Time for the resignation of BA's CEO

Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

The maximum fine under GDPR is €20m or 4% of global turnover. The UK Information Commissioner will assess the fine based on not only how serious the breach is but also how BA dealt with the breach. Any actual fines are well down the road at present.

In the U.K. fines go to the Treasury who sometimes do allocate it to charitable causes but that is quite rare. I recall some banking fines have been spent this way but that was unusual.

None of the fine will be paid to any of those affected BA may offer those affected a goodwill gesture - some avios or Ł off of future flight.

In addition to the fine BA has promised to reimburse people if there are any fraudulent transactions on their cards plus of course there will be internal costs for dealing with the breach. And in the short to medium term there may be a loss of revenue if people don’t book future flights (but then again how many people have said ‘never flying BA again’ yet do once there is a sale on.

So all in all this has the potential to cost BA a lot of money.
20m or 4% of global turnover - whichever is greater
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:51 am
Suspended

I can not believe the title is changed. Do we need to be political correct to even participate in the forum now?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
I don’t understand why people jump to such defence on BA continuously. .
This isn't the first 'lynch mob' thread demanding he be sacked from his job.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by chongcao
I can not believe the title is changed. Do we need to be political correct to even participate in the forum now?
I thought it was to remove the ambiguity concerning Air Canada.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum, BA Bronze, And EK silver
Can we start a petition to remove this imbecile? He's taking BA to the ground!
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The maximum fine under GDPR is €20m or 4% of global turnover. The UK Information Commissioner will assess the fine based on not only how serious the breach is but also how BA dealt with the breach. Any actual fines are well down the road at present.

In the U.K. fines go to the Treasury who sometimes do allocate it to charitable causes but that is quite rare. I recall some banking fines have been spent this way but that was unusual.

None of the fine will be paid to any of those affected BA may offer those affected a goodwill gesture - some avios or Ł off of future flight.

In addition to the fine BA has promised to reimburse people if there are any fraudulent transactions on their cards plus of course there will be internal costs for dealing with the breach. And in the short to medium term there may be a loss of revenue if people don’t book future flights (but then again how many people have said ‘never flying BA again’ yet do once there is a sale on.

So all in all this has the potential to cost BA a lot of money.
i was reading up on this and what I have learned is that fines under GDPR are not mandatory, rather they are discretionary, must be imposed on a case-by-case basis and must be “effective, proportionate and dissuasive”.
What is the maximum administrative fine under the GDPR?
There are two tiers of administrative fines that can be levied as penalties for non-compliance:

1. Up to €10 million, or 2% annual global turnover – whichever is higher.
2. Up to €20 million, or 4% annual global turnover – whichever is higher.

The administrative fines are discretionary rather than mandatory; they must be imposed on a case-by-case basis and must be “effective, proportionate and dissuasive”.

The fines are based on the specific articles of the Regulation that the organisation has breached. Infringements of the organisation’s obligations, including data security breaches, will be subject to the lower level, whereas infringements of an individual’s privacy rights will be subject to the higher level.

Making sure that your organisation is compliant to the GDPR can reduce the change of incurring an administrate fine.

How are GDPR fines applied?
When deciding whether to impose a fine and the level, the ICO must consider:

* The nature, gravity and duration of the infringement;
* The intentional or negligent character of the infringement;
* Any action taken by the organisation to mitigate the damage suffered by individuals;
* Technical and organisational measures that have been implemented by the organisation;
* Any previous infringements by the organisation or data processor;
* The degree of cooperation with the regulator to remedy the infringement;
* The types of personal data involved;
* The way the regulator found out about the infringement;
* The manner in which the infringement became known to the supervisory authority, in particular whether and to what extent the organisation notified the infringement;
* Whether, and, if so, to what extent, the controller or processor notified the infringement; and
* Adherence to approved codes of conduct or certification schemes.
Source: https://www.itgovernance.co.uk/dpa-and-gdpr-penalties
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
This isn't the first 'lynch mob' thread demanding he be sacked from his job.
How is this a lynch mob? This is the CEO of a Ł12bn revenue business who’s majorly messed up twice in 16 months within the same area. This is just incompetence.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
There does seem to be a trend in IT cost cutting.
angeloedades likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Prospero

The fines are based on the specific articles of the Regulation that the organisation has breached. Infringements of the organisation’s obligations, including data security breaches, will be subject to the lower level, whereas infringements of an individual’s privacy rights will be subject to the higher level.

Making sure that your organisation is compliant to the GDPR can reduce the change of incurring an administrate fine.

Source: https://www.itgovernance.co.uk/dpa-and-gdpr-penalties
Odd isn't it? You'd think an organisation involved in risk management, security and governance might take the very basic step of proof reading in-house work before publishing it on their website.

After all, awkward grammar and spelling mistakes are the first warning that all might not be well in mails purporting to come from banks, Nigerian princes, James Hillier et al
Prospero, adrianlondon and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Prospero
i was reading up on this and what I have learned is that fines under GDPR are not mandatory, rather they are discretionary, must be imposed on a case-by-case basis and must be “effective, proportionate and dissuasive”.
Yes indeed. I was responsive to a post that mentioned the Ł500m potential fine which some appear to believe has already been applied and others that it could mean a payment of Ł1k+ to each of those affected as though it was some US class action suit and it gets divvied up which is not how it works in the UK

I posited elsewhere that I could see BA being fined tens if millions of ŁŁ pour encourager les autres and the ICO will take it's time to (a) investigate and (b) assess the fine in terms of not only the volume and data revealed but also taking into account how BA dealt with it. Of course they have a lot on their plate with several other major breaches recently and as GDPR is still new there is little if any record of what fines have been levied.

And despite what some on here and elsewhere have said BA have been praised for their swift handling of the issue once it became known Computer Weekly and the ICO will take that into account.
Prospero and argonath like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by chongcao
No, but good manners and old fashioned politeness go a long way.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
So probably best if we knock all these silly references on the head.
Thank you, cws! It is good to hear the voice of reason coming from you.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by LCY8737

Reading flyertalk one sometimes thinks BA is the worst. Yet they seem to have no problem recruiting staff and filling their planes with paying customers.

they have significant problems keeping staff, and that is usually not a good sign.

as for filling planes, even AZ at the height of its crisis had full planes. Yields matter a lot more.

there is no doubt BA is currently profitable and has been for years on the back of a strong economy. Times of economic challenges will be the acid test of whether this has been due to a sound model or more to favourable economic conjuncture.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

i wouldn’t get too excited if I were a charity. Something tells me the treasury needs the money just now!
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
How is this a lynch mob? This is the CEO of a Ł12bn revenue business who’s majorly messed up twice in 16 months within the same area. This is just incompetence.
Alex Cruz has been good to shareholders and awful to customers and employees. Some are happy with that. Some aren’t impressed. And I am not impressed at all as he’s transformed the airline from a good one to a very average one (and I am being very generous). So yes he has to go!
davm666 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.