Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA8490 (TXL-LCY) 13.09.2018 - "significant external damage"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA8490 (TXL-LCY) 13.09.2018 - "significant external damage"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
Without any thought for the customers who pay to fly on BA (and or one of its subsiduaries) and aren't generally bothered about internal politics.........
How about people who are on a tight connection/tight onward journey at LHR?

It probably wouldn't have been a matter of a few minutes' delay but more likely an hour or probably longer. All the loadsheet and everything would have had to be re-done AFTER working our which passenger wanted to go to LHR instead of LCY, take their bags off, load them on the new aircraft, etc. etc.

Some may well have ended up missing their connection to a flight that only operates once a day, or worse.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver

Explain that to the passengers booked on the LHR flight who miss their onward connections at Heathrow.
It's one thing if the two competing concerns were weighed up and a decision made to keep the LHR flight on schedule (and leave the LCY people behind). It's another thing if such a request would never be considered because these are 'two different airlines'. If it's the latter then the LCY people are justifiably annoyed.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cauchy
It's one thing if the two competing concerns were weighed up and a decision made to keep the LHR flight on schedule (and leave the LCY people behind). It's another thing if such a request would never be considered because these are 'two different airlines'. If it's the latter then the LCY people are justifiably annoyed.
does it really matter? the result would be the same anyway.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by cauchy
how are they justifiable annoyed because another plane that they weren’t booked on left on time? They can in my opinion be annoyed about the original delay but not the delay of a different plane to accommodate a few at the expense of the many ready to go, and the knock on effect to that birds subsequent rotations as well.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by navylad

how are they justifiable annoyed because another plane that they weren’t booked on left on time? They can in my opinion be annoyed about the original delay but not the delay of a different plane to accommodate a few at the expense of the many ready to go, and the knock on effect to that birds subsequent rotations as well.
Re-read my post. I never said they should 'accommodate a few at the expense of the many ready to go'. Quite the opposite really!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by navylad

Indeed. Ultimately that is what EC261 is for. Of course rerouting is a scenario but I don't realistically see that extends to delaying other flights.

It isn't just the delay to the LHR passengers but the knock on impact to flights throughout the rest of the day. That means 2 aircraft loads of compo too.

Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
At 10.25, with the screen at gate A12 still showing "Next update at 9.30 a.m.", and thinking that I really should try to get to work, I allowed myself to be rebooked onto BA991, departing for Heathrow at 11.00. It was completely full, and got delayed on the way to the runway by an incomplete load sheet. There seemed to be a lot of very anxious passengers with tight connections, and the crew weren't exactly sympathetic: I actually heard the CSM tell one passenger that she shouldn't have booked such a short connection in the first place. I was very hungry, having only had a quick coffee in the lounge at 6am, but the trolley service was so slow that by the time it got to me (in row 17 ) I decided I could hang on until London. My client refused to approve a half day, telling me to claim for a full day, and I get EC261 compo. Result.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
She can't have been too badly injured, as she seems to be operating the delayed BA8490, currently at FL380 over RTM inbound to LCY.
If the damage is something like 'aircraft hit by airport baggage train' (has happened on my travel day before) they need to have the mechanics have a really careful look at any dents and surrounding materials to determine structural v. cosmetic damage. Could be the determination ended up being cosmetic, and they'll just take care of it at the next RON in a location with a big maintenance presence.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:49 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Misco60
At 10.25, with the screen at gate A12 still showing "Next update at 9.30 a.m.", and thinking that I really should try to get to work, I allowed myself to be rebooked onto BA991, departing for Heathrow at 11.00. It was completely full, and got delayed on the way to the runway by an incomplete load sheet. There seemed to be a lot of very anxious passengers with tight connections, and the crew weren't exactly sympathetic: I actually heard the CSM tell one passenger that she shouldn't have booked such a short connection in the first place. I was very hungry, having only had a quick coffee in the lounge at 6am, but the trolley service was so slow that by the time it got to me (in row 17 ) I decided I could hang on until London. My client refused to approve a half day, telling me to claim for a full day, and I get EC261 compo. Result.
Did they say why there was damage? Potentially extraordinary circumstances?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just to wrap this up, I received a call from someone at BA this morning (from Newcastle, judging by the accent), apologising for the delay and confirming that it was a technical delay and therefore eligible for EU261. He said that the €250 would be transferred to me today. That's impressive service, considering how busy the customer service departments might still be due to the data breach issue. Last time I made an EU261 claim I waited a month before receiving a standard rejection email from India (and BA fought the claim for a further two months).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.