Wiki Posts
Search

BA73 Abu Dhabi Flight Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
BA73 Abu Dhabi Flight Cancellations

I am due to fly out in F on the BA73 to Abu Dhabi on 22nd Sep but I see they have stopped selling any class apart from Y on this flight and other around this date. this seems very odd. If it is likely to be cancelled I would much rather make plans in advance what will Ba do in this situation, it is part of a holiday and hotel booking.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
The fare buckets are zero'd out across all buckets for First, Business and Premium economy so I'd say it's just looking like a very busy flight. I wouldn't have thought it would be cancelled, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be around soon to confirm!

F0 A0 J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q0 O0 G0
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:08 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Indeed. If the flight was closed, you would see FC AC JC CC DC... etc on the fare buckets. The flight is just busy.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by S_W_S
The fare buckets are zero'd out across all buckets for First, Business and Premium economy so I'd say it's just looking like a very busy flight. I wouldn't have thought it would be cancelled, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be around soon to confirm!

F0 A0 J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q0 O0 G0
Originally Posted by travelwithross
Indeed. If the flight was closed, you would see FC AC JC CC DC... etc on the fare buckets. The flight is just busy.
That seems strange given the dead cheap J and F tickets they were selling just a few days ago and the current seating plans but I suppose you can’t go off them and thing change very quickly.

Thanks guys.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm sure someone posted a very similar question about an LAX flight recently, which was subsequently cancelled, so I'd say no harm in working out your alternatives in case this happens.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cosmo74
I'm sure someone posted a very similar question about an LAX flight recently, which was subsequently cancelled, so I'd say no harm in working out your alternatives in case this happens.
Thanks cosmo74, There are still quite a few F seat being sold on the DBX 777 flight departing at the same time so I suppose it wouldn’t be the end of the world if we were changed over to this. Alternatively they can always put us on Etihad !
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:27 am
formerly rxfleming

Originally Posted by Gomac

That seems strange given the dead cheap J and F tickets they were selling just a few days ago and the current seating plans but I suppose you can’t go off them and thing change very quickly.

Thanks guys.
My wife is on the BA flight next week, LHR-AUH, and it is showing the same across all F/J/W Cabins. Y is wide open. I wouldn't worry.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:42 am

Might they be prepping for an aircraft change given the 789 issue?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hypercrypt
Might they be prepping for an aircraft change given the 789 issue?
Could very well be. Either way I would be wise to have a few back up options to present them.

BA Holidays have traditionally been very good with me so I am sure they will be accommodating.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
The return leg, BA72 on the 23rd is looking busy, but more normal:

F0 A0
J9 C9 D8 R8 I0
W0 E0 T0
Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q0 O0 G0

That said, they do look like the sort of numbers you might expect with a planned aircraft swap from a 789 to a 788... Op-ups from W with a smaller cabin, zeroing the cheap business buckets, and getting rid of F altogether.

If the 789 were fuller on the inbound then that might explain why everything is zeroed - current sales are at or in excess of capacity on the new, smaller plane - and as an F passenger that would be very disappointing for you.

Hopefully I'm reading too much into this, though, and whatever it is may pass anyway.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
The return leg, BA72 on the 23rd is looking busy, but more normal:

F0 A0
J9 C9 D8 R8 I0
W0 E0 T0
Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q0 O0 G0

That said, they do look like the sort of numbers you might expect with a planned aircraft swap from a 789 to a 788... Op-ups from W with a smaller cabin, zeroing the cheap business buckets, and getting rid of F altogether.

If the 789 were fuller on the inbound then that might explain why everything is zeroed - current sales are at or in excess of capacity on the new, smaller plane - and as an F passenger that would be very disappointing for you.

Hopefully I'm reading too much into this, though, and whatever it is may pass anyway.
Very clever to check the inbound flight too Cymro so what would you do at this stage if it were you as an F cash booking?

Will BA Holidays have any leeway at this point, or will they be able to see something we are not?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond

Very clever to check the inbound flight too Cymro so what would you do at this stage if it were you as an F cash booking?

Will BA Holidays have any leeway at this point, or will they be able to see something we are not?
It depends what you want. EU261 (as you're within the two-week period for a cancellation, so even if BA argues it is a cancellation and not a downgrade, you're still entitled to compensation)? Reroute to DXB? (BA 107 is at F5 right now). I guess the issue is that they are adjusting availability to prepare for a possible event, but that event hasn't happened yet. As such, it may never happen so I doubt BA holidays will have much leeway until you're on the cusp of being notified. (However, I'm not talking from experience here - I've been incredibly lucky in my travels so far!)

So, unless there was an outcome I actively preferred to travelling on my originally booked flight, I'd probably just sit tight and keep an eye on it in CheckMyTrip (I miss MyFlights so much!) and be ready to call BA immediately anything happened.
Gomac likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:33 am

I just got an email saying the Air Belgium A340 is on the route this Saturday.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:34 am
formerly rxfleming

I am due to fly out in F on the BA73 to Abu Dhabi on 22nd Sep but I see they have stopped selling any class apart from Y on this flight and other around this date. this seems very odd. If it is likely to be cancelled I would much rather make plans in advance what will Ba do in this situation, it is part of a holiday and hotel booking.
@Gomac
my wife has just been notified that BA73 on 15/09 is being operated by Air Belgium. This may therefore explain what’s going on as the same zeroing out of availability happened as well. I cannot yet see a seat map for the aircraft or type but I suspect it’s their A340 with only J and Y that has been operating CAI. Therefore F may not even be on your flight!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelwithross

@Gomac
my wife has just been notified that BA73 on 15/09 is being operated by Air Belgium. This may therefore explain what’s going on as the same zeroing out of availability happened as well. I cannot yet see a seat map for the aircraft or type but I suspect it’s their A340 with only J and Y that has been operating CAI. Therefore F may not even be on your flight!
Thanks for the update, I suspect this is what they have planned for my flight. I will get in touch with BA Holidays and see what they can do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.