Confused about code share flights

Old Sep 10, 18, 6:44 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33
Confused about code share flights

we will be going on a transatlantic cruise from Florida to Copenhagen next spring and have been researching for good price on Business Class fares to fly back to Vancouver from Copenhagen. We donít have points of significance on any FF plan so best product for cheapest price is what we are looking for.
The cruise line web site has incredible prices for one way flights, around $1500 per person, Business Class.
But I am really confused about the way they list them and what drawbacks or advantages might come with some of them.
for instance for same exact flight times and layovers (one, in LHR) and price I can choose between:
American Airlines, operated by British Airways.
OR.
First leg, BA second leg, AA, operated by BA.
OR.
BA on both flights.
OR.
BA on first leg, Iberia, operated by BA on second leg.

i am at a loss which to book and want to lock in this price before it is gone. Any help is appreciated.
as for FF programs, I am Canadian, so usually fly from Vancouver or the US, if that makes a difference.
i also have heard that the rules on responsibility for delays and cancellations can be different when flying from different countries - so does choosing BA or AA make a difference with that?

bigenna is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 12:11 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,798
As a general rule, unless there is a price difference or some other reason to prefer a codeshare such as miles earning, then booking on the operating carrier code is best as this reduces complexity and makes managing disruption issues easier.

In your case you should therefore book as all BA flight numbers, as both flights are operated by BA (assuming this is CPH-LHR-YVR).

The rules on delays/cancellations youíre thinking of are probably regulation EU261. In that case the liability depends on the operating carrier so whether you book a codeshare isnít strictly relevant, although the more airlines involved the more likely you are to get the run around. In any event yours is a departure *from* the EU so you would be covered by any airline. If you were flying *to* the EU you would only be covered if the operating airline were an EU carrier (i.e. BA yes, AA no).

Note: as yours is a discounted cruise line ticket it may well not be eligible to earn miles in BA or other schemes - you would have to check with the cruise line about that, or ask BA after you book. Sounds like youíre not too concern about that though.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Sep 11, 18 at 12:21 am
Ldnn1 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 12:41 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: coastal Croatia
Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Posts: 1,959
Since the flights are all the same, it might be best to choose the one that is cheapest unless they are all close in cost in which case, as Ldnn1 said, it would be best to choose the one that is all BA. The general rule seems to be that codeshares should be avoided if possible. I recently booked an AA itinerary in biz with flights operated by Finnair and I can't choose seats until check-in opens.
eefor jfp is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 12:57 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,798
Originally Posted by eefor jfp View Post
Since the flights are all the same, it might be best to choose the one that is cheapest unless they are all close in cost in which case, as Ldnn1 said, it would be best to choose the one that is all BA.
OP has indicated the options are all the same price here.
Ldnn1 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 8:56 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have found out that BA charges for seat selection, even in business class, outside of the 24 hour check in window. Not sure if that would be the case if booked through AA.
If we have one ticket CPH-LHR-YVR, will our luggage be checked right through to Vancouver without us having to transfer it ourselves and thus avoiding going through all the customs/security checks again at LHR?
we plan on making use of one of the lounges at Heathrow, and wonder what your experiences have been, regarding getting to gate on time. What I mean is, if gate time is one hour before, how long would you give yourself between leaving lounge and arriving at gate?
bigenna is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 9:11 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: JAX
Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Samsung Platinum
Posts: 3,042
Seat selection charges are per the operating airline, so BA's policy, no matter which code the flight is booked under.

On one ticket, then baggage will be checked through. You will still need to go through flight connections and security yourself at LHR.
JAXBA is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 9:14 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 37,120
Originally Posted by bigenna View Post
I have found out that BA charges for seat selection, even in business class, outside of the 24 hour check in window. Not sure if that would be the case if booked through AA.
Yes, it'll be the same: the operating airline's rules apply.
Originally Posted by bigenna View Post
If we have one ticket CPH-LHR-YVR, will our luggage be checked right through to Vancouver without us having to transfer it ourselves and thus avoiding going through all the customs/security checks again at LHR?
Your luggage would then be through-checked. You would not have to clear either immigration or customs, and you'd next see your bag at YVR. However, you will have to clear security at LHR, typically within the transfer/connections stream. Because CPH-LHR operates to Terminal 5 and LHR-YVR operates from Terminal 3, that stream includes an airside bus transfer between the terminals; you'd clear security at T3 when you get there.
Originally Posted by bigenna View Post
we plan on making use of one of the lounges at Heathrow, and wonder what your experiences have been, regarding getting to gate on time. What I mean is, if gate time is one hour before, how long would you give yourself between leaving lounge and arriving at gate?
You do not need to be at the gate one hour before departure time. You'll just end up standing in queues when you could have been sitting comfortably in a lounge for longer. The gate closes at T-20m, so if you are there by then you will be fine. IME, it's rare for physical boarding to be complete by that time, but if you are very concerned, you could aim to be at the gate by T-30m. At T3, it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to get to the gate from any of the lounges that will be available to you, assuming that you have no mobility problems.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 4:11 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33
Thank you so much for all the answers.
First hand experience is so much more reliable I’ve found compared to the canned answers you get on the website or phoning in to the airlines, much appreciated.
CloudGazer likes this.
bigenna is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 4:31 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,798
Originally Posted by bigenna View Post
First hand experience is so much more reliable Iíve found compared to the canned answers you get on the website or phoning in to the airlines
Absolutely! Thatís what FT is for

How long is your connection time by the way? I would suggest a good 2.5/3 hours to allow you time to enjoy the excellent lounge facilities in T3.
Ldnn1 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 7:09 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post


Absolutely! Thatís what FT is for

How long is your connection time by the way? I would suggest a good 2.5/3 hours to allow you time to enjoy the excellent lounge facilities in T3.
bigenna is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 7:12 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33
we had a choice of about 2.5 hours or 5.5 and decided to go with the second. Yes, hopefully all will go well with our CPH-LHR leg and we will have a relaxing, unrushed trip home.
bigenna is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 7:40 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 41,568
Originally Posted by bigenna View Post
we had a choice of about 2.5 hours or 5.5 and decided to go with the second. Yes, hopefully all will go well with our CPH-LHR leg and we will have a relaxing, unrushed trip home.
If not locked in, I would take the 2.5 hours - that is loads of time to manage the connection - if you do have an issue, then the airline will rebook you on the one at 5.5 hours

5.5 hours is a long time to voluntarily spend sat at an airport
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 11:18 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
If not locked in, I would take the 2.5 hours - that is loads of time to manage the connection - if you do have an issue, then the airline will rebook you on the one at 5.5 hours

5.5 hours is a long time to voluntarily spend sat at an airport
i have only been at Heathrow once, albeit travelling economy, we thought we had lots of time but lineups to go through security were so long and filled with hundreds of stressed out travellers who were lined up knowing that their flights had departed without them.
Of course we would have preferred boarding this time, but imagine no preferences with security. I think I would rather relax and check out a couple of the lounges, which will be a real treat for us.
but thanks for the suggestion.
bigenna is offline  
Old Sep 12, 18, 1:59 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,798
Looking at the schedule, itís simply a choice between a ~10.45 departure from CPH with 5.5h layover, or 13.45 dep with 2.5h layover.

If you have the chance to see Copenhagen in the day(s) before your flight and would just be hanging around at the hotel in the morning of departure, then your choice of the earlier one makes sense to me.

By contrast if the later one would allow you to do something fun in the city which you would otherwise miss out on, then better to make use of that time.
Ldnn1 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 18, 2:58 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 251
Originally Posted by bigenna View Post
Of course we would have preferred boarding this time, but imagine no preferences with security. I think I would rather relax and check out a couple of the lounges, which will be a real treat for us.
but thanks for the suggestion.
You will be able to use fast track security when connecting at LHR though whether you actually save much time depends on the time of day. You also have fast track securiy at CPH, by the way.
jfallesen is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: