BA73 Abu Dhabi Flight Cancellations

Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, my flights have changed to - I have an F flight, so better give BA a call.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:33 am

Yes my flights (for 22 Oct) were changed too. I was in F so called BA and asked to swap to Dubai on a 777. They changed outbound flights accordingly and offered a private transfer to AUH hotel.
Inbound (29 Oct) is for now unchanged as that is on a 777 and looks to be operated by BA still.

Now to change the hire car booking...This was done via Iberia Avis using the avios from their 90,000 avios promo. What's the betting that goes as smoothly??!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
I switched my F flight to Dubai too, there was no mention of transfers, but as i'm actually staying in Dubai, this will save some money on the taxi. Sticking with the Air Belgium flight in J for now, but does anyone have any seating advice? We've been assigned 1AC - it looks like there might be a toilet in front, will this be bothersome (it's a day flight)? The only other place to move to is 5DH, which seems a bit far back.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:07 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Kilo Alpha Hotel
Yes my flights (for 22 Oct) were changed too. I was in F so called BA and asked to swap to Dubai on a 777. They changed outbound flights accordingly and offered a private transfer to AUH hotel.
Inbound (29 Oct) is for now unchanged as that is on a 777 and looks to be operated by BA still.

Now to change the hire car booking...This was done via Iberia Avis using the avios from their 90,000 avios promo. What's the betting that goes as smoothly??!
Wow. a 777 on the AUH route - interesting. Not seen that in a while.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:38 am

...aaand I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer to see a 777 in AUH (maybe it was an error all along) because later today the inbound flight now changed to Air Belgium too.

Back on the phone to BA ....and, because flight times from DXB didn't work with our schedule, accepted a downgrade to J on Air Belgium (but with Concorde arrivals service and Tier still promised).
Flights are part of a BA Holiday so - without being able to unpack the package price into hotel and flight - I'm not entirely sure what exact level of compensation we'll get, but it's an overnight flight anyway so F isn't that big a deal. If anyone has any experience of what to expect re compensation, or whether I need to get written confirmation of Tier and arrivals service or just go by phone agent's word, I'd really appreciate hearing.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Kilo Alpha Hotel
...aaand I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer to see a 777 in AUH (maybe it was an error all along) because later today the inbound flight now changed to Air Belgium too.

Back on the phone to BA ....and, because flight times from DXB didn't work with our schedule, accepted a downgrade to J on Air Belgium (but with Concorde arrivals service and Tier still promised).
Flights are part of a BA Holiday so - without being able to unpack the package price into hotel and flight - I'm not entirely sure what exact level of compensation we'll get, but it's an overnight flight anyway so F isn't that big a deal. If anyone has any experience of what to expect re compensation, or whether I need to get written confirmation of Tier and arrivals service or just go by phone agent's word, I'd really appreciate hearing.
Not sure I would have accepted (which you now have, legally) without a deal in writing. In theory EU261 gets you 75% of what you paid back but, because it is wrapped up in the holiday, be prepared for BA to tell you that your flight cost 1 and the hotel was 5000 so you're getting 75p.
rapidex likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:28 pm

Thanks Raffles. Another useful lesson learned for me thanks to this brilliant forum.
I wonder....if my agreement on the phone is legal acceptance, does it follow that the conditions offered by the BA Holidays agent (I have her name) on the phone before I accepted (awarding of F Tier points and avios, access to Concorde dining facility on arrival) are also binding?

If so, I'll be ok to chalk it up to experience. If they deliver on tier points, avios, first-style arrivals and a pretty decent Air Belgium seat for the 7 hour overnighter, that's not too bad, even if more could have been got.
But I suspect it might not be so easy to get them to deliver on promises...eg tier points to be earned now showing as less in MMB.
Hmm, I just really want written confirmation of what they offered verbally as I accepted very explicitly on this basis.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
Kilo, my advice is to get what was agreed in writing. I agreed with BA on the telephone in the summer that they would give me F TPs and Avios for a downgraded flight to MCT next month. I rang BA earlier this week to find out how the F TPs and Avios get credited and they now cannot locate a clear note on my account which says this was agreed. They are now investigating this and Im waiting for their response.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Hilton Honours, IHG Rewards
Have been following this thread as we have reward 2 4 1 flights booked in J (F not available) to AUH 30th Oct out and 9th Nov back. 4 weeks ago outbound plane was changed to 4 class 777 and we were able to upgrade with avios to F so quite happy, CCR here we come. Checked this morning and outbound flight was cancelled and replaced by the Air Belgium flight and we were downgraded to J, seats 1A and 1C. No email notification received, Called the gold line and was told that we will be refunded avios and fees for upgrade and can still use CCR. Asked about inbound flight, which at the moment it is unchanged, but they could not say definitely that it would remain so. Was told that currently outbound flights were affected up to the end of October and inbound to Nov 2.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:12 pm

My BA flight on October 6th, AUH-LHR, was scheduled to be a 787 in J. . BA has substituted an Air Belgium 787 on this flight due to trouble with Trent engines.
I’ve excerpted below from their email to me today.

We have had to make some adjustments to our schedule so you can fly to your destination as planned. The change is due to additional inspections and maintenance required for Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines on Boeing 787 aircraft, which is having an impact on our overall global schedules. This is an issue affecting several airlines around the world. Carrying you safely to your destination is always our top priority.

To ensure that we’re able to operate your flight we have leased an aircraft from Air Belgium. We’ve chosen Air Belgium because the airline meets all safety standards set by the European Aviation Safety Agency and has a good reputation for customer service. You will be travelling in the same cabin on your original flight number.

If you wish to change your travel plans, we can offer you the following options:

1. Rebook onto a British Airways operated service between London (LHR) and Dubai (DXB) up to 3 days before or after the original travel date.

2. If you purchased a refundable fare, you can choose not to travel and receive an applicable refund.

3. You can call us to discuss potential rebooking options.

Your flight number and other aspects of your journey, including cabin of travel, baggage allowance and lounge access remain unchanged. Any Executive Club Tier Points and Avios will be earned as usual. If you paid to reserve a seat, this will be refunded within 28 days. There may be some differences to the services we usually offer, visit our dedicated web page for
Manage My Booking → Flights

Last edited by hjmanasa; Oct 1, 2018 at 2:46 pm Reason: Substitute Aircraft is an A340, not 787. American Airlines told me it was a 787, BA web site says it’s an A-340.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by hjmanasa
My BA flight on October 6th, AUH-LHR, was scheduled to be a 787 in J. . BA has substituted an Air Belgium 787 on this flight due to trouble with Trent engines.
Ive excerpted below from their email to me today.
Air Belgium doesn't have 787s....maybe you mean A340s?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by SP9652
Have been following this thread as we have reward 2 4 1 flights booked in J (F not available) to AUH 30th Oct out and 9th Nov back. 4 weeks ago outbound plane was changed to 4 class 777 and we were able to upgrade with avios to F so quite happy, CCR here we come. Checked this morning and outbound flight was cancelled and replaced by the Air Belgium flight and we were downgraded to J, seats 1A and 1C. No email notification received, Called the gold line and was told that we will be refunded avios and fees for upgrade and can still use CCR. Asked about inbound flight, which at the moment it is unchanged, but they could not say definitely that it would remain so. Was told that currently outbound flights were affected up to the end of October and inbound to Nov 2.
Why didn't you move to a Dubai flight? Grand total of 40 of taxi fee and 40 minutes of additional driving, even assuming you are heading away from Dubai when you leave AUH.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Raffles
Why didn't you move to a Dubai flight? Grand total of 40 of taxi fee and 40 minutes of additional driving, even assuming you are heading away from Dubai when you leave AUH.
No way is it 40 minutes between AUH and DXB. Plan on 75 minutes. I would expect the taxi fare to be higher too, perhaps around 60.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
No way is it 40 minutes between AUH and DXB. Plan on 75 minutes. I would expect the taxi fare to be higher too, perhaps around 60.
Yes it took us an hour and 20 minutes from the airport to the Shangri La Abu Dhabi and our driver was going pretty fast and that was no hold ups with traffic or anything. An Uber was quoting 120 so I opted for the hotel car at 150 which BA picked up anyways.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:04 am

Dubai Airport to downtown AD is almost exactly 150km. Anyone expecting to do that in 40mins for 40 is in cloud cuckoo land.

40 mins from Dubai International might get you somewhere to the border of AD near the Last Stop refreshment place.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.