FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Japan conundrum: Book with Avios now or wait for GGL joker? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1930365-japan-conundrum-book-avios-now-wait-ggl-joker.html)

mmxbreaks Sep 13, 18 7:46 am

Japan conundrum: Book with Avios now or wait for GGL joker?

Mini conundrum.

Some Avios availability has come up from London to Japan. But the return airport is HND and I was hoping for NRT. It's also a day later than planned, thus an extra hotel night's stay.

Now, I should hit GGL around a month prior to my desired travel dates, thus I'll have a joker to use, but I'm concerned there'll be no availability in First with such short notice.

I'll be using a 2-4-1 and GUF2 for great value. But I don't want the joker to go to waste (it'll have around a month of value before the next year's is available - not sure I'll have the money to book anything else!).

Oh what to do...

[I know it's oh-so-tough having lots of great options, but you lot know the drill and I appreciate the advice]

LTN Phobia Sep 13, 18 7:51 am

Take what you can now. You can always cancel and change them to Joker if you feel so inclined later.

Why?

1) Joker requires A class availability AND fewer than 5 seats having been released for Joker purposes for the cabin. It might therefore not work. I have a very high Joker failure rate, although SIN/SYD probably don't help.
2) Some change of plans may result in your not becoming GGL
3) You may have better use for a Joker in the future.
4) You can just cancel a booking you make now for £30 if you find availability later, under a Joker or otherwise.

hypercrypt Sep 14, 18 1:30 am

I thought GGL got free cancellation of avios bookings? Never been GGL so may well be wrong on that.

Cymro Sep 14, 18 2:23 am

Originally Posted by hypercrypt (Post 30202173)
I thought GGL got free cancellation of avios bookings? Never been GGL so may well be wrong on that.

Yes, once OP is GGL but not before.

nufnuf77 Sep 14, 18 2:55 am

Just as an FYI BA T&C changed and joker is not good only for 4 people (holder + 3 to accompany oneself).

AAtticus Sep 14, 18 4:21 am

Just out of curiosity, why would you prefer NRT over HND? Different equipment?

Cymro Sep 14, 18 5:08 am

Originally Posted by AAtticus (Post 30202462)

HND is closer to the centre of Tokyo,though more so by distance than time, but NRT has a 787 (better equipment) and what I would consider better timings (an early night and a lie in on local times, rather than potentially staying up until bedtime at your departure before emerging in the early morning when you land).

nufnuf77 Sep 14, 18 5:55 am

JL44 is the only well timed flight to tokyo in my opinion - but that doesnt help the OP,

mmxbreaks Sep 14, 18 6:52 am

Originally Posted by AAtticus (Post 30202462)

787 First trumps 777 First IMO, plus the departure is 12:55 rather than 08:50, which gives a bit more breathing room despite the extra distance.

Coming into HND also arrives at 07:10, whereas NRT is 11:15, which is better arrival time to get into town and to actively check-in to a hotel.

mmxbreaks Sep 14, 18 6:53 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 30202647)
JL44 is the only well timed flight to tokyo in my opinion - but that doesnt help the OP,

Sadly not, as about 150% more Avios to use that (no 2-4-1, no GUF2 applicability). Never flown JAL J/F though, so certainly curious!

mmxbreaks Sep 14, 18 4:15 pm

Booked!
​​​​​​
​​​​Snagged LHR-NRT, staying six nights. Returning HND-LHR.

First both ways, used GUF2 and 2-4-1 and it was £565 and 75,000 Avios per person.

Absolute bargain I believe.

DFB_london Sep 14, 18 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks (Post 30204662)
Booked!
​​​​​​
​​​​Snagged LHR-NRT, staying six nights. Returning HND-LHR.

First both ways, used GUF2 and 2-4-1 and it was £565 and 75,000 Avios per person.

Absolute bargain I believe.

not a bargain but simply buying two full F fares on JAL can also be v civilised: just option value and itís handy to chop and change flight as your plans change - Iím a big fan of fully flexible tickets. On our last Tokyo the ability to wake up and decide to linger over breakfast and just get a different flight is a joy.

mmxbreaks Sep 14, 18 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by DFB_london (Post 30204692)

not a bargain but simply buying two full F fares on JAL can also be v civilised: just option value and itís handy to chop and change flight as your plans change - Iím a big fan of fully flexible tickets. On our last Tokyo the ability to wake up and decide to linger over breakfast and just get a different flight is a joy.

Seeing as OW F tickets for two based on a six night return out of London are £8,496 at their cheapest from now until the end of availability at present, I feel that 150K Avios to save £7,365 is an absolute bargain. Ticket is flexible for 24hrs from booking and can be cancelled for £70 until 24hrs prior to departure.

LTN Phobia Sep 14, 18 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by DFB_london (Post 30204692)

not a bargain but simply buying two full F fares on JAL can also be v civilised: just option value and it’s handy to chop and change flight as your plans change - I’m a big fan of fully flexible tickets. On our last Tokyo the ability to wake up and decide to linger over breakfast and just get a different flight is a joy.

Stating the obvious here but fully flexible cash tickets are good until you find the flight that you want to change to are full, of course. I had to shift my dates 3 days on a fully flexible F ticket because there were simply no seats.

Only fully flexible so far as seats are available.

Personally, I think the OP got really good value here.

willphillipson Sep 22, 18 1:58 am

Great value, IMHO... Enjoy the trip!