Search

Flying into Hong Kong, A or K seats

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
Flying into Hong Kong, A or K seats

Hi all,

Just booked an F redemption for Hong Kong next year, which side is better for views of the harbour during the descent and landing?

Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by SaraJH
Hi all,

Just booked an F redemption for Hong Kong next year, which side is better for views of the harbour during the descent and landing?

Thanks!
runway direction used changes with the wind direction. You need to know which way the wind will b blowing at the time and day you land.
SaraJH and secondsoprano like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Assuming easterly runway ops, the left side will give you a harbour view:
SaraJH likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DFB_london

runway direction used changes with the wind direction. You need to know which way the wind will b blowing at the time and day you land.
Funnily enough my husband said that! I’m going with 2k and 3k
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Deleted this as it keeps posting the same YouTube link regardless of the actual link I paste in.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by DFB_london

True but incomplete for purposes of this question. One direction - from the west - guarantees that no one will get a good view. But if the plane is going to come in from the east, I think the A side is the one that will offer the best views. Assuming no one with a better memory corrects me on this, sitting on that side means you're in with a chance.
SaraJH and hessbo like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
True but incomplete for purposes of this question. One direction - from the west - guarantees that no one will get a good view. But if the plane is going to come in from the east, I think the A side is the one that will offer the best views. Assuming no one with a better memory corrects me on this, sitting on that side means you're in with a chance.
Thanks Crazy, in that case I may switch to 3 and 4A, 1 and 2 are not available.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've never knowingly seen Hong Kong on approach. It's always cloudy, hazy or whatever. Mostly water, the bridge under construction and islands that I can't identify when there's something to see. And then the runway.
Left side at night when leaving has some nice views over the harbour etc.
SaraJH likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Looking at approach paths on flightradar24, if you come in from the east then the A side should give some sort of view of Victoria Harbour if you can see it through the haze. (e.g. BA27 on 4 Sept).

From the west, which is the approach we've had the few times we have done it, from the K side it's sea, haze, the back of HK Island then more sea before you come in past the far end of Lantau. You might see the Big Buddha if you know where to look, otherwise it's not particularly exciting I'm afraid. The A side will be mostly sea all the way in.

Basically I wouldn't get too excited about views - if you see anything it's a nice bonus. We usually favour the A side for eastbound daytime flights as it's the shaded side; K side westbound for the same reason.
SaraJH likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Take the A side, I have had very nice views several times on that approach.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA (Gold)
Agree on the A side. Usually good views, rain and cloud permitting of course!

Regards

PR
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:51 pm

Arrival: From East - Side A. Just make sure you choose a nice clear, non-hazy day.

Arrival: From West - no view of the harbour on either side.

Departure: Towards East - Side K. Just make sure you choose a nice clear, non-hazy day.

Departure: Towards West - no view of the harbour on either side.

As you can't control the landing direction, or the weather, just choose A for arrival and K for departure - that way you'll have some kind of chance of seeing Hong Kong island. But please don't be too disappointed if you don't get the view you want. I live in Hong Kong and flew in and out of the old Kai Tak airport multiple times and never once were the take-offs or landings over land... always over the sea.
SaraJH likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: BA GfL
POSH becomes AOKH

Originally Posted by BobServant
We usually favour the A side for eastbound daytime flights as it's the shaded side; K side westbound for the same reason.
So we need to redo POSH (Port Out, Starboard Home) to A-OKH: A Out, K Home - although it doesn't have the same ring to it. That's the jet age for you I guess!
alex67500 and SaraJH like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Personally, just sit where you want.
There's no way you can guarantee a view, short of possibly being the pilot, so I wouldn't put too much effort into something that is inconsistent at best.
You can spend days in the city and never get a non hazy or cloudy day for those touristy photos. Other times the odd random day or great weather.
SaraJH likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
But don't lose hope! I'm not really that much of a frequent flyer, but I have had my fair share of harbour views.

That said, get a better camera than me. An iPhone 5 just doesn't cut it.

Just for some perspective, this was just a few minutes before landing, approaching from the northeast. This was from an A seat, looking more or less southeast. As you can see, the plane was passing well north of the harbour (don't recall ever flying south of it on arrival), so I'd definitely suggest going for the A seats.

On departure, sometimes the planes make a right turn immediately after take off, in which case you may pass across the western entrance/exit to the harbour, and that can be quite a decent view as well. That would again require an A seat. But if passing over the harbour, then probably the K seats would be better.
SaraJH likes this.

Last edited by 07L 25R; Sep 6, 2018 at 6:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.