Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA73 Abu Dhabi Flight Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gomac

Yes they were only able to offer me Y on the Air Belgium to AUh as J was already oversold but I have been rebooked in to F both ways to and from Dubai.
Originally Posted by Gomac
I have to say I was surprised by this experience as well, Whatever system they have to allocate the fewer J seats they have seems odd but I suspect they didn't even consider F and allocated them to those with a seat already in J first?
Possibly, but even if they did get overlook the First cabin and J was completely full (unlikely) there would still have been six former WTP/F passengers ahead of two golds, plus they could have downgraded a non-status, low(er) revenue J passenger anyway! The alternative is that there was no way not to downgrade you from F, so they are upgrading as many WTP passengers as will fit and downgrading all Fs because the statutory compensation from F-Y is the same as from F-J!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:58 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Dubh
Any seatmap for this thing floating around? There website shows an aircraft with Premium economy, but the statement is saying there is none.
See below:

S

Dubh likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Cymro
The alternative is that there was no way not to downgrade you from F, so they are upgrading as many WTP passengers as will fit and downgrading all Fs because the statutory compensation from F-Y is the same as from F-J!
Good point.

i booked these tickets via the amex plat so I will give them a call and see if they can offer anything under travel inconvenience. it’s a long shot but worth a go.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:57 am

My understanding is the premium economy they advertise for their own flights doesn't exist yet, they are using the rear biz cabin with premium economy service.

So no problem for BA to use those seats as CW in a two class config
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:21 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Sounds as though you managed to get an acceptable alternative in getting F to and from DXB. I wonder what they would have offered you if those flights were full in F.
Honestly, it is poor show on the part of BA and shows how little they are prepared to do for gold cardholders. I thought golds were supposed to get priority when things need rebooking due to irrops etc?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:03 am

I just got an email asking to contact BA about my booking 16th AUH to LHR, back on the 20th.....but I'm on hold because the agent doesn't know why I got this email. I've reseated myself in Business on the outbound, and both her screen and my MMB are still showing the 789 on the return.

I'll wait a couple of days I guess.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was on the lhr to auh yesterday and the crew told me that there was a total of 80 onboard.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold
I received the change of aircraft email for flight to AUH on 20 September and return on 30 September. We were in WT+ for a 10 day holiday at a VG hotel in Abu Dhabi. The email offered us an upgrade to Club in both directions and nothing else was changed. I called BAEC to double check it was all OK and they were very helpful so I accepted. Not sure if this happened to everyone in WT+ or if I was lucky because we had shelled out for a 5 star hotel. Happy with the end result.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by GWZM2804
I received the change of aircraft email for flight to AUH on 20 September and return on 30 September. We were in WT+ for a 10 day holiday at a VG hotel in Abu Dhabi. The email offered us an upgrade to Club in both directions and nothing else was changed. I called BAEC to double check it was all OK and they were very helpful so I accepted. Not sure if this happened to everyone in WT+ or if I was lucky because we had shelled out for a 5 star hotel. Happy with the end result.
I'm returning to AUH also on the 20th. I was in WT+ and like yourself, got the upgrade. See you on board.

I actually came up on the Air Belgium A340 last night. It was fine. The seat us marginally more comfortable than the club world seat I reckon.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:06 am

That's good news Dubh, see you on board on 20th. Almost all the reports I have read about Air Belgium are good.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just an update, after following up with customer services they have agreed to cover the cost of the return transfer from DXB to our hotel in Abu Dhabi at the cost quoted by the hotel's own transfer service so I am overall happy with the outcome.
cosmo74 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:15 am

An update having flown LHR-AUH on BA073. Very impressed. Excellent crew in CW who seemed to be trying very hard and were efficient and pleasant. Interestingly chatting to people in the lounge in our hotel three other couples have flown on the Air Belgium replacement and the common opinion is they are better than BA. Based on one flight I would say equivalent to BA at their best and better than the BA average.
cosmo74 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by GWZM2804
An update having flown LHR-AUH on BA073. Very impressed. Excellent crew in CW who seemed to be trying very hard and were efficient and pleasant. Interestingly chatting to people in the lounge in our hotel three other couples have flown on the Air Belgium replacement and the common opinion is they are better than BA. Based on one flight I would say equivalent to BA at their best and better than the BA average.
Yeah, I would generally agree. The scones seem to confuse them a little and the Entertainment system could do with the addition of some tv shows and music, but apart from that, thumbs up from me.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
An update on Air Belgium's operations:

http://www.brusselstimes.com/busines...hong-kong-link
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Late October Abu Dhabi flights just switched to Air Belgium in the last few minutes.

I had an AUH flight for October which I needed to cancel but I was waiting for this to happen to hopefully save myself the Ł70 fee :-) Shame the Dubai flight times are so late these days - we are actually on SWISS which even with the transfer in Zurich gets in well before the first BA flight of the day.

(SWISS business class UK to DXB is 25,000 miles each way, by the way, if booked with Singapore KrisFlyer miles - who are an Amex partner.)

Last edited by Raffles; Sep 25, 2018 at 3:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.