Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do&Co win massive catering deal (from 2020) for BA in LHR and IB & I2 in MAD

Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Worthy of its own thread and part of it is currently buried in New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding - experiences and reactions

High grade Austrian caterer Do&Co win a 10 year catering contract from spring 2020 to supply BA, Iberia and Iberia Express from their respective hubs in London Heathrow and Madrid.

In the linked thread above, Newcrest gets the LGW contact for BA.

So will the quality and taste of the catering improve dramatically? Either way, good move with Do&Co having a really good rep.

Some links (in German)
- https://diepresse.com/home/wirtschaf...ue-Mitarbeiter

Timing might be questionable but Do&Co need to build vastly larger kitchens and hire thousands more staff in preparation for taking on this contract. Why does it take until spring 2020?

... (slightly related but off the main topic)
Well, I would urge people to search for what happened with Asiana Airlines after it ditched LSG as its caterer, which involved murky bribe requests, the chairman of the airline/parent company, and ultimately tragic consequences. Either way, Asiana had weeks of flights without catered food especially on long haul after a chaotic change in catering supplier and unfortunate events.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Do&Co's LHR kitchen will be familiar to many here, it's over the road from the Hilton Garden Inn at Hatton Cross. Currently it provides the shorthaul catering and the JFK service. I'm guessing the addition of all of longhaul and Iberia will add so much extra workload that it will need to add to the company's premises.

Newrest - who have a chequered history in terms of management buy-outs, already supply BACF / LCY from their Barking kitchen. They don't have a production facility in the LGW area so I presume they too are going to create one near there - I'm not sure it's a great idea to send trucks from their LHR facility at Poyle (near T5) around the M25 every day.

The big losers here are Alpha catering, who currently do LGW's short and longhaul (and on shorthaul it wasn't as good as LHR frankly). Their owner is dnata. And Gate Gourmet, who do longhaul LHR apart from JFK.
orbitmic and argonath like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Great ... LGW remains in the 2nd Division
RDinJER and AmaaiZeg like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:42 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Would Gate Gourmet sell some facilities to Do&Co?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by T8191
Glass half full perspective perhaps. We rarely hear complaints about BACF's LCY and STN catering, if anything they cram too much food on to their trays.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by T8191
I always thought the JER breakfast was good, albeit a little rushed.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Would Gate Gourmet sell some facilities to Do&Co?
May well do, and I imagine there could be quite a big TUPE list here too.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
if anything they cram too much food on to their trays.
or off it!! The other day, I saw the vegetarian meal had a tomato focaccia type thing which had to be brought separately as it just could not possibly fit on the tray!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:36 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by SinoBritAsia
Why does it take until spring 2020?
It doesnt... its likely theyre contracted to the current provider until then or are contractually obligated to give 12 months notice to terminate.

Its also In line with the string of carrots and promises of improvment on the horizon BA management seem to lay out to stem the flow of complaints and prevent customers bound to commitments like exec club from defecting.

Kind of a please dont leave, by the time youre done with all the trouble of switching the service will be back to something that meets the expected standards approach to customer retention and stickiness.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Do and Co supply the CWLCY service which I’ve always found to be very good quality.

Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1

May well do, and I imagine there could be quite a big TUPE list here too.
If people on TUPE list are the one's deciding how much crap to put in to make a salad, the product is still going to be same ? The packaging changes, the menu changes, but the taste stays the same ? Or maybe will get 2 cherry tomatoes instead of 1.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:37 am

I expect that much like when the lounge contracts changed hands, staff and premises will be transferred over too. It's a huge job and it leaves Gate Gourmet with a massive amount of capacity they no longer need.

Whether it is good for the passenger or not really comes down to whether there is more money being spent than in the previous one, details none of us will likely ever know.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Now as good as this is and it really is very good news Do&Co are reliant on the BA budget and believe me BA not only squeeze the lemon they squeeze the pips.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
You would hope that Do and Co would only take this on if they think they are going to be able to produce food to their current standards - it would be very damaging to their brand if they start churning out inferior rubbish, although I guess they could take the BA approach that a quick buck is more important than.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Now as good as this is and it really is very good news Do&Co are reliant on the BA budget and believe me BA not only squeeze the lemon they squeeze the pips.
That is a good point, have BA actually said anything about the budget.

Do&Co do all the catering for TK which is normally very good.
Dover2Golf likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.