Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will 4 people on ticket be seated together in WT+ without paying for seat selection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will 4 people on ticket be seated together in WT+ without paying for seat selection?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Will family be seated together in WT+ / diabetic flying concerns

I have a family of 4 travelling in WT+ in December.
2 adult and 2 teenagers.
Seats in the cabin are starting to disappear. I'm wondering what to expect regarding our chances of sitting together without paying for seat selection.
If seats filled to the point we were split up, would BA move people around to get us together? Or is that an unreasonable expectation? Perhaps it's a case of I pay up or shut up.

Last edited by FlyingHighlander; Sep 15, 2018 at 12:52 pm Reason: thread drifted into a useful diabetic flying discussion
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA will not shunt other people around to accommodate you. Those people could have paid for their seats so yes it is an unreasonable expectation.

The only obligation BA has relating to children is that children <12 have to be sat adjacent to an adult.
orbitmic, wrp96, Yoshi212 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:56 am
Original Poster

I suspected that would be the case. However I have previously been shunted around (and had my paid seat refunded), so wondered under what circumstances BA would do it. I'm just trying to gauge what the norm is for the situation. One of the kids is diabetic and needs brief assistance related to that, including taking insulin injections. Perhaps we'd need to meet in the galley to attend to that if an adult is unable to sit next to him.

Last edited by FlyingHighlander; Sep 9, 2018 at 8:04 am
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Seats that are crossed out on that diagram may be blocked from being sold, but may not necessarily be taken. You can find out whether that has happened via Expertflyer. These seats could be opened up later on. Moreover you seem to be on a 787-8, this could be swapped for a 787-9 which has an additional 14 seats in WTP.

Usually TS will keep a block of passengers together, but unless they are declared as under 12 then TS won't attach particular importance to teenagers versus adults, so it's a soft constraint. If under 12 then it's a hard constraint in that BA will shift people to some degree, but only to ensure at least one adult is next to one child. However in the absence of younger children, if there are no 4 seats to be had next to each other then you are likely to end up with a 2 + 2 arrangement, or whatever is possible. Moreover if it is this busy already then single or couples with status may well be pushed forward to the next cabin.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks CWS. For what it's worth, I edited my previous post with extra info regarding medical assistance of one teenager. This is the first time he/we have travelled since he became diabetic and I'm not sure if it warrants a special request to BA to have 1 adult next to him.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For that child and the carer, I believe you can put information into MMB to indicate the care needed, then call up between 72 and (say) 30 hours before travel to ensure those two passengers are seated together. It may be the agent will look to reserve the others in your family too, but you can't count on this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:31 am
Original Poster

I just looked at the MMB options. The standard request options are for hearing, mobility, or visual impairments. I'll have to call BA regarding our situation.
Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
If it is that important, just pay the money!

Personally I would not be relying on the generosity / giving a stuff of the airline to seat two people together who, whilst it would be nice / easier to be together, don’t actually need to be together.

My plan of action would be to pay for diabetic and adult to sit next to each other and leave the other 2 In the lap of Theoretical Seating because I’d want the kid to be reassured, but I wouldn’t be prepared to pay $500 for the return just to select seats for all. Thus there is no angst worrying about whether it’ll happen or not and no way to feel aggrieved that you didn’t get something you’re not entitled to.
1Aturnleft and anniegray like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MrMutton
My plan of action would be to pay for diabetic and adult to sit next to each other and leave the other 2 In the lap of Theoretical Seating because I’d want the kid to be reassured, but I wouldn’t be prepared to pay $500 for the return just to select seats for all.
I'm not sure that's possible - I think you have to select seats for everyone on the same booking.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Originally Posted by Misco60
I'm not sure that's possible - I think you have to select seats for everyone on the same booking.
Im not sure - I’ve done a Gold TCP across three booking and have 3 people in row six and me (as the only Gold) in an Exit Row, so there is some flexibility. However, if i couldn’t I would ask to just split the PNR, or not worry about it...
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In this cabin, nobody is really particularly far from anybody else. Even if the four of you were seated in the four remaining windows, that puts two groups of two adjacent (e.g. one behind the other).

Perhaps the teens would like to be seated apart from the parents in any event? One can always swap for a minute to deal with the brief medical issue.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
For the OP, I would definitely ask your newly diabetic teen how he/she feels about possibly being seated away from a parent. I became a diabetic at almost 13 and would have been horrified to be marched up to a galley or lavatory for an injection or to check my blood sugar when a more discreet option was available-ie staying in my seat next to a parent who could help me. I have had Type 1 diabetes for almost 50 years and am doing very well thanks to excellent and vigilant parents who helped me to navigate through those really difficult years of being an adolescent.
It is not clear if you are on a long haul flight with time zone changes? This can really play havoc on his/her ability to avoid highs and lows of blood glucose levels and at times air travel can make it a bit hard to tell if he/she is having a bad hypoglycemic event! The last thing any of you want is a medical diversion for this. I highly recommend packing an injectable glucagon kit just in case.
I hope your health insurance will allow him/her to take advantage of using an insulin pump and a CGM,the sooner the better. Makes for a much more positive and healthy life for sure. Good luck to you and your teen. While it has never been easy, the investment of time and energy to learn good self care is so worth it!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I agree with Mrmutton, just pay up !
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Thanks CWS. For what it's worth, I edited my previous post with extra info regarding medical assistance of one teenager. This is the first time he/we have travelled since he became diabetic and I'm not sure if it warrants a special request to BA to have 1 adult next to him.
if you were concerned about your family regardless of this medical condition you would pay for seat selection. I don’t understand why you would expect anything else with 4 people.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by anniegray
I agree with Mrmutton, just pay up !
I don’t. It’s a reasonable request for two to be sat together, BA should oblige.
Oaxaca and armouredant like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.