Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe catering | opinions and general discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club Europe catering | opinions and general discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Charlie26r

I’ve actually (thanks to BA) renounced my faith; the kosher offering on board was dreadful, once you got into it! I shall return to the delights of a cooked breakfast from hereon in.
What an incredibly sensible decision: vive le petit-déjeuner anglais ^
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Charlie26r

I’ve actually (thanks to BA) renounced my faith; the kosher offering on board was dreadful, once you got into it! I shall return to the delights of a cooked breakfast from hereon in.
I pre-ordered a Hindu breakfast for you to try next time, I hear @KARFA is collecting pictures for his new guide 'How to choose your religion based on BA breakfast offering'
orbitmic, wrp96, Tobias-UK and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Indeed. I am one of those old fashioned people who believe that eggs should actually come out of shells rather than out of cartons in the form of indescribable mixtures that contain an absurd list of dodgy additives, thickeners, colourings, etc. Unfortunately, BA and most airlines disagree with me (exceptions include CX F, AF F, OS long haul J, etc) and both regular and kosher eggy breakfasts are thus off limit for me.

I think my strategy is as follows on bands 1/2 (former short and medium):

Breakfast: I'll give the new cold plate one try. If I'll like it, I'll stick to it, if not I'll revert to my current choice of AVML
Brunch: Unless I like the cold plate in 1, I'll continue costing BA extra money extra money by ordering KSML
Lunch/Dinner: Again, I'll give the new salads one try. If they have become significantly bigger and better, I'll give them a chance, if not, again, it will be KSML
Afternoon tea: I don't plan to even try that as it is a concept I personally dislike, and will order either Gluten Free or AVML.
Sensible approach Sir
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

Breakfast: I'll give the new cold plate one try. If I'll like it, I'll stick to it, if not I'll revert to my current choice of AVML
I hope BA brings back the smoked salmon plate. You'll surely be on a breakfast flight before me so please do report back re what's on offer.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by headingwest
Still trying to get my head around why MAD is band 3 but VIE has been relegated to band 2, even though it's further away from LHR.
Not sure how many IAG senior management visit VIE on a regular basis...
headingwest likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I hope BA brings back the smoked salmon plate. You'll surely be on a breakfast flight before me so please do report back re what's on offer.
My understanding is that the breakfast/brunch cold plate is due to alternate between a couple of versions of cold meats and smoked salmon. For brunch, unless things change radically, the KSML should involved smoked or cured salmon every time (including a rather nice beetroot cured one!)

Last edited by orbitmic; Sep 12, 2018 at 5:54 am
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

KSML often has salmon smoked, or plated sashimi fish, especially on band 1/2
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
While lhr gets news catering. My ams-lgw flight didnt have enough meals to serve to all five club europe passengers this morning 🤔

No option to choose from the BoB menu either. Thought that was policy nowadays?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
One of the great paradoxes of the "reform" is that when I spoke to crew in the weeks before launch, they were persuaded (and happy) that the change notably meant that "Medium" band flights would see a return of hot lunches and dinners as so many of us requested and as so many of them supported.

Not only is this not happening - all medium routes are downgraded to band 2 and retain the small cold salads for lunch and dinner instead albeit with a choice of two instead of the panino option - but in fact, some passengers flying the former "long" bands will now be downgraded to the small medium salads too.

Indeed, officially, BA are merely "adding an additional choice" in the name of diversity. However, we all know how they manage their catering so it is "just" rather than wasteful, and it is already the case that by the time the crew reach the last few rows of the CE cabin, there is no more choice and you basically get whatever is left. With BA now "squeezing the lemon pips" as beautifully and metaphorically summarised by CIHY, this situation will certainly not improve. In many cases, BA will get their loadings right and there will be enough people who will want the small salad instead of a hot main. In other cases, however, there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever, that some people sat at the back of the cabin will simply have a choice to "enjoy" the small medium chicken salad or nothing on their 5 hour dinner flight from Cyprus.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Well, knock me down with a curlew’s tail-feather. MLA-LGW (Band 4) today had the new catering (served by Titan)

Gatwick is in there with the Big Boys!!

I’ll post a review on the the other Catering thread tomorrow once I’m home and have dowloaded from my camera.

* BTW, I didn’t start this Thread. My early post was left in pole position when the Mods did some post-juggling!!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
One of the great paradoxes of the "reform" is that when I spoke to crew in the weeks before launch, they were persuaded (and happy) that the change notably meant that "Medium" band flights would see a return of hot lunches and dinners as so many of us requested and as so many of them supported.

Not only is this not happening - all medium routes are downgraded to band 2 and retain the small cold salads for lunch and dinner instead albeit with a choice of two instead of the panino option
Yes, this is very disappointing indeed. I'm just hoping that the new cold salads are more substantial than the previous versions.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'd replace the awful scrambled eggs in the full breakfast with a slice of black pudding and a dollop of beans.

Much more suitable to being reheated on a plane.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed. I am one of those old fashioned people who believe that eggs should actually come out of shells
How preposterously decadent. Why not expecting poultry to be involved in their production while you are at it.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by volar
Yes, this is very disappointing indeed.
The minute anything leaked, it was clear what was up. In the end, bulk of my SH flights remain the old mediums, which have again gotten the royal shaft

Oh well...
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:55 pm

If you choose the salad option on a band 3 flight you will get exactly the same option as band 1 plus two pieces of cheese and crackers. Has anyone else made the same conclusion based on the pictures shown. Any how the food looks like to be anything from OK to excellent.

Before two of three rotations on long band used to have a fish option and also the starter was often seafood in 2/3 cases. I hope that seafood will be offered often also in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.