Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe catering | opinions and general discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club Europe catering | opinions and general discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by avon75
Ok - stupid question time.

the only time I ever get served cheese and crackers with a sweet desert is on a BA flight. Which am I supposed to eat first ?
If you are British, dessert then cheese.
If you are French, cheese then dessert.
If you are Russian, cheese then dessert (it was their idea originally, the French then emulated it).
If none of the above, then it doesn't matter, you can even mingle between the two.

Despite having more French DNA than anything else, I eat cheese ŕ la fin.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by avon75
Ok - stupid question time.

the only time I ever get served cheese and crackers with a sweet desert is on a BA flight. Which am I supposed to eat first ?
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you are Russian, cheese then dessert (it was their idea originally, the French then emulated it).
If none of the above, then it doesn't matter, you can even mingle between the two.

There's no right or wrong way. For me, if I'm drinking red wine with the main course, I'll carry on with that and have the cheese next. Then think about something else with the dessert, though port is a boring, but safe, choice of pudding wine.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar

Good answer, whichever way you want. I'm moitié-and half, I have the cheese first and ask for bread rather than crackers. I guess that makes me more moitié than half
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by alex67500
Good answer, whichever way you want. I'm moitié-and half, I have the cheese first and ask for bread rather than crackers. I guess that makes me more moitié than half
Am I the only one that dislikes the crackers BA serves? The latest Peters Crackers (think that's the brand) are a step up from the awful oatmeal things they used to serve with the cheese but I would much prefer them to serve something like Carrs Water Biscuits or the delightful Carrs Melts.

I usually ignore the crackers and just eat the cheese and then the desert.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by AJA_
Am I the only one that dislikes the crackers BA serves? The latest Peters Crackers (think that's the brand) are a step up from the awful oatmeal things they used to serve with the cheese but I would much prefer them to serve something like Carrs Water Biscuits or the delightful Carrs Melts.

I usually ignore the crackers and just eat the cheese and then the desert.
Peters Yard sourdough crisp breads:

They're better than those dog awful hexagonal things that were infused with charcoal and included in the previous CE incarnation.

I'm forever hopeful that Hovis biscuits will make an a tray appearance one day.
​​​​​​
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

I'm a "mood of the day" and "depends on which cheese and which dessert" kind of guy, further complicated by the fact that I may not shy away from cheese and two desserts (or rather cheese, fruit, and dessert) which further increases the possibilities!!
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by alex67500
Likewise, I much prefer bread with cheese!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Peters Yard sourdough crisp breads:

They're better than those dog awful hexagonal things that were infused with charcoal and included in the previous CE incarnation.

I'm forever hopeful that Hovis biscuits will make an a tray appearance one day.
​​​​​​
Those are the crackers. I had no idea they were so expensive. BA is either paying way less than the retail price in Waitrose or they are paying through the nose.

Waitrose often does Carr's Cheese Melts for Ł1 but currently selling for Ł1.49. So much nicer. I have good but cheap taste, mind you 3 people left 5 star reviews on the website (none by me I hasten to add).so I am not alone.

Also while I am whinging, who in BA made the decision to offer the horrible packets of roasted almonds from Spain instead of the lovely cashew nuts from Africa they used to serve?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:32 pm

Also while I am whinging, who in BA made the decision to offer the horrible packets of roasted almonds from Spain instead of the lovely cashew nuts from Africa they used to serve?
Perhaps they were given to IAG procurement as a treat for signing off on these nasty burnt almonds that nobody likes???

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 13, 2019 at 5:42 am Reason: To comply with rule 12.3 (unnecessarily provocative characterisation)
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
There are few cheeses that I do not like - the main one being Roquefort as it is just too salty for my taste.
A perfect excuse for a large glass of Sauternes Madame!

I must confess to quite liking the BA almonds, not over salted and pop down a treat. Packaging looks cheap and naff though.

On second thoughts, with Pucci around I must be careful admitting to enjoying a salty bite.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:25 am

I'm not sure you should be saying things like "pop down a treat" either 🤔
Oh well at least one person likes the almonds, I think you're in the minority though given the number of passengers who rejected them on my most recent flight.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:30 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by krispy84

A perfect excuse for a large glass of Sauternes Madame!

I must confess to quite liking the BA almonds, not over salted and pop down a treat. Packaging looks cheap and naff though.

On second thoughts, with Pucci around I must be careful admitting to enjoying a salty bite.

Now. Mr Salty. I come to this place determined to be a Good Girl and within seconds you ply my with a White Wine that would go to my head in seconds. I do not like sweet white wines. I find them too cloying and go straight to my head. I am totally irresponsible and am liable to say or do anything. Be warned.

I am delighted with the almonds as I love them. Far better then this anemic looking sad tasteless old things that they used to serve. I’d love them to serve my favourite nuts. Pistachios. American used to do this so well and now they just have cheap old peanuts with a couple of walnuts for good measure.

Now if they were to heat the nuts in Band 4 I’d be delighted. Mindful of the slant put on anything that an Ingenue such as moi-self might utter - Heaven would be a ramekin of oven hot nuts and ice cold Champagne. Nicholas Feuillate will do nicely, thank you!
alex67500 likes this.

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Aug 13, 2019 at 2:43 am
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'm a "mood of the day" and "depends on which cheese and which dessert" kind of guy, further complicated by the fact that I may not shy away from cheese and two desserts (or rather cheese, fruit, and dessert) which further increases the possibilities!!
I could have three puddings if I am given the opportunity.

There was a very strange looking cake that I was going to forgo having on an SQ flight the other day, but the lovely cabin crew member said it was really lovely and recommended having it. I thought, what the heck, I'd try it - and my goodness, it was lovely! She asked if I wanted a second helping and I was soooo tempted but I resisted the temptation after spending some time in Malaysia having an afternoon tea (with clotted cream) every day which was probably worth about 5 portions of naughtiness.

I know CE Afternoon Tea is probably a bit like marmite but I like it when served up occasionally. Yet, due to my flying habits I rarely get to enjoy the Rodda's clotted cream. I'm usually on Band 4, or on evening flights.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:41 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I could have three puddings if I am given the opportunity.

There was a very strange looking cake that I was going to forgo having on an SQ flight the other day, but the lovely cabin crew member said it was really lovely and recommended having it. I thought, what the heck, I'd try it - and my goodness, it was lovely! She asked if I wanted a second helping and I was soooo tempted but I resisted the temptation after spending some time in Malaysia having an afternoon tea (with clotted cream) every day which was probably worth about 5 portions of naughtiness.

I know CE Afternoon Tea is probably a bit like marmite but I like it when served up occasionally. Yet, due to my flying habits I rarely get to enjoy the Rodda's clotted cream. I'm usually on Band 4, or on evening flights.
clearly, Dear Mrs @LTN Phobia, does not have to concern herself with the adage A Moment On The Hips, A Lifetime On The Hips. I’d start putting on pounds looking at one dessert (you see dozens of puddings flying to and from Alicante. Most of them come from Crawley and South London and sit in ET. ) let alone three. Lucky Girl. So unfair. ������
alex67500 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I do not like sweet white wines. I find them too cloying and go straight to my head.

Ma'am, the more I read from you, the more tasteful you appear! I can't understand my compatriots' minds when they insist on it. Grape cordial is what I call it. "Very nice foie gras, but can I have the red Rully back please? Give that syrup to the kids"

Heaven would be a ramekin of oven hot nuts and ice cold Champagne. Nicholas Feuillate will do nicely, thank you!
I'll resist the urge, as you pleaded, but I would have a Laurent Perrier with it -- not necessarily the GS, the Ultra Brut will do just fine
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.