Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA188 EWR-LHR Cancelled on Sept 16 ???????

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Its looking busy in J this weekend from NYC. the best options looks to me to be AA flight at 22:25 from JFK

but there is also a aer lingus from from EWR-LHR, of course with a stop in DUB
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Yep, they can. We were originally on TPA-MIA-LHR and due to the late running AA TPA-MIA sector we'd have missed our connection, so we were rebooked TPA-LGW.

BA outright refused to pay for a transfer between the two locations.

AA gave us some vouchers towards another AA operated flight but not as direct recompense for the transfer, it was due to the delay on their service.
In your case, because the delay was on an AA sector on the way TO Europe, EC261 actually didn't apply. The difference for the OP is all sectors are BA operated, so EC261 applies no matter what.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAL62V

So this is the part of EC261 I don't understand: she was originally offered a flight from JFK which would have got her home within the three hours delay time. BA pro-actively offered her a flight 24 hours later when she asked them to pay for the expensive cab fare to JFK. She has accepted this flight. Is she able to claim or is that thwarted because she was originally offered the JFK flight?

I should point out that she didn't turn down the JFK option, instead BA customer services person offered her the following day out of EWR when confronted with the question of cab fares!

EDIT: Just been reading this: https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...s/compensation and my take on this is that she does indeed qualify for EC261. She's on the same routing and had to be put on a day later due to no availability on the 16th.

Interestingly, this article seems to say that if you take a different routing then you can't claim compensation which is ridiculous if you NEED to be back the same day but in this case would have to pay out far larger cab amounts due to BA's own fault in not taking you on your booked route. The implication here is that it's you r choice to take a different route and therefore BA can't be held responsible for extra costs.
Just to keep this on topic so it doesn't drift too far, can someone advise whether EC261 applies in my case when the first flight offered by BA (which would have arrived an hour later than booked) was from and to different airports and to maintain the same routing they then offered a flight 24 hours later which has been accepted?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Misco60
Getting from EWR to JFK by public transport costs less than $30.
...and is an enormous (Trump would say tremendous) pain in the ..., especially with luggage.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:17 am
Suspended

Just to keep this on topic so it doesn't drift too far, can someone advise whether EC261 applies in my case when the first flight offered by BA (which would have arrived an hour later than booked) was from and to different airports and to maintain the same routing they then offered a flight 24 hours later which has been accepted?
She was offered an alternate, which would have gotten her home in time, but this was, de facto, declined, I think you are saying. No EC261 compensation would apply.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
She was offered an alternate, which would have gotten her home in time, but this was, de facto, declined, I think you are saying. No EC261 compensation would apply.
Except that the alternative was both from and to different airports than the original booking. Which is why I read it that she is entitled to claim.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:32 am
Suspended

You may have an argument on your hands, though, as JFK, EWR, and LGA are all considered NYC. I prefer your interpretation too, incidentally!
PAL62V likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Except that the alternative was both from and to different airports than the original booking. Which is why I read it that she is entitled to claim.
Doesn't 261 compensation apply if you arrive home later, OR if you have to leave earlier?

Given the extra time Mrs PAL62V would have to allow to catch the same time flight from JFK, I suspect 261 compensation would be due for an early departure instead of a late arrival.

But I have never yet had to deal with 261, despite flying TATL 6-7 times a year for 5 years, so I could be quite wrong.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Poster

No, it only applies to arrivals later than 3 hours.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Doesn't 261 compensation apply if you arrive home later, OR if you have to leave earlier?

Given the extra time Mrs PAL62V would have to allow to catch the same time flight from JFK, I suspect 261 compensation would be due for an early departure instead of a late arrival.

But I have never yet had to deal with 261, despite flying TATL 6-7 times a year for 5 years, so I could be quite wrong.
No, it only applies to arrivals later than 3 hours.
It applies if the departure is moved forward an hour (not if the time it takes you to get to the airport itself increases).
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:41 pm

You may have an argument on your hands, though, as JFK, EWR, and LGA are all considered NYC. I prefer your interpretation too, incidentally!
I'm struggling to see why it's complicated there is an argument here?

Originally Posted by EC261
3. When, in the case where a town, city or region is served by several airports, an operating air carrier offers a passenger a flight to an airport alternative to that for which the booking was made, the operating air carrier shall bear the cost of transferring the passenger from that alternative airport either to that for which the booking was made, or to another close-by destination agreed with the passenger.
Is BA saying there's a distinction between arriving vs departing at an alternative airport? Given the pro-consumer way the regulation has been interpreted in the past, I'm not convinced BA would want to test this out...

Last edited by cauchy; Sep 12, 2018 at 12:53 pm Reason: pernickety
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Did I say it was complicated?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:54 pm

Did I say it was complicated?
Fixed that for you.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by cauchy
I'm struggling to see why it's complicated there is an argument here?

Is BA saying there's a distinction between arriving vs departing at an alternative airport? Given the pro-consumer way the regulation has been interpreted in the past, I'm not convinced BA would want to test this out...
It is not complicated, and this is what usually happens when passengers are rebooked to fly to/from other airports when disruption happens on the day of the flight. I am not aware of airlines that agree to cover hotels, meals, transportation when re-booking happens days, weeks, or months in advance. Many here interpret the Regulation in a way that duty of care applies from the moment you one buys a ticket, but this has never been tested in courts. I don't think people can even get airlines to rebook them onto other carriers (which, if one interprets the Regulation that way, they should), when an airline cancels a route months in advance, potentially exposing passengers to the costs of buying a new ticket which can be much more expensive at that point.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Well I think we’ll go down the ec261 route and see where that takes us. My reading is that it should be compatible with a claim seeing as the flight is a day later and there was no alternative on the same routing before that time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.