FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Club Europe catering | menus, reviews and photos (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1930092-club-europe-catering-menus-reviews-photos.html)

EJetter Sep 13, 2018 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Luceebow (Post 30196165)
Good afternoon

I am flying from Bristol going to Florence in Club Europe.

Has anyone else done this and how does this effect the catering available and what band would the nightfall in?

Many thanks

Florence falls into band 2L (medium leisure). Hot breakfast until 10:30, cold dinner until 16:59 and hot dinner after 17:00.

I'm guessing you're on BA7017 at 13:10 so cold dinner: warm bread, appetiser, a main course salad and a dessert.

By way of example here is this week's menu:

Bresaola, tomato & turmeric houmous (appetiser)

Grilled tiger prawns with a Thai glass noodle, spring onion, celery and tomato salad served with an Asian dressing
or
Spicy pulled beef with water chestnuts, carrots and crispy onions served with a chilli, lime and lemongrass dressing

Milk & dark chocolate mousse cake with raspberry coulis

flyingscotsman Sep 13, 2018 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by zappomatic (Post 30201126)
Florence falls into band 2L (medium leisure). Hot breakfast until 10:30, cold dinner until 16:59 and hot dinner after 17:00.

I'm guessing you're on BA7017 at 13:10 so cold dinner: warm bread, appetiser, a main course salad and a dessert.

By way of example here is this week's menu:

Bresaola, tomato & turmeric houmous (appetiser)

Grilled tiger prawns with a Thai glass noodle, sprig onion, celery and tomato salad served with an Asian dressing
or
Spicy pulled beef with water chestnuts, carrots and crispy onions served with a chilli, lime and lemongrass dressing

Milk & dark chocolate mousse cake with raspberry coulis

you seem to know about the LCY bands - I don't have a clue and it would be nice to know if you could share them!

flyingscotsman Sep 13, 2018 6:11 pm

nightstop breakfast

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30198445)
Band 1 breakfast (Vegetarian)
BA723 GVA to LHR off a nightstop

The nightstop may be relevant to the fact that there were only two choices, the hot British as shown upthread, or the hot vegetarian omelette, which features in this post’s picture. There wasn't the cold plate option available. It's possible it wasn't loaded but my suspicion is that it isn't safe to keep this dish at ambient for an overnight stop in Geneva. It was 25c at midnight last night.

So I went for the cheese omelette with parmentier potatoes and asparagus tips. To be clear, this isn't the pre-ordered special meal. And it was much better than I expected with a good texture and a real taste to it It may be difficult to wean me off bacon but I would be very happy to have this again.

Note the fruit salad instead of yoghurt, the croissant and the flapjack, so plenty to eat.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...813f57aaa7.jpg

for those that haven't spotted this is a half tray - not a 3/4 tray like the rest used in Club Europe. So it looks like anyone on a night stop breakfast service get a half tray - as in the days of the old domestic breakfast service. For those lucky enough to be on Band 3/4 you will have the addition of a breakfast bar - nothing else it seems!

orbitmic Sep 13, 2018 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by flyingscotsman (Post 30201294)
for those that haven't spotted this is a half tray - not a 3/4 tray like the rest used in Club Europe. So it looks like anyone on a night stop breakfast service get a half tray - as in the days of the old domestic breakfast service. For those lucky enough to be on Band 3/4 you will have the addition of a breakfast bar - nothing else it seems!

Actually, my understanding is that the main difference is that bands 3-4 get the yoghurt AND the fruit as opposed to one of the two. Are you sure that the other CE services are 3/4 trays? I thought it was half trays for all services now? (and indeed, that moving to half trays was part of the reason for the catering changes given the constraints of the NEO galleys)

stu1985 Sep 14, 2018 2:06 am

ABZ - LHR, Breakfast Band 1

Two choices this morning - full English or cheese omelette with asparagus and potato. I went for the second option. Really tasty - lots of cheese in the omelette. Accompanied by a Buck's Fizz.

Coffee - massive improvement - it actually tastes like coffee and not just dishwater. Crew seemed proud of new service.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1886/...39f5c703_c.jpg

Big tick!

corporate-wage-slave Sep 14, 2018 3:08 am

Originally Posted by stu1985 (Post 30202224)

Two choices this morning - full English or cheese omelette with asparagus and potato. I went for the second option. Really tasty - lots of cheese in the omelette. Accompanied by a Buck's Fizz.

Coffee - massive improvement - it actually tastes like coffee and not just dishwater. Crew seemed proud of new service.

I presume this was a night stop? Again the smaller tray compared (e.g.) to the LHR-IST sector and similar to my GVA offering. The previous non British breakfast hot option used to be fairly lamentable on night stops, tasteless and watery, But essentially what has happened is they have used the cheese as the source of moisture (which you need for the heating process) and fat (for longevity) and used a fairly strong flavour cheese to make it very palatable as well as presentable. Cleverer than it looks. Coffee, totally agree, it's a massive improvement. It's quite a fair bit stronger too, so the milk portion as provided barely colours the milk, but so far all my coffees (and teas) have been given milk off the trolley's or galley's silver jug.

BAECAddict Sep 14, 2018 4:48 am

Originally Posted by stu1985 (Post 30202224)

Big tick!

This was completely my experience this morning coming back from BRU. Coffee was excellent and indeed the crew were asking people what they thought of it. I responded positively!

TheJayHatch Sep 14, 2018 5:29 am

Originally Posted by bwaflyer (Post 30196847)
there should be two choices of white, and two of red (as per the menu photos above).

There should, but there wasn't. CSM seemed to think it was now only one choice - which did strike me as odd. This was the same on the RTN (although the single white, a "sauvignon blanc", was in fact a not-unreasonable Macon-Villages...)

Red Thai Curry, by the way, was excellent. I've no complaints on the new menu thus far.

NWIFlyer Sep 14, 2018 6:04 am

A number of posts have been removed which arose from a personal attack on a contributor which was uncalled for, highly inaccurate and added nothing whatsoever to the thread. Those who persist in doing such things, particularly as experienced posters, should not need to be reminded of rules 5, 12, 13 and 15, but they might be well advised to re-acquaint themselves with them.

NWIFlyer
Moderator - BA forum

corporate-wage-slave Sep 14, 2018 7:25 am

Band 3 Rest of the day (lunch)
Rome FCO to LHR BA549

Moving on. This was a lightly loaded service with about 15 in CE spread over 7 rows, but two EF crew for Club, another two for EuroTraveller, it was an A319 aircraft.

I think this is the one of the last LHR food options without a photo upthread, namely the ravioli, but they issued the same printed menu as shown in post 59, with the other Main options being the red Thai chicken or the cold plate Coronation chicken.

There was a drinks service before the food was served.

This tray was fine, though eating airline pasta when departing from the Eternal City is a bit silly. Some of the ravioli edges were a bit dried out, not badly so, the ricotta filling was close to melt point. This was my first taste of the triple chocolate mousse and though it isn't a large portion it is very rich. It would be a challenge to eat more, and the amount of food was good for the flight distance and timing.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...42a9241d2f.jpg

[For the record I am just a customer of BA and a former IAG shareholder, nothing else. I have never had dealings with any social media or related teams in BA, IB, IAG, commercial referrals or anyone else, unlike some other online commentators. The only exception was access to the project manager for the new CW thread which was noted therein. These posts are solely my own handiwork and opinions. So there.]

volar Sep 14, 2018 7:52 am

One of my posts got lost in the clean-up above, so I will ask again...
We know that there are new mugs, the same as the CW ones, but have the plates and dishes remained the same? They look the same to me from the pictures, the only difference seems to be that they are no longer serving the hot dishes resting on a further plate (which I'm told was the service standard previously). This is a good thing in my view, as that extra plate just added clutter.

bwaflyer Sep 14, 2018 10:00 am

Originally Posted by volar (Post 30202951)
One of my posts got lost in the clean-up above, so I will ask again...
We know that there are new mugs, the same as the CW ones, but have the plates and dishes remained the same? They look the same to me from the pictures, the only difference seems to be that they are no longer serving the hot dishes resting on a further plate (which I'm told was the service standard previously). This is a good thing in my view, as that extra plate just added clutter.

The charger plate was simply there so we could handle the hot meal without having to use our lovely oven gloves in the cabin. As we are now putting the hot meal straight on the tray, it's no longer needed. The small bowls are new as are the glass bowls for the desserts.

SleepySynapse Sep 14, 2018 10:38 am

"Express" afternoon tea

I don't think we have any "express" reports yet? I can do a dinner on Sunday too, unless I'm beaten to it!

"Express" afternoon tea
LHR-MAN, departing 4pm

Exactly the same as BAECAddict's band 1 post (#90): three decent mini sandwiches (the mini prawn roll slightly soggy, if I'm really looking to be critical), plus a very good battenburg cake and fresh-tasting warm scones. Rodda's clotted cream and Tiptree strawberry jam pre-loaded on the tray. Note that there was no choice of meal on this flight.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...089728f97f.jpg

I rarely fly short afternoon tea flights (and Club today was unplanned), so don't feel I can compare to the previous offering. However this was certainly a good, length-appropriate, light meal - and the cake/scones particularly were very good. I'm certainly happy with this on a 35-minute flight. (still to experience a band 2 though...)

corporate-wage-slave Sep 14, 2018 11:35 am

Band 1 Afternoon Tea (Ploughman's)
LHR-MUC BA954

I am not adding much with this photo, other than a different angle on the Battemberg cake. And confirmation that the Ploughman's and scones combo is absolutely fine.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a011439ebb.jpg

I had one scone at the start of the service and I was offered another after everyone else had been served. There are also fruit loaf slices available. The other passenger across the aisle, who was tiny, scoffed 3 scones somehow.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9f8954fca1.jpg

I overhead some passengers complaining about the lack of options for vegetarians. The CSM explained that it was best to pre-order, but she managed to remove some items from the Afternoon Tea tray and had the scone basket to offer.

This was my only Mixed Fleet flight since Wednesday, 11 passengers in Club. The CSM ran the service entirely from the galley since this was a A319 with three Cain crew, so there wasn't a trolley run. ET was half full, but the next MUC flight was only 45 minutes later and was apparently more heavily loaded.

T8191 Sep 14, 2018 11:43 am

Only had the Ploughman’s once, I think. I enjoyed it very much. I can’t make up my mind whether that is better or not (in the core content).

... but the overall lack of space on the mini-trays is very inconvenient. We find ourselves shuffling everything onto the middle seat tray to be able to operate!