Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Japan conundrum: Book with Avios now or wait for GGL joker?

Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Mini conundrum.

Some Avios availability has come up from London to Japan. But the return airport is HND and I was hoping for NRT. It's also a day later than planned, thus an extra hotel night's stay.

Now, I should hit GGL around a month prior to my desired travel dates, thus I'll have a joker to use, but I'm concerned there'll be no availability in First with such short notice.

I'll be using a 2-4-1 and GUF2 for great value. But I don't want the joker to go to waste (it'll have around a month of value before the next year's is available - not sure I'll have the money to book anything else!).

Oh what to do...

[I know it's oh-so-tough having lots of great options, but you lot know the drill and I appreciate the advice]
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Take what you can now. You can always cancel and change them to Joker if you feel so inclined later.

Why?

1) Joker requires A class availability AND fewer than 5 seats having been released for Joker purposes for the cabin. It might therefore not work. I have a very high Joker failure rate, although SIN/SYD probably don't help.
2) Some change of plans may result in your not becoming GGL
3) You may have better use for a Joker in the future.
4) You can just cancel a booking you make now for 30 if you find availability later, under a Joker or otherwise.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:30 am

I thought GGL got free cancellation of avios bookings? Never been GGL so may well be wrong on that.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hypercrypt
I thought GGL got free cancellation of avios bookings? Never been GGL so may well be wrong on that.
Yes, once OP is GGL but not before.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Just as an FYI BA T&C changed and joker is not good only for 4 people (holder + 3 to accompany oneself).
Cymro likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:21 am

Just out of curiosity, why would you prefer NRT over HND? Different equipment?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AAtticus
HND is closer to the centre of Tokyo,though more so by distance than time, but NRT has a 787 (better equipment) and what I would consider better timings (an early night and a lie in on local times, rather than potentially staying up until bedtime at your departure before emerging in the early morning when you land).
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
JL44 is the only well timed flight to tokyo in my opinion - but that doesnt help the OP,
Cymro likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAtticus
787 First trumps 777 First IMO, plus the departure is 12:55 rather than 08:50, which gives a bit more breathing room despite the extra distance.

Coming into HND also arrives at 07:10, whereas NRT is 11:15, which is better arrival time to get into town and to actively check-in to a hotel.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
JL44 is the only well timed flight to tokyo in my opinion - but that doesnt help the OP,
Sadly not, as about 150% more Avios to use that (no 2-4-1, no GUF2 applicability). Never flown JAL J/F though, so certainly curious!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Booked!
​​​​​​
​​​​Snagged LHR-NRT, staying six nights. Returning HND-LHR.

First both ways, used GUF2 and 2-4-1 and it was 565 and 75,000 Avios per person.

Absolute bargain I believe.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Booked!
​​​​​​
​​​​Snagged LHR-NRT, staying six nights. Returning HND-LHR.

First both ways, used GUF2 and 2-4-1 and it was 565 and 75,000 Avios per person.

Absolute bargain I believe.
not a bargain but simply buying two full F fares on JAL can also be v civilised: just option value and its handy to chop and change flight as your plans change - Im a big fan of fully flexible tickets. On our last Tokyo the ability to wake up and decide to linger over breakfast and just get a different flight is a joy.

Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DFB_london

not a bargain but simply buying two full F fares on JAL can also be v civilised: just option value and its handy to chop and change flight as your plans change - Im a big fan of fully flexible tickets. On our last Tokyo the ability to wake up and decide to linger over breakfast and just get a different flight is a joy.

Seeing as OW F tickets for two based on a six night return out of London are 8,496 at their cheapest from now until the end of availability at present, I feel that 150K Avios to save 7,365 is an absolute bargain. Ticket is flexible for 24hrs from booking and can be cancelled for 70 until 24hrs prior to departure.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:52 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by DFB_london

not a bargain but simply buying two full F fares on JAL can also be v civilised: just option value and it’s handy to chop and change flight as your plans change - I’m a big fan of fully flexible tickets. On our last Tokyo the ability to wake up and decide to linger over breakfast and just get a different flight is a joy.

Stating the obvious here but fully flexible cash tickets are good until you find the flight that you want to change to are full, of course. I had to shift my dates 3 days on a fully flexible F ticket because there were simply no seats.

Only fully flexible so far as seats are available.

Personally, I think the OP got really good value here.
LondonAndy and polochick like this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy lt Titanium, UA lt Gld MM, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold!
Great value, IMHO... Enjoy the trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.