Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-YYC 788 changed to 789 - Seating?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:48 am
Original Poster

LHR-YYC 788 changed to 789 - Seating?

Hi,

My husband and I are booked onto LHR-YYC tomorrow (14th). I'm noticing that it looks like this aircraft has changed from 788 to 789. The seat map is currently unavailable on the BA website.

We have paid to book our seats in advance, and I am now somewhat concerned that we will not be allocated the equivalent seats in the new configuration - that we'll end up with seats by the toilets or the first row in the second cabin (so the window seat has to step over the row behind) I've currently booked seats which avoid both of these scenarios.

Can anyone offer any advice? What are the chances of F-cabin being opened - I guess this is load-dependent. Can anyone look at the load for me? What should our tactic be at on-line check-in this evening? If it makes any difference, we booked using Avios and an Amex 2-4-1.

Many thanks for your help.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sarahhj
Hi,

My husband and I are booked onto LHR-YYC tomorrow (14th). I'm noticing that it looks like this aircraft has changed from 788 to 789. The seat map is currently unavailable on the BA website.

We have paid to book our seats in advance, and I am now somewhat concerned that we will not be allocated the equivalent seats in the new configuration - that we'll end up with seats by the toilets or the first row in the second cabin (so the window seat has to step over the row behind) I've currently booked seats which avoid both of these scenarios.

Can anyone offer any advice? What are the chances of F-cabin being opened - I guess this is load-dependent. Can anyone look at the load for me? What should our tactic be at on-line check-in this evening? If it makes any difference, we booked using Avios and an Amex 2-4-1.

Many thanks for your help.
I'm not sure about the other points but it is indeed looking like a 789 currently scheduled (G-ZBKH).
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
All you can do is give BA a call, they maybe able to change your seat as there is a good chance you will have been moved to seats in rows 11-13, otherwise get onto MMB at 18.20.
I am guessing you have seats booked in row 3, the Dirst cabin will not be used?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Yes, 3A&B... I'd rather the window have to step-over I guess - but don't want to end up in Row 7 of 789.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually that is where you do want to end up, on the -9 CW is rows 6-7 and then 10-13, so the non stepover seats are in rows 7 and 13.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:21 am
Original Poster

13 would be ok but 7 is right by the toilets so I'd rather not be there?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So is row 3, the toilets won’t bother you as there is a curtain between the seats and the toilets, to be absolutely honest you will be lucky to get either row.
Have you called BA?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:28 am

It's (very) possible that last night's diversion of the LHR-YYC flight (to Iqaliut/Frobisher Bay) has something to do with this.

An unwelcome seat assignment, inconvenient as that might well be, is surely the lesser of two evils when compared to a side trip to Canadian Siberia.
foreigncontent likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
EDIT: Easily confused...

Last edited by Boeing77W; Sep 13, 2018 at 8:02 am
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP is on the 103 from LHR where the First cabin will not be used, the 102 form YYC it will be used.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:05 am
Original Poster

We were in 3A&B last year on 788 and just the galley behind, no toilet? They were on the other side.

On the phone to BA at the moment and we've been dumped in some random middle seats.

Boeing77W... that's the return flight, we're heading to YYC BA103 which doesn't look overbooked... J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 W9 E0 T0 Y9 B8 H5 K2
M1 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G2 so probably no F Cabin open I guess.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by sarahhj
We were in 3A&B last year on 788 and just the galley behind, no toilet? They were on the other side.

On the phone to BA at the moment and we've been dumped in some random middle seats.
It's a bit of an occupational hazard on the 787 fleet at the moment. Suffered a 788-789 swap on the way back from YUL at the start of the year, and 3J/K dissapeared to become 12A/B by auto allocation. Luckily I was able to move to 13J/K to preserve aisle access from the window seat, as the best alternative left to me by that time (Aside: I didn't find the toilet a problem at all on the 788 by 3J/K on the way out)

Your best "equivalent" seat, which would be 7J/K given that the toilets are on the opposite side in a 789 compared to the original 788. ExpertFlyer is showing these as available at the moment, hopefully BA can put you in them

Since you said you paid for the seats you're entitled to a refund, which you can apply for after you fly.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to update on the outcome of the situation. I eventually managed to get BA to reallocate us to 12J&K - at the time I was told this was the only availability for a window seat. As pointed out by Bertie, 7J&K were actually available and I did manage to switch us to these at check-in. Why BA could not have been pro-active in making contact I do not know... as for offering a refund on the pre-booked seats, of course they did not mention this during my telephone contact, and I had to make the first move to have this processed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.