. So frankly this is a typically feeble BA cop out.

It might be understandable if BA didn't have a record of trying to avoid responsibilities in this area.....
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Thanks for the info! ^ Now you intrigue me - could you give us examples of cases where it is agreed that contents can be handed out for free?
For ET, if the delay exceeds 60 minutes the SCCM can consider requesting a “delay pack” (water/juice/unspecified “snacks”) - but that would depend on there being no likelihood of the delay suddenly reducing or disappearing (slots etc.)

Complimentary M & S kicks in after a delay exceeding 150 minutes, but again practicalities need to be considered ...if there are trollies out in the cabin and the delay suddenly comes forward or is removed altogether, the aircraft won’t be ready for departure. The other practical point is that there simply isn’t enough product loaded for all pax if the flight is full.

Common sense as well as duty of care considerstions !

In fairness, it usually becomes quite clear when the delay situation is hopeless, and there is no likelihood of an improvement.

Last edited by Bar Operator; Sep 14, 2018 at 5:08 am
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Why does duty of care mean I need to be fed and watered after 2 hours? I normally go for a lot longer without so why must it be given out on the dot?
I’m sure there will be some people who need food and drink, but everyone?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BA
Was this the BA1486? I was on that flight as well. After we were kicked off the first plane a couple ahead of me asked the check-in staff about food/drinks vouchers. They were asked to check at the customer services desk rather than at the gate. I don't know what was offered as I also disappeared into the lounge.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Why does duty of care mean I need to be fed and watered after 2 hours?
I think you'll find a look at the main EC261 thread useful. It gives full details of what airlines must provide when.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by mario
Isn't that a tad sexist? Sounds very Titanic-ish if you ask me...
Many men got into the boats before some women on Titanic. I know this because I saw the movie.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Why does duty of care mean I need to be fed and watered after 2 hours? I normally go for a lot longer without so why must it be given out on the dot?
I’m sure there will be some people who need food and drink, but everyone?
You don't have to eat and drink, however you should be given the opportunity to. Not everyone is the same, maybe people have travelled distances to the airport, or have onward journeys, or be elderly, have young kids etc.

I can also manage without, but that doesn't mean the needs of others should be ignored. That sounds a bit selfish to me.
subject2load likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think you'll find a look at the main EC261 thread useful. It gives full details of what airlines must provide when.
I’m really not sure there was ever any real need for all this EC261 and other consumer protection stuff

The airline industry already had an excellent reputation for bending over backwards to provide swift redress for grievances or related loss arising from delayed flights or downgrades etc etc. Didn’t it ..... ?
orbitmic and Oaxaca like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
I'm fairly sure not every pax on board had lounge access.
There are also times when delays are of the undefined/rolling variety when it's most sensible to stick close to the gate area in case a fix and a departure slot suddenly become imminent.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:35 am

Women and children first is there to prevent men using their strength to push others inherently weaker than themselves out of the way. As men need more calories than either women or children they should get the first allocation.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Is it true cws has a squeaky mickey mouse voice he uses on such occasions to secure himself a stash of Percy Pig sweeties?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by simons1

Ask who was actually hungry? Although after 2 hours the airline should surely be thinking of a return to a position where supplies could be loaded.
On that particular flight the captain had decided if we were not good to go after 3 hours he would ask to return to stand, but did point out that stands at LHR were very busy so it may take some time before a stand was allocated to us. I was quite pleased we did not RTS because if we had i suspect the flight would have been cancelled.

As for the other comments about how the priorities were chosen, the poor guy had to do something, nobody on board complained about his decision at the time.

If some DYKWIA, possibly with some shiny plastic, started suggesting that it was discriminatory and that status should be used instead then I am sure the cabin crew would have looked after them in an appropriate manner, as I know cabin crew are very good at doing.
eae and corporate-wage-slave like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
It's interesting how other airlines handle this. From my US travels I know that Allegiant will offer an $8 voucher after a four-hour delay and you'll be lucky if that gets you much given airport prices. I have seen AA wheel out a snack cart with drinks, crisps etc. When at SJC recently DL were ordering pizzas for those impacted by delays. We were in two minds whether to take the earlier flight or wait for our delayed flight and have pizza for tea

However, in terms of who should be fed first I would be tempted to suggest children, the elderly, mums to be, and then others. Years ago a friend and I were taking Amtrak's Coast Starlight from Seattle to Los Angeles but due to a landslide we ended up on a bus from Portland to Klamath Falls where we'd get back on the train. Knowing that there would be no chance of dinner on the train we ordered a stupidly oversized pizza which was delivered to the station. We ate probably 1/8th of the pizza before departure and then waddled to the Pacific Parlor Car to have a couple of nightcaps. The rest of the pizza was offered to the kids queuing with their parents waiting to get served - and where the alternatives were just crisps and sweets and nothing else of substance. It was a small gesture but you had very happy children, plus a lot of very happy parents who were saved from continually hearing "Mom, I'm hungry" from their offspring!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Geordie405
It's interesting how other airlines handle this. From my US travels I know that Allegiant will offer an $8 voucher after a four-hour delay and you'll be lucky if that gets you much given airport prices. I have seen AA wheel out a snack cart with drinks, crisps etc. When at SJC recently DL were ordering pizzas for those impacted by delays. We were in two minds whether to take the earlier flight or wait for our delayed flight and have pizza for tea
Yes, the main airlines at their hubs in the USA have got a lot better of late. They will have cart somewhere stored, with things like water, soda, salty snacks on it, and will wheel it to a gate when it is clear there is a problem - topped up with some fruit they buy at the last moment. I'm sure they have found it worth their weight in gold in terms of reducing hassle for the ground staff. At small stations you do hear of station managers just doing the right thing. A relative at Jackson Hole on a bad weather night discovered that someone in management had reached for their credit card, rung the local pizza place and within 20 minutes there was a delivery of hot food.

BA has been known to do something like this occasionally, during one of last winter's events I saw Pret deliver about a dozen large boxes of sandwiches and water, which were then distributed along the check-in concourse at T5. More usually the gate agents can get permission to print vouchers in the £4 to £8 region, directly from the FLY terminals, which are then given to non lounge passengers. This can be done airside or landside, and in almost all airports thanks to FLY. These vouchers are usually valid in pretty much everywhere in the airport. That's assuming we get to 2 hours at the gate: one common scenario is 90 minutes at the gate, 60 minutes on board, in which case nothing much happens. My own view is that once you see the clock go over 30 minutes or so, the writing is often on the wall, so just spend a few quid buying something even if it is just comfort rubbish. If you go over 2 hours you can claim it, and if not, it's not worth getting worked up about. The bigger issue are those smaller airports with few facilities, no wifi, no lounge, just you and the plastic seat.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, the main airlines at their hubs in the USA have got a lot better of late. They will have cart somewhere stored, with things like water, soda, salty snacks on it, and will wheel it to a gate when it is clear there is a problem - topped up with some fruit they buy at the last moment. I'm sure they have found it worth their weight in gold in terms of reducing hassle for the ground staff.
Could this be part of the measures they have put in place to deal with their "long tarmac delay" obligations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.