Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Word with the fuzz!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I was stopped at JER getting off the flight from LGW and wanting to get straight back on the same aircraft by a couple of SB officers .
I did one mileage run from LGW to JER and back a few years ago. It only earns 40 TPs each way in CW, but in this instance it reduced the price of my TLV-LON return by about $200, so it was well worth it! I didn't do an instant turnaround, but went out and returned after a short while. I was met at lthe lounge by two police officers who wanted to know why I was in Jersey, and why for such a short time. I explained I was doing it for the miles and they laughed and went away.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

Or EZE on BA. Only time I’ve been welcomed at LHR with a posse of customs officers - who picked the first X people off the plane, so all CW. Having just been through Auckland where the quartantine officers help you repack your bag (^) it makes Border Force surliness another class (even many CBP officers in US have ability to crack a joke or engage in small talk - which is surely part of the job. Officer Hass at DFW always lodges in my mind, “I always like to give visitors a little “Hassle”. Enjoy your stay.”)
​​​​​​
My limited experience with UK customs makes me glad it seems to be almost non existent at Heathrow (which I've always found strange - do they scan bags before they reach the belt?).

I still remember from something like 10 years ago when an over-enthusiastic customs agent at the old Kent International Airport almost grabbed my bag off me in eagerness to go through it, then looked visibly disappointed when they found out I was British and just waved me through.

It's what initally woke me up to the racial bias you always hear about but had never really noticed (I have interesting skin that goes from milky white in winter to dark brown in summer - which makes me look Middle Eastern/North African).
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Often1
The ability to analyze "big data" is astonishing and if one's travel fits a suspicious pattern, it will be flagged to the appropriate agency for follow up.
The ability to over-analyse "big data" and find coincidental patterns without any effort to correlate with actual undesirable activity is astonishing and it can be flagged to over-enthusiastic and under-competent agencies to misuse - especially when there is no disincentive for them to over-react.

All the events described here sound like someone's simplistic heuristics misfiring on things that happen often and are not new, only newly known and not understood.
Kgmm77 and :D! like this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:33 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I was going to take my 2 year old on a few consecutive weekend CE sale trips to HEL to see Santa and get him to BAEC gold, but I think I will ditch that plan now.

Apart from being held for a couple of hours in a glass cubicle in MIA when en route from EZE-CDG in August 2006, I've had no issues with frequent trips, including same day turnarounds in EU destinations when positioning for longer ex-EU trips. No issues whatsoever in the UK.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL
My only issues are coming back into the UK! My passport NEVER works in the e-machines, despite working everywhere else in Europe, and I'm always questioned for longer than everyone else. They scrutinise my passport, ask where I've been and check my flight number before letting me through, and then always write something down as I leave the desk. It's very strange!
Crampedin13A likes this.

Last edited by Filthy Monkey; Sep 13, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:44 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
My only issues are coming back into the UK! My passport NEVER works in the e-machines, despite working everywhere else in Europe, and I'm always questioned for longer than everyone else. They scrutinise my passport, ask where I've been and check my flight number before letting me through, and then always write something down as I leave the desk. It's very strange!
That is odd, as unlike the rest of Europe, the "e-machines" are just a man hiding behind a flimsy wall looking at multiple TV screens.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Elite, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sxc
What were you wearing?

Not quite the same situation as the OP, but recently I had a a trip where I was travelling LIN-LCY-DUS, and border force asked me what I was doing entering the UK at LCY. Told him I was transiting, and he said "There's no direct flights from Milan to Dusseldorf?". I told him it was a cheaper fare (in reality I needed the J tier points). In hindsight, I probably should have said I needed the mileage, in case they started probing deeper and found that my fare wasn't that cheap.
Jeans and t shirt! There was no dress code at work. It was well handled in the end but the first person just wasn’t helpful. The guy joked about wearing a suit next time and I just said we didn’t wear suits, so he suggested a dress!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, EK Silver
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Probably worth €600, so not all bad
EK bumped my name off the original connection and put me on the next flight which was 3 hours later. What's worst was that the BHX plane landed in time for boarding to begin on the original connection and as I had carry on only I actually made it to the gate only to be told my name wasn't on the list so no go!

I bought these tickets via Amex travel, is there grounds for compensation even though the airline got me to the destination albeit much inconveniently later?

Back on topic, I've noticed that my bags gets checked quite often at security lately though it could be the amount of electrical gizmos and cables in there. I'm actually a bit worried for the flight back to the Uk now. More specifically if I'm running late and have to have a word with the rozzers again thus missing any flights.

Last edited by milehighmike; Sep 13, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
I've been stopped by the police once at LHR and that was boarding a flight to NBO. They quite openly stated that I was stopped purely to meet quotas. I used to get stopped every time at the Canadian border. Started after I flew from SYD in 2005. They couldn't accept a UK passport holder could fly from Australia. The last couple of times through AMS they have questioned me, the end result each time is they think I travel too much. In contrast after being questioned in MIA a few years ago I have no issues at all and get waved through quite quickly.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by milehighmike
is there grounds for compensation even though the airline got me to the destination albeit much inconveniently later?
Categorically none, you can forget that idea. The police has the right to carry out its investigation within the framework set by the law, and based on your missing your original departure, EK did the right thing in rebooking you at the earliest opportunity including respecting MCT for your new departure. You can forget that idea I think.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
That is odd, as unlike the rest of Europe, the "e-machines" are just a man hiding behind a flimsy wall looking at multiple TV screens.
Not quite that simple... The software does most of the checking. The officer is there as a final check if the software flags up a mis-match. If your passport fails at an e gate the border force officers have to ask more questions just in case its a fraudulent passport and make a quick note on why it didnt work at the e gate.

As to refusing or being vague in saying where you come from does it really matter if you tell them as they probably already know as all API information is passed on to the destination country as soon as your flight leaves. Did hear it has to be done within 10 minutes of the flight taking off. Although Border force cannot actually stop a British Citizen entering the UK they can make it hard for you and are entitled to ask any relevant questions to ascertain you are a UK citizen including where you have travel from. Some being vague will certainly raise a few questions.
I spend quite a bit of time at an UK Airport border taking to the officers in my current job.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:14 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Jed
I was going to take my 2 year old on a few consecutive weekend CE sale trips to HEL to see Santa and get him to BAEC gold, but I think I will ditch that plan now.
I don't see the problem with going to HEL and staying overnight for 2 or 3 weekends.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Categorically none, you can forget that idea. The police has the right to carry out its investigation within the framework set by the law, and based on your missing your original departure, EK did the right thing in rebooking you at the earliest opportunity including respecting MCT for your new departure. You can forget that idea I think.
From my reading the OP made his original flight, which was delayed, and he could have made his connecting flight but EK had offloaded him preemptively.

Originally Posted by SonTech
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
My passport NEVER works in the e-machines, despite working everywhere else in Europe, and I'm always questioned for longer than everyone else.
Not quite that simple... The software does most of the checking. The officer is there as a final check if the software flags up a mis-match. If your passport fails at an e gate the border force officers have to ask more questions just in case its a fraudulent passport and make a quick note on why it didnt work at the e gate.
My wife's passport rarely works at the e-gate. On our last UK re-entry, the officer at the failed e-gate desk told her to look into a camera next to him, which matched her face to her passport photo using software, or so he claimed. He then said she needed to be more careful to place the passport flat on the reader (the machine in AMS?? which sucks your passport in created a small bend in her photo page 3 years ago).

My impression was that in the rest of Europe it is a manual process, but in the UK it is partially automated.

For a time I was flagged and my passport was instantly rejected by the e-gate as soon as I placed it on the reader, but the flag seems to have been lifted. I figured out why and will try not to trigger it again I hope AMS-BKK is not actually an automatic trigger as I'm doing another one of those soon...

Although Border force cannot actually stop a British Citizen entering the UK they can make it hard for you and are entitled to ask any relevant questions to ascertain you are a UK citizen including where you have travel from.
How does asking where one has travelled from ascertain one's citizenship?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I have an week long ex AMS to BKK via HKG comprising two trips to Kathmandu sandwiching one to Penang next year.

should I just hand myself in to the Police now and throw myself before the mercy of the courts?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, EK Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
The police only questioned me for 5 minutes so I made the first leg ok. The problem according to the pilot was another plane stuck on the runway causing a holdup. I got a text through from EK just as the plane was taking off that they were going to bump me on to the next connecting flight from DXB. Had I been able to get through to them I would have told them not to as I made it to the gate only to be stopped by the gate agent due to being bumped off.

Anyone have any experience on this? Have asked on the EK forum but it's a bit quite on there. I booked it through Amex travel.

Back on topic, I distinctly remember last year flying from HKG to HND with a connection in Osaka and being stopped by security at baggage screening. They took my bag to one side and gave it a thorough inspection, then asked me questions about my travel activity, specifically that I was flying in from HKG on a UK passport but not returning to the UK after or to having a return ticket in place with the same airline. It does sound like they're trying to monitor unusual travel patterns to monitor trafficking.

Thankfully substance abuse is certainly not one of my vices so at least I don't have to worry about that.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by :D!;30202234
My wife's passport rarely works at the e-gate. On our last UK re-entry, the officer at the failed e-gate desk told her to look into a camera next to him, which matched her face to her passport photo using software, or so he claimed. He then said she needed to be more careful to place the passport flat on the reader (the machine in AMS?? which sucks your passport in created a small bend in her photo page 3 years ago).

My impression was that in the rest of Europe it is a manual process, but in the UK it is partially automated.

For a time I was flagged and my passport was [i
instantly[/i] rejected by the e-gate as soon as I placed it on the reader, but the flag seems to have been lifted. I figured out why and will try not to trigger it again I hope AMS-BKK is not actually an automatic trigger as I'm doing another one of those soon...
Mine hasn't been accepted at any Uk e-gate for a year now. They have no problems reading it at the manual check so no there is no fault with the passport. If I have been flagged love to know what for!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.