Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA73 Abu Dhabi Flight Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
If I asked to be moved on to the DBX flight on 22/09 am I entitled to a transfer to Abu Dhabi or EU261 to cover this?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gomac
If I asked to be moved on to the DBX flight on 22/09 am I entitled to a transfer to Abu Dhabi or EU261 to cover this?
I would suggest not. Downgrades are unlikely other than from the cabins that the aircraft doesn't have, with a total of 48 business (vs. 42J + 8F) and more economy seats than on the 789.

(In fact, in theory at least, WTP could be accommodated in Economy Comfort, though that would not be a separate cabin). So BA doesn't really have a wider commercial interest, other than you and your partner as F passengers.

There is provision in EU261 for transportation to the final destination "under comparable travel conditions" and in the case of an involuntary reroute, for ground transportation between airports in the same city. However, a voluntary reroute to avoid a downgrade would not be covered in my view. There is a regime that does apply in the event of an F-J downgrade and if that is not suitable for you, you're free to come to your own arrangement; perhaps BA would agree to cover it as an inducement not to have to pay downgrade compensation, but they may equally decide that they'd rather keep 2 F seats free. Certainly there's no harm in asking but I can't see how you can insist. (Indeed, even the F alternative might be discretionary, albeit it is likely to be offered).
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:29 pm

Same issue 1.10.18

Looks like unable to book First for 2 weeks following this date. Options if on First award seats 2 for 1 please ???????
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Not if you've asked to be moved
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

So I called BA Holidays who were aware of the issue and they said that both the outbound and inbound were affected and being operated now by Air Belgium.

Interestingly they hadn’t let me know this yet so a good job I had the heads up from here. I think they have sent out emails about the closer flights already including the 15th but not mine yet and it looks like this may be happening for a while.

She presented me with two options, either I fly Y on Air Belgium and get a refund for the fare difference (she said J was full and no there was no way she was able to put me in that) now the first tickets were cheap (a BA holiday booking so don’t know the exact hidden cost but it was about £1,500 each return) but it was interesting that they were only willing to allocate Y to me.... or we move to the DBX flight but they would not pay for the transfers.

I moved onto the Dubai flight and to be honest I’m happy with that as she offered to put me on a day flight back instead over the overnighter one we were originally on so a night in a proper bed plus better lounge at DBX so I see that as a plus. Out is a scabby 777 12F so not ideal but I don’t mind the 777 F product.

She did say that the information she was given was that they would not pay for the transfers but to submit the receipts anyways and given we are both GCH there’s a good chance they would be covered.

‘The only thing I think is wrong is that it was booked as a fliight and hotel as a package (and ATOL protected and all that) so surely they should ensure they get me to Abu Dhabi to fulfil the entire holiday package.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by g888
Looks like unable to book First for 2 weeks following this date. Options if on First award seats 2 for 1 please ???????
If you want to accept the downgrade to J with Air Belgium, you could ask BA to treat you the same way as they treated F customers flying to Muscat in a BA 787 in the early summer who were downgraded to J and flew on a Qatar operated flight as a result of the Rolls Royce engine troubles. They received F tier points and Avios, access to the CCR and 140,000 Avios pp per sector as compensation.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gorps1

If you want to accept the downgrade to J with Air Belgium, you could ask BA to treat you the same way as they treated F customers flying to Muscat in a BA 787 in the early summer who were downgraded to J and flew on a Qatar operated flight as a result of the Rolls Royce engine troubles. They received F tier points and Avios, access to the CCR and 140,000 Avios pp per sector as compensation.
That’s interesting I forgot about that. Problem is they weren’t even offering my J only y which I wasn’t willing to accept.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:05 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

That’s interesting I forgot about that. Problem is they weren’t even offering my J only y which I wasn’t willing to accept.
They were downgrading you from F to Y? And now you've accepted J class to DXB instead? You should still be entitled to EC261 compensation in this case I reckon.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
They were downgrading you from F to Y? And now you've accepted J class to DXB instead? You should still be entitled to EC261 compensation in this case I reckon.
Yes they were only able to offer me Y on the Air Belgium to AUh as J was already oversold but I have been rebooked in to F both ways to and from Dubai.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
This article states that the Air Belgium substitution is going to be until 5th October and sets out the options:

Anyone got any thoughts on whether it may continue longer? I'm due to fly on the 7th?

https://londonairtravel.com/2018/09/...row-abu-dhabi/

British Airways is to wet lease an aircraft from Air Belgium to cover its daily flight from London Heathrow to Abu Dhabi from mid September to early October 2018.

The outbound flight BA73 from London Heathrow to Abu Dhabi will be operated by Air Belgium from Saturday 15 September to Thursday 4 October 2018. As will the inbound flight BA72 from Abu Dhabi to London Heathrow from Sunday 16 September to Friday 5 October 2018.

No specific reason has been given for the wet lease. However, given the route is ordinarily operated with a Boeing 787-9 aircraft, it’s a safe assumption that the grounding of these aircraft is the cause. BA has previously wet leased aircraft to cover London Heathrow – Cairo.

The flight will be operated by an Air Belgium A340-300 aircraft. The overall service standard should be similar to that of BA.

Rebooking Options

All passengers have the option of rebooking on to an alternative BA operated service to Abu Dhabi within 7 days before, or after, the wet lease operation.

All passengers also have the option of rebooking on to a BA operated service to Dubaiwithin 3 days before, or after, the wet lease operation. However, any additional costs such as taxis, will be at your own expense.

Full refunds are not available to any passenger, unless allowed by the original fare rules.

First Class Passengers

There is no First Class cabin on Air Belgium aircraft.

Passengers will be downgraded to business class and receive a partial refund of their fare. Passengers will still have a First Class baggage allowance, earn the Avios and Tier Points of the First Class fare, and have access to First Class ground facilities such as the Concorde Room at London Heathrow.

Alternatively, passengers can use the value of their ticket towards the purchase of a new ticket to an alternative destination.

Premium Economy Passengers

There is no premium economy cabin on Air Belgium aircraft.

BA has advised that most premium economy passengers will be downgraded to economy and receive a partial refund of their fare. Passengers will retain their original baggage allowance and Avios earning entitlement. Some passengers may also be upgraded to business class.

Alternatively, passengers can use the value of their ticket towards the purchase of a new ticket to an alternative destination.

Affected passengers can check the status of their booking using the Manage My Booking tool on ba.com
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cosmo74
This article states that the Air Belgium substitution is going to be until 5th October and sets out the options:

Anyone got any thoughts on whether it may continue longer? I'm due to fly on the 7th?

https://londonairtravel.com/2018/09/...row-abu-dhabi/

British Airways is to wet lease an aircraft from Air Belgium to cover its daily flight from London Heathrow to Abu Dhabi from mid September to early October 2018.

The outbound flight BA73 from London Heathrow to Abu Dhabi will be operated by Air Belgium from Saturday 15 September to Thursday 4 October 2018. As will the inbound flight BA72 from Abu Dhabi to London Heathrow from Sunday 16 September to Friday 5 October 2018.

No specific reason has been given for the wet lease. However, given the route is ordinarily operated with a Boeing 787-9 aircraft, it’s a safe assumption that the grounding of these aircraft is the cause. BA has previously wet leased aircraft to cover London Heathrow – Cairo.

The flight will be operated by an Air Belgium A340-300 aircraft. The overall service standard should be similar to that of BA.

Rebooking Options

All passengers have the option of rebooking on to an alternative BA operated service to Abu Dhabi within 7 days before, or after, the wet lease operation.

All passengers also have the option of rebooking on to a BA operated service to Dubaiwithin 3 days before, or after, the wet lease operation. However, any additional costs such as taxis, will be at your own expense.

Full refunds are not available to any passenger, unless allowed by the original fare rules.

First Class Passengers

There is no First Class cabin on Air Belgium aircraft.

Passengers will be downgraded to business class and receive a partial refund of their fare. Passengers will still have a First Class baggage allowance, earn the Avios and Tier Points of the First Class fare, and have access to First Class ground facilities such as the Concorde Room at London Heathrow.

Premium Economy Passengers

There is no premium economy cabin on Air Belgium aircraft.

BA has advised that most premium economy passengers will be downgraded to economy and receive a partial refund of their fare. Passengers will retain their original baggage allowance and Avios earning entitlement. Some passengers may also be upgraded to business class.

Affected passengers can check the status of their booking using the Manage My Booking tool on ba.com
As gorps1 pointed out, this is a lot less generous than what they offered in the same situation to MCT.

Also I thought that if the operator changed you were always entitled to a refund?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:15 am

Any seatmap for this thing floating around? There website shows an aircraft with Premium economy, but the statement is saying there is none.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

As gorps1 pointed out, this is a lot less generous than what they offered in the same situation to MCT.

Also I thought that if the operator changed you were always entitled to a refund?
Yes, that is strange. They can downgrade you from F to J, but you have no option to say "no thanks". I'd also be a bit way off flying with an outfit I'd never heard of until last week.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond

Yes they were only able to offer me Y on the Air Belgium to AUh as J was already oversold but I have been rebooked in to F both ways to and from Dubai.
F to DXB is a decent result, but the idea that two golds can be downgraded F-Y on a plane that has 48 business seats (vs. a total of 50 F and J) is absolutely shocking.

Now that you are off that service, *everyone* else on the flight in F/J can be accommodated in that business cabin, which means that two golds in First were given lower priority than literally everyone else in those cabins (unless the cabin was oversold).

It's just about possible that no one paid less than you, hence the 75% compensation was less for you (although your ~£1,500 pp is not especially low for I class) but I'd still have thought that booked class and status would count for something
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
F to DXB is a decent result, but the idea that two golds can be downgraded F-Y on a plane that has 48 business seats (vs. a total of 50 F and J) is absolutely shocking.

Now that you are off that service, *everyone* else on the flight in F/J can be accommodated in that business cabin, which means that two golds in First were given lower priority than literally everyone else in those cabins (unless the cabin was oversold).

It's just about possible that no one paid less than you, hence the 75% compensation was less for you (although your ~£1,500 pp is not especially low for I class) but I'd still have thought that booked class and status would count for something
I have to say I was surprised by this experience as well, Whatever system they have to allocate the fewer J seats they have seems odd but I suspect they didn't even consider F and allocated them to those with a seat already in J first?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.