Do I hold the record?

Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've only had 7 upgrades. This year that is. I guess it's only just September however. Some here mainly travel First, which in my experience makes upgrades really quite difficult.

I have had one downgrade on BA (and a lot more on AA) but that was a long time ago, HEL-LHR.
7, out of how many BA flights this year CWS, or have you lost count ?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 'andad
7, out of how many BA flights this year CWS, or have you lost count ?
It's easier to count to seven, I have to say. I haven't a clue how many flights I have done this year.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
2 in 12 years.

First one was WT+ to J on DFW-LHR, my first flight as a silver, and the second was J to F on SIN-LHR last summer (on the A380 too)
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:12 pm

I don't recall how many or how frequently I've had upgrades over the years, or my hit rate. ut two, one on BA and one on QF, have come after enquiring unsuccessfully about the possibility of a paid upgrade.

One or two have stuck in my memory. My first ever was many years ago on Pan Am from LAX to LHR, very soon after they went from two-class (First and Economy) to three, (First, Business and Economy). Two of us were upgraded from Economy to Business, even though the flight was nowhere near full, obviously trying to get us to pay for the new Business in future.

Once as Silver I guested a Blue friend on the same flight into the lounge. She got an upgrade there, but I didn't. However at the gate I got a bleep and the agent said "Oh, Mr D, you have already boarded". It quickly transpired that it was the person who had been upgraded to my WT+ seat who was already on board and there was a new BP wairing for me, for a seat next to my friend.

And then a few years ago I was upgraded from WT+ to J both ways on a trip from LHR to ICN. Two friends who travelled the previous day had also been upgraded, and all three of us were upgraded on the way home. Korea seems to be the place to go if you want to improve your upgrade hit rate!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
In 20 years, with 5 as Gold, I've never been upgraded. I've been downgraded J to Y twice. Probably 200 flights total.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
18 years, 2 upgrades
Y to C ....LHR - ALG on a massively overbooked flight.
W to C ....DME-LHR, my traveling colleague went from Y to W at check in and then to W at the gate, they were handing out upgrades like crazy that day,

Oh and the crew on a flight from ISB to LHR in Y asked me if I wanted to sit in W one time, this was after about 2 hours into the flight, not sure why....didn't ask, didn't care .GCH maybe?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
12 years this week, I guess 9 of them as gold or GGL, only upgrades I recall was one year when I slipped to silver and got a club to first and another fromY to club europe on a Brussels. I dont really care, I pay for what I want, don't think i have ever flown WT+ and usually there is no where to upgrade to anyway. I think we all know status doesn't figure much in the decision making and the OpUp is a commercial decision and in my view why shouldn't it be.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Nicksta
In 20 years, with 5 as Gold, I've never been upgraded. I've been downgraded J to Y twice. Probably 200 flights total.
This might move you into an unenviable lead....
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
I only ever had one upgrade in twelve years of gold (CW to F) then suddenly two this year alone.

WT+ to CW is where I had success this year.

I think the LHR-LAX route in WT+ and WT gets very busy during summer.

For clarity, I don’t expect an upgrade at any time.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I think a lot depends on timing. I've had a few op ups but they tend to cluster around holiday times and if I am travelling on my own, which makes sense, as I imagine that on the one hand the Y (and where applicable, WTP) cabins are more likely to be busy/oversold, whereas on the other hand the premium cabins might be quieter.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
I joined in 2006, I believe and have been Silver for all of it apart from 18 months at Gold. Almost always travelling alone on the 141 BA flights I've taken.

Fly in CE and WTP mostly, with a quite a few CW on deals here and there and the odd WT and ET. Only managed F twice on points upgrades.

Upgraded once from DUB to LCY.

The low number is probably due to the fact I am usually connecting DUB-LHR-XXX due to living in Ireland and the fact I travel in CE most of the time in Europe.

One year they wanted to bump people off an oversold LHR-SYD at Christmas and I was willing to go for it, but "as you're on a connection, we can't get your luggage so no".
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
I have been a member for 12 years and flown 146 sectors in that time. I've had 1 upgrade, (W to J) so pretty similar to those above.

Now if I count the number of sectors that I was not in CE, (no chance of upgrade), or F, (again very little room to move forward), then we're down to 27 sectors. Brings me up to a still slightly disappointing but better than many 3.7%!

I've flown VS a number of times and had 1 upgrade. Doing the same maths I reckon my percentage is closer to 15% but then after than 1 upgrade it changed our flight expectations so with quite number of sectors since then they've never had the chance to upgrade us again! Well played Richard! Well played!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Nicksta
I've got almost identical stats, but only 1 downgrade to go with no upgrades, so you win!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:52 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Close to yours...

In 18-20 years one CW-F, one ET-CE, paid for by myself, a second if you include BMI pre-aquisition and paid for by the bank of mum and dad.

I’ve had more downgrades than upgrades.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Honestly no idea how many flights either, but at least 6 every year with BA (ET to CE, WT+ to CW and CW to F) and that's consistent over the last 10 years. So easily 60+ upgrades in that period.

I have been GGL for half that time and now GFL. I am sure that helps.

Thankfully my only ever downgrade was J to Y on AA between somewhere in Canada and Dallas. I got over it... eventually

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.