Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First it is credit cards and now the price of a cuppa is up 17%

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc

Bob on my weekly commute this morning and my only wish is a cup of tea. Now up to 350 Avios from 300. A 17% rise in one year. For something that should be free.

Ccmpensation for losing all my personal data to cyber criminals would ideally take the form of a free cuppa for life to go with my GFL!

seriously though 17% increase ???
Calum, icegreen, rapidex and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Robespierre
For something that should be free.
Correct.
nancypants, orbitmic and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Does anyone know what happened to the supposed trial of free tea and coffee for status passenger on the GVA route?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Bob on my weekly commute this morning and my only wish is a cup of tea. Now up to 350 Avios from 300. A 17% rise in one year. For something that should be free.

Ccmpensation for losing all my personal data to cyber criminals would ideally take the form of a free cuppa for life to go with my GFL!

Is the cash price up too?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
Does anyone know what happened to the supposed trial of free tea and coffee for status passenger on the GVA route?
When I have spoken to BA about this over the last few months there has always been a mysterious "watch this space" response. However if they're increasing the price now then I can't see how they would then make it free anytime soon.
TheJayHatch likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC

Don't you know there's a water shortage?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Raffles

Is the cash price up too?
yes by 15p
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
If BA is stuck for ideas on how to do it economically for free then perhaps they could start by cutting out this ridiculous amount of mostly non-recyclable waste...

Last edited by Robespierre; Sep 10, 2018 at 7:18 am
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Preparing for the devaluation ?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
BA were very keen to tell us, at the time of their original implementation of BoB, that we won’t be charging inflated prices like some low cost carriers (or words very close). But as I recall, a number of FT-ers came up with a range of comparisons which showed BA price levels to be mostly equivalent to other BoB menus or, in some cases, higher.

I wonder how things now sit, after these recent increases. And pricing apart, the BA menu has generally offered far less choice overall than the likes of EZY or FR, and still no packaged or ‘combo’ deals etc., with attendant savings. In that sense, the BA product would appear to remain notably inferior.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by subject2load
BA were very keen to tell us, at the time of their original implementation of BoB, that we won’t be charging inflated prices like some low cost carriers (or words very close). But as I recall, a number of FT-ers came up with a range of comparisons which showed BA price levels to be mostly equivalent to other BoB menus or, in some cases, higher.

I wonder how things now sit, after these recent increases. And pricing apart, the BA menu has generally offered far less choice overall than the likes of EZY or FR, and still no packaged or ‘combo’ deals etc., with attendant savings. In that sense, the BA product would appear to remain notably inferior.
With our main office now located in Ireland I travel FR regularly (MAN/LPL-DUB), the cost of their onboard refreshments are (mostly) notably higher than those shown in Karfa's images. Your G&T on FR is £8 (BA £6), a 250ml can of Pepsi is £2.50 on FR whilst a 330ml can of Coke is £1.95 on BA, beers are £5 on FR, £4.45 on BA. Sandwiches start at £5 on FR, £3.95 on BA. Wines are £6 and up on FR, £4.60 on BA. I'm sure some 'deals' might offer discounts but for those of us who simply want a quick drink those deals aren't of any benefit.

FR still has those annoying sales-pitch announcements, they start before departure and continue up until the prepare the cabin for landing indication. I find these commercials annoying. What FR does have is a rather impressive range of items, although the portion size and quality of the food items is not that impressive.

BAEC members have the opportunity to enjoy free refreshments inn the lounge prior to departure, FR passengers do not enjoy such generosity.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ Tobias-UK- thanks for the additional first-hand specific info & perspective, from which I see that many prices for equivalent items are in fact lower on FR.

I largely tend to survive s/h flights without resorting to BoB (other than for a coffee, depending where I’m sat and if I get it quickly enough), partly because I find the food sold by most European-based carriers to be pretty poor value. Perhaps the pricing on EZY is more favourable when compared to BA ..... but as a very occasional buyer, I can’t be sure...so, again, would be happy to be corrected.

In the case of Air Asia - who provide a quality of service and range of pre-order hot meal options way beyond anything offered by BA’s ET - I do make a definite exception and become an enthusiastic BoB-er
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
@ Tobias-UK- thanks for the additional first-hand specific info & perspective, from which I see that many prices for equivalent items are in fact lower on FR. ...
Presumably that's a typo? I can't recall a single item that is lower priced on FR.

I feel BA could seriously up its game with its food options, especially on Band 3/4 flights. There appears insufficient food options for flights of those lengths, I do like the Air Asia model for BoB food, but I'm not convinced BA has a taste for such provision.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:38 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

@ Tobias-UK- thanks for the additional first-hand specific info & perspective, from which I see that many prices for equivalent items are in fact lower on FR.

I largely tend to survive s/h flights without resorting to BoB (other than for a coffee, depending where I’m sat and if I get it quickly enough), partly because I find the food sold by most European-based carriers to be pretty poor value. Perhaps the pricing on EZY is more favourable when compared to BA ..... but as a very occasional buyer, I can’t be sure...so, again, would be happy to be corrected.

In the case of Air Asia - who provide a quality of service and range of pre-order hot meal options way beyond anything offered by BA’s ET - I do make a definite exception and become an enthusiastic BoB-er
On EasyJet, it's £4.50 for wine or beer. Or 2 for £8. Not sure of the food prices, but I'll have a look tomorrow.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
yes by 15p
To pay for the essential maintenance on the IT systems.....
Calum and orbitmic like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.