Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Quest for gold. Almost there. Looking forward for my first wing experience

Old Sep 13, 18, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

I did so much travel in the past 15 to 20 years. Never bothered about getting status as i hat to travel with the cheapest available ticket. And travel was so unregular that it did not really added value as i was never able to gain certain status.
After starting working with another company it started to make sense. I fly at least 20 times a year to Heathrow and in the other weeks I fly around Europe and the US.

My first flight was in October last year. Then a few months no flying and in Februar i started commuting to London.

Gold really makes sense for me as i am at Heathrow so much and using first wing will make it more convinient.

And now it is in sight.

GOLD, GOLD, GOLD.

My tierpoints are now 1345. Next week a shorthaul flight in CE will bring me to 1425 and then end of the week a shorthaul flight in ET and a longhal to the US in WT+ will gain me an additional 100 bringing my total to 1525.
I just can't wait till October the 2nd when i will be in London and have the ability to use First wing for the very first time.
Old Sep 13, 18, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
The First Wing is a nice touch and generally means that you can pass through security and get in the lounge in about 5 minutes or less. One of the real benefits I find, and this is echoed in my experience of pre-check in the US, is that the vast majority of people going through security know exactly what to do and are prepared in advance, speeding things along.
Old Sep 13, 18, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, HH Silver, IHG Gold Elite, Sixt Gold
The first wing is probably one of the coolest benefits that come with Gold.
T8191, ThatT1Feeling, Pelu and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 18, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frandrake View Post
just the ability to skip the whole journey through the airport to get to the lounge will be worth it. As i usually do CE on my flights i always have fast track. The security lane experience might not be that different i think as most people in fast track do know how it works.
still looking forward to it especially as i will be at Heatrow at least 20 times a year.
Old Sep 13, 18, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by frandrake View Post
Or the Cathay lounge in T3^
Old Sep 13, 18, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
Or the Cathay lounge in T3^
My "golden" flight will be from T3, but because i will reach the status on that flight i will not be able to go to the Cathay lounge. Allthough, do silver give access to that lounge?
I do not fly from T3 that often.
What will be the best lounge in T3 to visit as a silver?
Old Sep 13, 18, 3:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Seraglio View Post
My "golden" flight will be from T3, but because i will reach the status on that flight i will not be able to go to the Cathay lounge. Allthough, do silver give access to that lounge?
I do not fly from T3 that often.
What will be the best lounge in T3 to visit as a silver?
Yes, Silver gives access to Cathay Business lounge. For T3 oneworld lounge information there is a very detailed thread in the Dashboard with lots of information and photographs.
Old Sep 13, 18, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The First Wing is so good that I even use it when connecting to domestic - I find it better to head through immigration and proceed through the First Wing than use the standard connections process.
Old Sep 13, 18, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Spire, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Congratulations, I know the feeling. I was a silver member for the first 7 years of this decade, now with increased LH travel I've made the jump to Gold last year and with current travel commitments for the foreseeable is going to see me finish around 2500 TP pa

The Flounge certainly isn't worth the jump but it's the little details that make the difference, the F wing is a huge bonus and seat choices are ones that come to mind the most. Also on really busy short hauls I've never been asked to gate check a bag when I made it to the gate at the close of boarding.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 13, 18, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I wish we used LHR more, to take advantage of the First Wing, but it doesn’t work for us. And I doubt BA will replicate the process at LGW!
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:05 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
The First Wing is a very good facility, as another poster mentioned, if only because nearly everyone in the queue in front of you knows what they're doing and there's minimal faffing.
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
there is one downside to the first wing : their super modern ultra x ray scanner is the only machine in the world that finds small liquids like toothpaste and amenity kits.. :-)
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
I wish we used LHR more, to take advantage of the First Wing, but it doesn’t work for us. And I doubt BA will replicate the process at LGW!
The same LGW that has a "premium" service for J which, last time I used it, still diverted you through into a normal security queue and not a dedicated one...

But still, I can't complain about the lounge, and I'm tempted to try and go for Gold this year if I can (and not with endless trips to JER either!)
Old Sep 13, 18, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by mtikky View Post
The same LGW that has a "premium" service for J which, last time I used it, still diverted you through into a normal security queue and not a dedicated one...
If you mean “Premium Gatwick”, as it’s known, you must have been unlucky. It’s a very efficient facility with nice staff!
Originally Posted by mtikky
But still, I can't complain about the lounge, and I'm tempted to try and go for Gold this year if I can (and not with endless trips to JER either!)
The FLounge is LGW is very nice, and usually refreshingly free of Very Loud Businessmen
JER is an optional extra

Good luck with your gold prospecting!
mtikky likes this.

Last edited by T8191; Sep 13, 18 at 11:18 am
Old Sep 13, 18, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
If you mean “Peemium Gatwick”, as it’s known, you must have been unlucky. It’s a very efficient facility with nice staff!
I'm not sure if I'm missing a joke here, or this is a typo?
T8191 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: