Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe catering | opinions and general discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club Europe catering | opinions and general discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I know CE Afternoon Tea is probably a bit like marmite but I like it when served up occasionally. Yet, due to my flying habits I rarely get to enjoy the Rodda's clotted cream. I'm usually on Band 4, or on evening flights.
I'm on the other end of the "afternoon tea marmite" scale. In fact, really hoping that my attempt at gluten free for today will save me from the ghastly sandwiches and better but unbearably repetitive ploughman's.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'm on the other end of the "afternoon tea marmite" scale. In fact, really hoping that my attempt at gluten free for today will save me from the ghastly sandwiches and better but unbearably repetitive ploughman's.
I don't think scotch eggs are gluten free so you should be safe from them too!

(I actually miss the fruit platter as one of the CE meal options. That used to be my favourite, along with seafood meal which often got me kedgeree instead of the boring breakfast.)
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue, Virgin Flying Club
I remember the joy of the full cooked breakfast in Economy coming down to London from Scotland. Great memories.
The decision to compete on price in economy with the low-costs is something I continue to wonder about.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 4:41 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Colawarsveteran
I remember the joy of the full cooked breakfast in Economy coming down to London from Scotland. Great memories.
The decision to compete on price in economy with the low-costs is something I continue to wonder about.
The whole aircraft was served a cooked breakfast LGW-MAN. And still they complained on here. You cannot win
alex67500, rog747 and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Another U-turn on the recent years of cost cutting would be to go back to larger meal trays but I’m guessing this also has something to do with the trolleys too. At least you could fit a larger starter on the tray if they did go back to larger trays.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Another U-turn on the recent years of cost cutting would be to go back to larger meal trays but I’m guessing this also has something to do with the trolleys too. At least you could fit a larger starter on the tray if they did go back to larger trays.
Aegean also fits 180 seats on an A320 Neo and has the full tray in J, so it’s definitely possible!
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
They cannot go to the larger meal trays as they've removed galley space at the back to fit toilets instead and extra row of seats without window.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by megaloman
They cannot go to the larger meal trays as they've removed galley space at the back to fit toilets instead and extra row of seats without window.
How does Aegean do it with the same layout on an A320? Do they limit business class more?
Old Aug 21, 2023, 3:03 am

I have a general CE question. For the blocked middle seats, I assume its possible/acceptable to ask the cabin crew to remove the portable tray from the middle if we wanted? My daughter is likely to want to lay down on my lap across all 3 seats.

Following on from that, on a standard A320 do the armrests move up or are they fixed - else there will be no laying down!

EDIT (whoops I've just seen this is the catering thread!)
Old Aug 21, 2023, 3:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So yes it is possible to ask the crew to remove the table. Apart from row 1, the arm rests in between the three seats can be raised.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 3:33 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
So yes it is possible to ask the crew to remove the table. Apart from row 1, the arm rests in between the three seats can be raised.
But in my experience you can’t count on them knowing how to do, they aren’t trained on it, it’s normally done by ground staff. Generally speaking if they know how they will, and on one occasion actually offered to do it for my little one.

Either way, you can request a pillow and blanket which should be loaded in big blue bag in an overhead locker on most flights.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Am I imagining it or did CE in about 2016 have a separate "large plate" starter, which they took away to bring you your main course? Those were the days...
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Yes correct. Much more substantial than the micro pots and also helped draw out the meal on what can be quite a long flight to southern Europe with no IFE or lie flats.
choosethedrew, the810 and KARFA like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 10:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
the problem is the service ended up taking ages as there was a lot of going backwards and forwards bring things, then taking plates away, then bringing the main course.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 10:45 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Deltus
Am I imagining it or did CE in about 2016 have a separate "large plate" starter, which they took away to bring you your main course? Those were the days...
They did. I cannot remember it being that large and it certainly was not made up with all these grains that are fashionable today. However it was obvious to me that it was very difficult on some of the Band 3 services that it was a real push. You got out the drinks then you serve the tray and starter and then take in the starter and serve the main (why do the Americans insist on calling it the entrée as it isn't - the starter is?). Then they were serving wine from full bottles. On an Alicante with possibly up to 14 rows of Club, it takes precision. So that went - whilst it would still work for Band 4 or those CAI length flights. Then came Covid and everything went west.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.