Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe catering | opinions and general discussion

Club Europe catering | opinions and general discussion

Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Emma Cocker
not enough food or no choice? Either way I'd be (very quietly) mad, but i would be raging if there was not actually enough meals to feed everyone.
Not enough meals strangely.
Two ordered special meals and two regular brunches were on board for a five man club europe cabin.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by InsomniaBA
Not enough meals strangely.
Two ordered special meals and two regular brunches were on board for a five man club europe cabin.
did you get a chance to spy on the spml? I’d be interested to know!!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:08 am

kidneys ahhhh

Originally Posted by orbitmic
i'm afraid it hasn't made an appearance on CE menus for a very, very long time!

And for the records, I wish those of you who fight for black pudding in English breakfast (agree) would add kidneys to their plea (just as necessary!!) If you're gonna do it, do it well is what I say!!

(on a serious note, on the face of it and whilst waiting to experience all this in person to confirm my judgement, I despise the look of almost all the changes BA are proposing here except precisely the reintroduction of a cold plate option for breakkie which I very much welcome!)
kidneys

Our best breakfast at BMA when I joined in 1977 was served on the MME-LHR 0725 departure, a DC-9
big sausage, smoked bacon, mushrooms and kidneys - all in their juices and much tastier once arrived they at LHR and we snapped up any leftovers!

The Teesside flight catering was supplied by the old George airport hotel next door...awesome
orbitmic and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by rog747
kidneys

Our best breakfast at BMA when I joined in 1977 was served on the MME-LHR 0725 departure, a DC-9
big sausage, smoked bacon, mushrooms and kidneys - all in their juices and much tastier once arrived they at LHR and we snapped up any leftovers!

The Teesside flight catering was supplied by the old George airport hotel next door...awesome
Oh how I remember that! MME-LHR was my first ever flight on a BD BAC1-11 so about a decade earlier but the catering was always exceptional.
rog747 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:06 am

Good Lord one of the 3 original BMA BAC 1-11 500 series bought in 1970 for charter flights
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
BA1445 catering

Today I had a rare daytime flight; most of my weekly jaunts are breakfast or dinner, and I was in CE. I chose the coronation chicken.

The food was excellent! Really tasty main, the bread was nice and warm, and the chocolate mousse was fantastic.

I need to change my flight schedule! The EDI to LCY/LGW/LHR breakfasts are getting tired .

I don’t know if BA monitor this forum, but today’s catering was a definite thumbs up.

I’m now in Galleries South awaiting my ARN flight; hopefully the theme will continue....

Jim
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Have a look at the following topic, it provides more information about the new CE catering: Club Europe catering | menus, reviews and photos
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Cheers....I’m usually a lap behind.....
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I have spoken to a couple of good friends who are either SH crew or Pursers. (but no MF crew). They are genuinely pleased with the product, and a recurring theme is being proud to serve the product. I always think it makes such a difference when employees can endorse the product, enthuse about the service, and be proud of what they're doing.

There has been consistent comment on the loads for each being wrong with the same things running out. (covered elsewhere in the thread). I assume they feed this back and BA caterers take not. It's not rocket science to have software on the Purser's tablet confirming choices of PAX, and where 1st / 2nd choices were not available. You could analyse second choices too to look for patterns. Simple algorithms would quickly calculate an accurate stab on choices on any day, on any flight and even by load. Imagine looking at the PAX's previous choices based on their Exec club membership. Add a reasonable % as described elsewhere in over catering and the problem should largely go away. (perhaps BA already do this) And don't forget DO&CO only start in 2020, and so though there are various DO&CO products on the tray, the current caterer is producing the product overall.

I'd be curious on the amount of leftovers too. It's not Club World food, but a simple of survey of the number of economy pretzel breakfast rolls with cream cheese would tell BA it's vile, rarely chosen and rarely finished!

Insiders may know, but I'm assuming BA asked crew as well as customers. Customer insight and focus groups is massive, and herding (the collective verb for managing FFs) a few hundred Exec club members who travel club would tell BA what to keep menu wise and where to make the changes. Even if they had run sample groups of 20 - they would have got a really good feel for the split in choices on random groups, or at different times of days, different destinations etc

Finally, my (anon) friends all said that there was often insufficient time to complete the service as per the book. They had worked out short cuts already and admitted they were already faster with a few tricks and familiarity. One contributor in the thread talked about 4 crew on a A319 which I thought was +1 unless it's done on busy routes where two are needed in club??

I'm really thrilled that BA have done this. Cynically, its been forced in my opinion from poor online reviews, complaints and their dropping in ranking (on some sites). The costs - particularly the start up costs are large, but the delta in the food bill can't be that large per person. Perhaps 10-15 quid. It will be interesting to see whether club prices rise, or it's a genuine attempt to focus on quality. The more subtle nudge from BA is to extend the gulf between Economy and Club so (other than the seating which we all hate), the delta between the two fares can be justified with a better food offering. More than once, I've declined club europe as the price difference for a silver / gold member comes down to free booze and food. (with bags, security, check in, lounge and boarding already provided.) On a shorter flight, you're better off having a slap up meal in T5 and pocket the difference.

Based in Toronto, I fly business class on AC. I look forward to comparing the offering on a 2-4 hour flight on the two carriers.

WELL DONE BA - now lets see what they do with Premium Economy long haul!! (my pet hate)

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 18, 2018 at 1:22 am Reason: remove duplicated content
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC, Silver
Child’s Meal

any insight into what a child’s meal will be like on LGW-EDI departing at 1120?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
What’s the current menu rotation at LGW? I recall LHR being different or more frequent with the menu rotation. Specifically I’m thinking Band3 rest of day.

Albeit I’m not necessarily looking spoilers just interested whether the menu are monthly rotations at LGW? Or am I asking too much?
george77300 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
What’s the current menu rotation at LGW? I recall LHR being different or more frequent with the menu rotation. Specifically I’m thinking Band3 rest of day.

Albeit I’m not necessarily looking spoilers just interested whether the menu are monthly rotations at LGW? Or am I asking too much?
AFAIK it is new rotation every two weeks at LHR. Then every month (or four weeks?) at LGW. Not sure the days they swap either. There will be more information in the other thread: Club Europe catering | menus, reviews and photos

^
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Monthly rotations for LGW, every 2 weeks for LHR. I think the plan is for LGW to also go to either every 2 weeks or twice monthly at some point.
rockflyertalk and george77300 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by george77300
AFAIK it is new rotation every two weeks at LHR. Then every month (or four weeks?) at LGW. Not sure the days they swap either. There will be more information in the other thread: Club Europe catering | menus, reviews and photos

^
Thanks for the response. I started my reply in the other thread and then decided to cut and paste it to this thread, a) to avoid side discussions and b) it’s good to keep this thread going.

Glad the rotations are more frequent than I originally thought. Thanks also to CWS reply
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Platinum
Ok - stupid question time.

the only time I ever get served cheese and crackers with a sweet desert is on a BA flight. Which am I supposed to eat first ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.