Uniform standards

Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Reporting from base with non uniform shoes shouldn’t happen, I was once on a trip in Mauritius where the Captain legs were so badly sunburnt that he couldn’t wear his trousers and had to wear jeans, that is completely different.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:00 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Can I help you
And let’s face it plain black shoes are the easiest to find.
I have an issue with one of my feet that makes it very painful to walk far in "standard" shoes. My doctor recommended Asics trainers, and they are very comfortable due to the liquid type sole. However, most of them are very "loud". I did manage to find an all black pair recently, but they are Ł160 a pop!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
3 pilots

Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by icegirl
3 pilots
I'll guess this is in reference to the fact none of them are wearing a tie? As this post is about Uniform Standards I'll keep it to that. Technically they're not doing anything wrong. Policy states it can be removed in the flight deck as long as it's put back on prior to leaving.
LTN Phobia likes this.

Last edited by Boeing77W; Sep 13, 2018 at 6:33 am Reason: Clarity
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
My work attire is suit and tie, with dark shoes... got to go to an event next week where I'm liable to have to walk miles each day crossing from one side of a massive exhibition to the other, multiple times all day for two days. Last time I did this I was in agony after a day, so I can empathise for people with joint issues where hard shoes on hard floors and long walks causes a lot of discomfort.

I've solved the problem for next week with a pair of these, which I got last week: https://www.reebok.co.uk/reebok-work....0/BS9524.html

Have tested them with my suit and so long as the laces are tucked away, it's very hard to spot. Will be fine for two days... and the pain relief for me HUGE!

That said, it's a remedy I'll probably use a handful of times a year at most. And I'd never dream of attempting it with white soles and a big white tick on the side!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:32 am

Maybe BA is missing a trick here ? They could tie up with Nike as a shoe sponsor for BA Crew ? That would help offset some revenue from the credit card fiasco. It's only a matter of time, one airline starts and everyone else will jump on the bandwagon.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Speaking for the vast majority of passengers, we would like to be delivered to where we are going on time, without fuss, and we honestly don't give a flying one what crew members put on their feet. Actually I wouldn't even have noticed from the photo had attention not been brought to it.

On the other hand, if someone were to delay the flight by offloading someone with the wrong kind of footwear, we would be exceedingly annoyed.

I'm sure there's room in the market for airlines with a zero tolerance to non-U footwear, and I do encourage those who care about such things to lobby for one to be created rather than posting pictures about it on Internet forums.
Dan72, flygirl68, icegirl and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by Boeing77W
I'll guess this is in reference to the fact none of them are wearing a tie? As this post is about Uniform Standards I'll keep it to that. Technically they're not doing anything wrong. Policy states it can be removed in the flight deck as long as it's put back on prior to leaving. In terms of social media policy and photography etc. That's for another time.
Thanks for the update I was not aware of you could remove them after pushing back. I personally feel as it was posted online (with BA approval) they should apply a sense of professionalism for the video and kept them on for take off and landing.
Boeing77W likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Had a flight CPH–OSL on SAS last December and this was the captain's attire:

I could not believe my eyes and to me it just sent a message of SAS being a much less professional airline than BA. Yes, I am sure the captain was just as competent than any BA pilot, but these things do matter, at least to me.

On top of that, I found it strange that the cockpit door was kept open during pushback and part of the taxi. Not to mention the fact that if you think CE is bad, you have clearly not tried SAS Plus…
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:28 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by icegirl
Think it'd be pushing it a bit if it was required to have your top button done up and tie on behind a locked door where no-one can see you
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Oh I thought it was about the creases on the jacket until I scrolled down to see the feet.

I can imagine the need to wear trainers may well crop up from time to time. However, regardless of the uniform standards, I think the white sole and the logo look wrong for the uniform from the fashion police perspective. If I were a crew member and got an approval to wear trainers, and the one with white was that was all I could get quickly, I'd have got a spray can and spray pained the whole thing black. The spray painting on the sole (the bottom bit) may well wear off but at least the side and the logo won't stand out like a sore thumb.

Originally Posted by All She Wrote
Think it'd be pushing it a bit if it was required to have your top button done up and tie on behind a locked door where no-one can see you
If I were managing the video process, I'd have asked them to put them on just for the video - well, even the jacket on as well, but just for the show, not because of anything else like the uniform standard etc. (I'd expect airlines to allow them to take the jacket and tie off during flight.)
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by jfallesen
Had a flight CPH–OSL on SAS last December and this was the captain's attire:

I could not believe my eyes and to me it just sent a message of SAS being a much less professional airline than BA. Yes, I am sure the captain was just as competent than any BA pilot, but these things do matter, at least to me.

On top of that, I found it strange that the cockpit door was kept open during pushback and part of the taxi. Not to mention the fact that if you think CE is bad, you have clearly not tried SAS Plus…
Is it The Donald
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Can I help you
And let’s face it plain black shoes are the easiest to find.
Okay I havent looked for a while, but I am sure you are correct. These days many wear brown, I am no fashion police, its not my style.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:21 am

In my day if you could not wear your correct uniform, or have your appearance impeccable as laid down you did not work, and would maybe (likely) face a disciplinary.

If you had health issues and say could not wear correct uniform footwear as Operating Crew (whether be it in the air, or on the ground) then you may be sent home as sick, or possibly offered a job away from public eye,and if formally discussed, and agreed with your LM.

Uniform standards were everything and most aircrew wore theirs with pride. I know I did.

Re this photo of a CC in trainers in public view - well no doubt by now this is all around the crew room and Managers by now!

Frankly, it beggars belief to me that BA would, even with health issues allow the uniform in public to worn with these trainers - Anyone know more?

If I was a senior manager in the terminal I would be mortified as to what is going on here....
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:23 am

Niki Lauda flew his own Boeing's (Lauda Air) in civvies and always wore his famous red baseball cap - but he owned the plane!

At my airlines that I worked for since 1972 we had many skippers who adorned a variety of headwear, caps and gloves to fly their plane...I've seen it all - some of the old chaps flew Lancs and fighters during the War...Tally Ho!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.