No More Screens On Shorthaul?

Reply

Old Sep 13, 18, 10:29 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: BA Exec Club - Silver
Posts: 43
No More Screens On Shorthaul?

Maybe I've missed something here, but has the use of the folding down screens on A319/A320/A321 aircraft recently been stopped?

Just taken a flight to Stockholm (A320) and back (A321) and both times the crew did a manual safety demonstration (I know this has been mentioned before as sometimes they don't like the awkwardness of the safety video!), but then they never folded down to show the moving map either. (I was always quite fond of the moving map!)

Have I just been on two flights with broken screens? Or are BA now stopping to use them and if so why?

Wondering if it might be to do with the introduction of the new aircraft which don't have them fitted (Neo?) so they can retain consistency across the fleet?

Or am I imagining things!?


Ta!
flyer_tom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:41 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Posts: 398
I don't think you're imagining things, as I've also had a few flights where they were not in use, and then some others where they worked fine. Don't know why, though.
Markie likes this.
thebigben is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:48 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 24,210
The new A320neos do not have screens - the 4 neos BA currently are only doing routes from T3 for now.

I understand that the densified existing aircraft are having the screens removed and there are a couple of A321s around which have already been done.

Sometimes manual demonstrations are done anyway (e.g. short taxi, tech issue), and sometimes they are not used during the flight (e.g. tech issue, crew forget).
KARFA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:49 am
  #4  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 36,403
To simplify a complex arrangement (given current fleet swaps), LGW aircraft don't have screens and thus no moving map; the the NEOs won't have them either. For the NEOs, the space is essentially needed for the extra air masks, and there are some complex weight/balance issues too. However the Moving Map will be preserved via the new satellite wifi software, which is installed already to most of the LHR shorthaul fleet, and waiting regulatory approval. As I understand it, the Moving Map aspect will be in some form free of charge, and more detailed than the current 3 pieces of software out there.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:53 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: London, UK.
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Sometimes manual demonstrations are done anyway (e.g. short taxi, tech issue).
...crew fear going insane from listening to the Comic Relief safety video one more time?
internetplumber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:55 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Herts, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond.
Posts: 2,788
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
To simplify a complex arrangement (given current fleet swaps), LGW aircraft don't have screens and thus no moving map; the the NEOs won't have them either. For the NEOs, the space is essentially needed for the extra air masks, and there are some complex weight/balance issues too. However the Moving Map will be preserved via the new satellite wifi software, which is installed already to most of the LHR shorthaul fleet, and waiting regulatory approval. As I understand it, the Moving Map aspect will be in some form free of charge, and more detailed than the current 3 pieces of software out there.
Very good to know, Im not so bothered about the loss of video safety briefing, but its handy to be able to see the moving map and get a feel for where you are/how long to run.

any rough idea on the timescale of the wifi rollout?
Markie likes this.
stewaran is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:57 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 473
Originally Posted by internetplumber View Post
...crew fear going insane from listening to the Comic Relief safety video one more time?
and thinking "why can't you say Joanna Lumley now, when you had no problem in the last video...."
bwaflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 18, 11:01 am
  #8  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 36,403
Originally Posted by stewaran View Post
any rough idea on the timescale of the wifi rollout?
In the next few months, hopefully. It's a legal tussle at the moment thanks to inter-company rivalry, more details in the main wifi thread in the Dashboard.

If you are sat by the window and have a good quality mobile phone, Google maps will work (and some specialist flight map Apps) in flight-safe mode, by processing the GSM signal. 787 services are too heavily shielded, in my experience, however.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 18, 11:14 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: BA, Hilton
Posts: 746
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
in flight-safe mode, by processing the GSM signal
Typo for GPS I assume, GSM being the cellular signal? I routinely prefer a window seat on short haul - I must give this a try on my next flight. Thanks for the info
BertieBadger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 18, 11:15 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Herts, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond.
Posts: 2,788
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
In the next few months, hopefully. It's a legal tussle at the moment thanks to inter-company rivalry, more details in the main wifi thread in the Dashboard.

If you are sat by the window and have a good quality mobile phone, Google maps will work (and some specialist flight map Apps) in flight-safe mode, by processing the GSM signal. 787 services are too heavily shielded, in my experience, however.
Cool, Ive never tried this, ill be sure to try when im next on shorthaul.
stewaran is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 18, 11:27 am
  #11  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 36,403
Originally Posted by stewaran View Post
Cool, Ive never tried this, ill be sure to try when im next on shorthaul.
If you don't mind the privacy implications it will also store it in your Timeline on Google maps. Not as detailed as Flightradar but easier to access.

stewaran likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 18, 1:48 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by BertieBadger View Post
Typo for GPS I assume, GSM being the cellular signal?
Virtually all cell phones use something called A-GPS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS) that uses cell tower signals to find your first position. The initial accuracy doesn't need to be that high, it's just trying to reduce the time and power it takes to lock on to satellites.

If you're on recent Android releases, the way they find your position is a blend of a bunch of different things, not just GPS. If you want _serious_ detail, Google puts out an Android developer podcast, and there was a recent show on location providers. Android Developers Backstage: Episode 96: Location: It's Where It's At
BertieBadger likes this.
James Moore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 18, 2:01 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: BA, Hilton
Posts: 746
Originally Posted by James Moore View Post
Virtually all cell phones use something called A-GPS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS) that uses cell tower signals to find your first position. The initial accuracy doesn't need to be that high, it's just trying to reduce the time and power it takes to lock on to satellites.

If you're on recent Android releases, the way they find your position is a blend of a bunch of different things, not just GPS. If you want _serious_ detail, Google puts out an Android developer podcast, and there was a recent show on location providers. Android Developers Backstage: Episode 96: Location: It's Where It's At
Very interesting, thank you I was aware that cell towers could be used to determine position to a certain degree - in the context of this usage however, would we not be relying on "pure" GPS since the phone will (should!) be in flight mode, and therefore the assistance would be unavailable?
BertieBadger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 18, 3:40 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Posts: 762
Originally Posted by BertieBadger View Post
Very interesting, thank you I was aware that cell towers could be used to determine position to a certain degree - in the context of this usage however, would we not be relying on "pure" GPS since the phone will (should!) be in flight mode, and therefore the assistance would be unavailable?
You mean there are people who put their phone on flight mode?! 😀
BertieBadger likes this.
Takiteasy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 18, 1:54 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: GLA
Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Posts: 638
No screens last night LHR-GLA
cupsandsaucers is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: