Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time for the resignation of BA's CEO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
... known as “WW”.
Perhaps, but no other airline under his stewardship have had the same problems. Neither IB, aer Lingus or Open Skies, VY. Funnily enough AC did leave VY because he’d largely just caused problems towards the end.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
He oversaw the grounding of an airline for three days last year. I’ve had my financial data stolen. Whilst paying for a service where they promise me to be safe. This isn’t a company which says well fix things as a mantra - this is savings only.

What needs to happen -
A sizeable drop in pax numbers and revenue.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
A sizeable drop in pax numbers and revenue.
A plane crash should fix that ;-). However I worry you may be right.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:36 pm

So just as expected last night then.

1. Cover backsides, do the media rounds looking serious.

2. Blame someone else, supplier, criminal etc.

3. Outsource the clean up, tell people to call their bank, insurer etc.

4. Begrudgingly be shamed into offering compensation to people left stranded.

AC's days must be numbered - one crisis after another. Pester was eventually put under the bus by TSB and Cruz will follow.

Thank heavens we don't use BA.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:50 pm

British Airways could face a £500million fine following a cyber attack which saw bank card details stolen from almost 400,000 passengers.

The Information Commissioner's Office said it was 'making inquiries' after the shocking security breach was not detected for 16 days.
Perhaps £500M off the profit will end his time at BA.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Not just him (Cruz) that has to go but the credibility of the whole board not just on BA but IAG has to be taken into question. It will be interesting to see the outcome of voting and Q&A at the next AGM.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:26 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by icegirl
Not just him (Cruz) that has to go but the credibility of the whole board not just on BA but IAG has to be taken into question. It will be interesting to see the outcome of voting and Q&A at the next AGM.
IAG shares closed 1.4% down against a general drop of 0.56%. Significant, yes, but hardly catastrophic to the extent that it suggests institutional investors have lost faith in the overall direction of the Group.

A longer term analysis over several months is needed, but initial indications seem to suggest that the bloodbath scenario you seem to be proffering is not going to happen in reality.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:00 pm

Of course (just like Paul Pester) it won't happen immediately as to make a knee jerk would create wider questions about WW role.

Instead give it a few months and there will be an anodyne announcement that Cruz has decided to pursue other career opportunities and it will indeed be adios.

The other benefit of such an approach is that AC can do any grovelling in front of select committees leaving the new guy to come in with a clean slate.
icegirl likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Totally agree Simons1 but the bigger challenge would be who would be suicidal to replace him.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:23 pm

I notice in Alex's latest email he writes 'expiry date', but on Radio 4 he said 'expiration date'.

This is not really relevant to anything but it's interesting he uses the American term in speech rather than the UK one.
orbitmic and florens like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
I notice in Alex's latest email he writes 'expiry date', but on Radio 4 he said 'expiration date'.

This is not really relevant to anything but it's interesting he uses the American term in speech rather than the UK one.
This probably just reflects his background, education and experience. In many ways, he is as American as he is Spanish. Which rather highlights the nastiness behind the repeated uses of the word "adios" and the term "Catalan Carlos" in this and the other thread.
Originally Posted by icegirl
Totally agree Simons1 but the bigger challenge would be who would be suicidal to replace him.
And hence my observation above: Be careful what you wish for.
orbitmic, Ldnn1 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
This probably just reflects his background, education and experience. In many ways, he is as American as he is Spanish. Which rather highlights the nastiness behind the repeated uses of the word "adios" and the term "Catalan Carlos" in this and the other thread...
I agree.

I think I was also hinting that it's not possible for one person to do everything and that perhaps someone else wrote his email.

I'm not a CEO but I have managed some things. Is the CEO responsible for everything? How can one person manage everything?

Going by some of the comments on here, only a Super person would get full marks.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by MarkFlies
I think I was also hinting that it's not possible for one person to do everything and that perhaps someone else wrote his email.
Of course he didn't write the emails. From personal experience I expect they were drafted for him, but he would have approved them and possibly suggested amendments before they went out.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the GDPR/PR teams already had some template emails prepared for breaches like this.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
... known as “WW”.
Most people would say he has kept BA and IAG earning money when other airlines have failed without government support.

Why do you pick him out as a problem?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Calum
When are we going to see Señor Cruz in his high viz again? I’m sure he cracked it out to head down to the server room to find out what’s going on.
oh I do hope not it was bad enough looking at him in that I’ll fitting cheap suit he was wearing on TV tonight! Does no one advise/dress/ these people before they appear on TV. He just sends out all the wrong signals. Given the uniform standards of other staff I would be embarrassed to be lead by this muppet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.