Community
Wiki Posts
Search

241 redemption upgrade/New Orleans safety?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Another little recommendation is the show at the Preservation Hall - sure it is aimed at tourists but it is worth going to.

Taking the trolley out to the Garden District was also a nice afternoon - I particularly liked browsing in Peaches Records.

In terms of safety I would recommend using Uber or a taxi to get home in the evening. However it generally didn’t feel less safe than London, with the exception that the French Quarter can make it feel quite gloomy/dark at night.

Don’t think you will regret going and plenty to do for 4 nights.
muggle likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Next recommendation:

On Monday, October 8, Michot's Melody Makers are playing at dba on Frenchmen Street. The band is led by Louis Michot, the leader of the Grammy Award winning Lost Bayou Ramblers, a contemporary Cajun band from Lafayette, Louisiana, the heart of "Cajun Country." The Lost Bayou Ramblers wrote and performed some of the music for the movie Beasts of the Southern Wild (which, if you haven't seen it, is an absolute must). Louis's music ranges from traditional Cajun music (which is influenced by traditional Irish and Scottish music) to more punk-influenced contemporary Cajun sounds. (His Cajun-French version of The Who's My Generation is astoundingly good. Listen here:
.)

This is a late show (it's listed as a 10pm start, and probably will start later) and has only a $5 cover. dba has a wonderful selection of beers and spirits, and is located in the heart of Frenchmen Street, which is lined with music clubs and is worth exploring. You can take a taxi or uber to get here, but if you're staying in or near the French Quarter, it's an easy and safe walk.

By the way, Monday nights at Bacchanal feature Helen Gillet when she's in town. Helen is a Belgian cellist, and her Bacchanal performances usually feature her solo with a repeater. Here's a great example:

If Helen is performing at Bacchanal that night, starting your evening listening to her perform at Bacchanal, followed by Michot's Melody Makers at dba, would make for a magnificent evening.
muggle and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by Blumie; Sep 11, 2018 at 5:03 am
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Try the Kermit Ruffins' Mother-in-Law lounge.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...Louisiana.html
muggle likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lcylocal
Another little recommendation is the show at the Preservation Hall - sure it is aimed at tourists but it is worth going to.
Agree completely. Note that there are two ways to do Preservation Hall. The traditional way is to wait in line for free standing-room-only admission. Or you can go online to their website and pay for guaranteed seated admission. In this case, I say f*** tradition and pay the US$30 for a guaranteed seat. Also note that unlike most shows in New Orleans, these actually start ontime and last almost exactly 45 minutes long, which make planning your evening easier. They don't sell drinks, but you can bring in drinks with you.

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Try the Kermit Ruffins' Mother-in-Law lounge.
Also agree. It's quite an experience.
muggle likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:14 am

Also, watch every episode of Treme... A great show
muggle likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:47 am

World War II Museum - I learnt so much in an afternoon!!
muggle likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
I had a quick look and am already seeing some great shows to recommend. I'm actually flying LHR-DFW-MSY right now (the non-stop doesn't operate today; plus I can upgrade from J to F on AA''s LHR-DFW flight), and will post my recommendations later in the week.

Also let me know where you're staying and if you need restaurant recommendations (in which case I'll want to know if you're traveling alone or with someone and whether you have any particular food desires).
Thank you!
How exciting - I wish we were doing that but don't think the 241 would let us be on AA metal. We haven't actually booked a hotel yet - have got The Monteleone Hotel on the list to check out from a kind posting above. Would love restaurant recommendations also - I'll be travelling with my girlfriend - no particular food desires apart from we LOVE really good high end food especially on holiday.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:31 am

Your hotel should give you a map with the areas clearly marked as 'safe' (subject to usual precautions you should take anywhere in the world) - make sure you ask. It is rather obvious when you are there as to where you should stop and walk no further - French quarter for example within 400 meters or so of the North East corner is one of the most dangerous housing projects in the USA.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:41 am

If you like seafood :-

https://www.pecherestaurant.com
muggle likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Here's recommendation number 1:

Bacchanal is, in my mind, one of the most iconic places in New Orleans. To the extent I want someone to get a feel of what New Orleans really is about, I send them to Bacchanal, NOT Bourbon Street.

I discovered Bacchanal quite by accident many years ago. I was out for a run in the mostly residential Bywater neighborhood and passed by a quaint little wine store. That same night I was invited to dinner in the neighborhood and decided to go by the wine store I had passed earlier to buy a bottle to bring with me. While in this small but beautiful shop, I saw many people walking in and out of an unmarked side door. So I stuck my head out the door and discovered a wonderful outdoor courtyard where people were drinking their wine, eating delicious looking food, and listening to wonderful live music.

Here's how the place works:

If you're interested in a full bottle of wine, you purchase it in the wine store. They will uncork it for you, and you can grab glasses and, should you need it, a plastic ice bucket on the way to the courtyard. Also, if you're interested in a cheese plate (which I highly recommend), you pick out as many cheeses out of the refrigerator case as you would like, bring them to the register, and ask for the cheese plate. You pay for your bottle of wine and your cheese (and a $5 surcharge for the cheese plate) in the wine store. They will take the cheeses and hand you a number to put on your table, where they'll deliver the cheese plate when it's ready.

Then make your way to the courtyard and find yourself a table. If you see space at a table occupied by others, don't be shy about asking to join them.

In the back of the building, facing the courtyard, is a window into the kitchen where you order all food other than the cheese plate. You'll find copies of the menu by the window where you order and pay. Again, they'll give you a number to place on your table so they know where to deliver the food. Make sure to grab utensils and napkins on your way back to the table.

If you want wines or beer by the glass or cocktails, head to the bar upstairs. (The stairs are on the outside of the building by the door that leads from the wine store to the courtyard.) There's also a wonderful indoor room upstairs should the weather not be conducive to being outside.

Bacchanal has live music every afternoon and every night. And whereas shows in New Orleans often start late (10pm would be considered early), the music at Bacchanal starts at 7:30 or 8, so you can go there and have dinner and listen to music, and still make it out to the clubs later on.

Bacchanal no longer is a "locals" spot as it's long since been discovered. But there still are plenty of locals who go, and it's still a wonderful New Orleans experience.

To get there, take a taxi (tell the taxi that it's on the corner of Chartres (pronounced Charters locally; if you use the French pronunciation they'll have no idea what you're talking about) and Poland Avenue. When you're ready to leave you'll have no problem finding a taxi outside. Uber also works great in New Orleans.
This sounds RIGHT up our street. Very partial to cheese and wine. Those music acts looks brilliant too - will be sure to check them out - thank you!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
My recommendation:

- morning: steamboat Natchez, plenty of hurricane punch
- lunchtime: Company Burger (trust me)
- afternoon: pass out by pool
muggle likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
First time I ever went was to a conference. As we stood in a group on Bourbon Street discussing what to do next a very large, very tall, very imposing gentleman approached us and said "Excuse me gentlemen, I believe you each wish to give me a dollar" - and he was right!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I have to say that I was pretty uninspired by New Orleans but I was only there for a couple of days having arrived by Amtrak from LA. Bourbon Street was being dug up so you just had the narrow pavements to navigate by. I thought Frenchman Street was a little underwhelming and nowhere near as big or pretentious as people had led us to believe. That said, we did enjoy the music and the food. I would heartily recommend Sylvain as a great restaurant. In terms of New Orleans itself, I doubt I would visit again.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m sorry to be doing this piecemeal, but here is another absolute must. Each weekend (except in the summer), a different social or community organization sponsors a “second line” parade (google it if you’re unfamiliar with the term). It will start at some neighborhood dive bar or community center and then parade around the neighborhood to the sounds of a local brass band. It’s great fun, and will take you through residential neighborhoods you would never see on your own. (Note that some people might tell you that some of these neighborhoods are unsafe, especially at night, but I can assure you that they’re perfectly safe during these parades. In fact the police lead the way.)

Below is the link to the parade while you’re there. Note that they haven’t yet posted the exact location, but they will as the date gets closer. Plan to be there on time — you don’t want to miss the start — but you certainly don’t have to commit to the full four hours. An hour or so is fine. Again, plan to taxi or uber in and out. The crowds will be too big to get right to the front door of where it starts, but just hop out of the taxi when you get to the crowds; that’s how you’ll know you’re in the right place. Trust me on this: this will put a huge smile on your face.

https://www.wwoz.org/events/422461-0
muggle and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:01 am
Original Poster

I’m sorry to be doing this piecemeal, but here is another absolute must. Each weekend (except in the summer), a different social or community organization sponsors a “second line” parade (google it if you’re unfamiliar with the term). It will start at some neighborhood dive bar or community center and then parade around the neighborhood to the sounds of a local brass band. It’s great fun, and will take you through residential neighborhoods you would never see on your own. (Note that some people might tell you that some of these neighborhoods are unsafe, especially at night, but I can assure you that they’re perfectly safe during these parades. In fact the police lead the way.)

Below is the link to the parade while you’re there. Note that they haven’t yet posted the exact location, but they will as the date gets closer. Plan to be there on time — you don’t want to miss the start — but you certainly don’t have to commit to the full four hours. An hour or so is fine. Again, plan to taxi or uber in and out. The crowds will be too big to get right to the front door of where it starts, but just hop out of the taxi when you get to the crowds; that’s how you’ll know you’re in the right place. Trust me on this: this will put a huge smile on your face.

https://www.wwoz.org/events/422461-0
Thanks so much - wouldn't find that in the lonely planet! I will keep my eye on it - sounds a lot of fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.