Wiki Posts
Search

Seat selection post-card expiry

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Seat selection post-card expiry

Just encountered a new one on me since I don't think I've ever booked this far in advance. My card expires on 30 June and I went to make seating requests for a flight on 21 July next. I was able to see row 1 in Club Europe and select those seats, but I pressed save, I then got the error messages referring me to my local BA office. I assume that this is because the system can't be sure that I will still be Gold on 21 July.

My question is this: given that I already have more than enough bookings on the system to enable me to retain Gold next year, is it worth ringing up and asking to reserve seats in row 1 based on the tier point value of the existing booking?

(Ok, it's only a two hour flight so it's not the biggest deal in the world, but I am in the camp of rather enjoying row 1 and the next available row is actually row 4...)
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
the system doesn't work on potential tier points from bookings but on those earned from flights made. After all you could cancel some of those bookings or simply not fly so wouldn't actually earn the tier points.

Once you regain / retain Gold then you'll be able to move yourself in to row 1
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
I'd suggest it may have nothing to do with Gold status renewal at all, but rather just a glitch in BAs renowned IT.

I had a similar situation earlier this year, despite being free MMB steadfastly refused to let me move to row 1,giving me the same error as the OP. It was quite happy to sit Blue members on my booking in Row 1 incidentally....

Called the gold line, manual request to seating team made, sorted in the end. Never did understand the root cause tbh.
orbitmic and armouredant like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Indeed nothing to do with gold or uncertainty of continuing status. You are able to book any seat a gold can book on any future booking you can make. If you drop status, your seats may be lost at any time but there is no provisional block.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for all your responses. I had like @UKtravelbear assumed that this was connected to card expiry. However I just called the GCH line and as per @BertieBadger's experience, the whole group is now in row 1. Sorted!
BertieBadger likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.