Luggage Charges

Old Sep 11, 18, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
Luggage Charges

Hello All,

Not seen this before so wondering if anybody can offer advice. Travelling later this week to IAH. Booking is in the Economy Low Fare bucket (eg 10TPs SH, 35 TPs LH) but checking in it says I will have to pay extra for my checked luggage? I didnít think BA sold hand baggage only fares in those buckets (booking classes K, L, M, N, S, V). Maybe they do and Iíve just not picked up on it or been caught out by it before?
Old Sep 11, 18, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Did you buy one of these? AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced I can't remember off the top of my head whether they are sold in many different booking classes like short-haul basic fares, but that might account for what you see.
Old Sep 11, 18, 7:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Your e-ticket receipt should state what your baggage allowance is.

BA's HBO longhaul fares come in all booking classes up to, and including, H. You won't be able to say whether you purchased an HBO fare just by looking at the booking class. HBO fares include 'B' in their designation (MKW8C1B4 will be an HBO fare, while MKW8C1M4 will include a checked bag).

Last edited by Andriyko; Sep 11, 18 at 7:44 am
Old Sep 11, 18, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
Booking classes for the 4 flights are N, L, K, M so all ďEconomy LowĒ but sure enough it would appear that no luggage included according to the corporate TA receipt.... now thatís a pain as when I was there for three days last month I didnít need it, but this time itís more than a week and I do. Ah well....
Old Sep 12, 18, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Just on this I checked the prices to check the bag yesterday online and it looked like £40 for each flight (total £80), i know it said itís cheaper to do it before but I left it and today at the airport was charged £45 total for the two flights. That canít be right surely?
Old Sep 12, 18, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by duncgor View Post
Just on this I checked the prices to check the bag yesterday online and it looked like £40 for each flight (total £80), i know it said itís cheaper to do it before but I left it and today at the airport was charged £45 total for the two flights. That canít be right surely?
It can't be right that paying for something in advance is cheaper than paying for it on demand?

I can think of many things that are priced this way, to encourage you to book online and save the supplier costs.
Old Sep 12, 18, 3:07 am
Original Poster

It was the other way round. It looked like it cost £80 to book it ahead of time and only £45 to do it at the airport. Thatís backwards, but maybe the two £40 charges were just £40, I canít believe BA would get away with charging more....
Old Sep 12, 18, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
These should have been the prices https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...l-economy.html so for one bag it should be £40 in advance and £45 at the airport one way.

Was the £80 price quoted on MMB perhaps for a return?
Old Sep 12, 18, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by duncgor View Post
It was the other way round. It looked like it cost £80 to book it ahead of time and only £45 to do it at the airport. Thatís backwards, but maybe the two £40 charges were just £40, I canít believe BA would get away with charging more....
Aha, yes the return price was cheaper. Perhaps they were asking for volunteers to check luggage on your outbound flight? Did you receive a text message or notice any announcements at the gate?
Old Sep 12, 18, 3:19 am

Are you sure the £45 is on a return basis rather than just for the one way?