Wiki Posts
Search

Our first First - a review

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Our first First - a review

For as long as I can remember, I've dreamed of flying First. Not any First, but BA First. It's probably something (everything) to do with the fact that I was fortunate enough to fly several TATL (US West Coast) flights when young, and always BA, and so I have a long-standing affinity with the airline (the power of hooking us when young, eh...).

I figured that J would be just about manageable financially, but First would be a different story. It sat at the very top of my bucket list for several years, without ever looking like taking any step closer to reality. And that's when I discovered - through pure fluke - forums such as this and blogs such as GTSP and HFP. Having built up a healthy - if by no means spectacular - accumulation of Avios over the years (north of 200k), in possession of a companion voucher and using a couple of tricks gleaned from these pages, I booked what was for me the trip of a lifetime - JER > SJC and back in First, for the princely sum of 200,000 Avios and £450. Ker-ching! What's more, we'd be flying on the 787-9.

This is what I made of it.

The First Wing

Seriously smart. Efficient, fast, with excellent and knowledgeable service. We were told to make for the CCR as soon as we had cleared security, and were provided with helpful directions. It was also pointed out that my parents (with whom we were travelling) would be able to accompany us as guests.

Concorde Room and Elemis Spa

A great space, with wonderful views. We bagged one of the comfortable tables on the terrace, and enjoyed a very relaxing (and boozy...) four hours. All food and drinks were delicious. I neglected to make use of the Concorde Dining option, which is my only regret. The spa treatment (some kind of massage) was, quite frankly, a total waste of time.

Onboard

Outbound

On stepping onto the plane, we were shown to our seats by a member of the crew. It swiftly became clear that we had lucked out; the CSM was absolutely fantastic, as were the two CC looking after us on the flight. I politely asked whether it would be OK to visit the flight deck, and to my astonishment and delight my request was granted! The Captain and First Officer were extremely generous with their time, even indulging me with a selfie..! I guess the kid in us never really takes his leave...

Following the advice of many, I pointed out that this was our first First, but in reality I needn't have bothered. The LPGS flowed freely, other drinks were readily offered, and it was helpfully pointed out that we could "dine on demand" if we so wished (I did). Food ranged from the excellent (asparagus soup, and a particularly tasty and zingy Thai prawn salad) to the mundane (chicken burger). The wine selection was more than adequate, and covered most bases. I had no need for a turndown service.

Return

Again, the CSM and crew were fantastic. Shown to our seats, LPGS and warm nuts in place in good time, and everything explained to us within 10 minutes of take-off. Food was forgettable - overseasoned salmon, and very dry chicken kiev - but the wine selection was again good. The turndown service could not be faulted, and I enjoyed five hours of good sleep.

Some observations

Firstly, it's a common observation/criticism that BA's First product is "the best J in the sky". Having never flown J on a) BA or b) any other airline, I'm not exactly qualified to comment. However, I did spend some time with my parents (who were sat in J). Whilst the First seat is undoubtedly bigger, I somehow found the J seat to be slightly more comfortable - something to do with a deeper seat, perhaps. Either way, I can certainly sympathise with those who do not view the step-up from J-F on BA as all that great, and I certainly wouldn't make that step if paying full fare. It is very much, of course, each to their own.

Secondly, parts of the First seating area were slightly tatty. On our outbound flight, my girlfriend's wardrobe door wouldn't shut, and the crew had to resort to gaffa tape. On both flights, the lining on the side tables was badly scuffed.

Thirdly, despite crews on both flights being excellent, I had just one niggle: "touch points". By this I mean things such as the amount of time that elapses between being shown to your seat and being offered a glass of champagne; water being served in plastic bottles rather than in a glass with ice; newspapers being offered in J but not F; and pax in J receiving pre-take off drinks before those in F. These are very minor quibbles, but I'm a firm believer that if you are purporting to offer a first-class, three star service, then you need to sweat the small stuff.

Conclusion

I can't believe it's all over! Time to start earning those credit card sign-up bonuses again, and planning our next trip. Thanks to all of you on this forum for the provision of so many nuggets of excellent advice. It's much appreciated.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Always good to hear that one of those childhood dreams actually becomes true .
Happy for you. And I agree to everything.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Nice review disappointing to hear that the First accommodation on a 789 was already looking tatty
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Thank you for a great review, and a succinct one!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Lovely report ouennais

I'm delighted your first experience of BA First was an enjoyable one. One way I assess a good flight experience is by measuring how quickly I sensed the time fly by. With a great flight, the time flies by effortlessly which I measure as a combination of personal comfort, relaxation, and on overnight flights, a great night's sleep

So using the "Prospero Scale of Comfort™", how would you score your flights?
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the enjoyable TR.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: BAEC
Thank you for a great review!
I would just like to point out (so you are prepared for your next CCR visit ) that it is fully possible to order items from the Concorde Dining menu when sat at the Terrace. Me and my husband did so this July when it was very difficult to interrupt the constant flow of LPGS, Johnnie Walker Blue and Espresso Martinis
ouennais likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Greetings from St Helier!

We have done BA F once, also using a 241 (777, LGW to St Lucia). We doubt we will bother again. What’s your view on a repeat perfomance (all things being equal)? Would you go for the higher “spend” for the F cabin, or settle for J?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Nice review, and I enjoyed 789 F. I'd always upgrade to F if there was Avios availability, not least because Mrs O doesn't like stepping over people I also find the service is better, but YMMV (goes back to a recurring theme about the difference the crew make to your experience)
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by ouennais
Thirdly, despite crews on both flights being excellent, I had just one niggle: "touch points". By this I mean things such as the amount of time that elapses between being shown to your seat and being offered a glass of champagne; water being served in plastic bottles rather than in a glass with ice; newspapers being offered in J but not F; and pax in J receiving pre-take off drinks before those in F. These are very minor quibbles, but I'm a firm believer that if you are purporting to offer a first-class, three star service, then you need to sweat the small stuff.
This is the most important distinction between classes on board. You have written it perfectly. Getting these details correct elevate a good flight to a great one. The small stuff is important, because it is noticed one way or another.

Great run down, thanks for sharing your views - enjoyed it.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:23 am

Wait til you fly First with another carrier, cause BA First isnt really much better than Biz from other airlines.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:27 am
Original Poster

10 for comfort! I couldn't find fault with the seat, and my only complaint about the (10.5 hour) outbound flight was that it was over too quickly!
adrianlondon and tynmar like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
Greetings from St Helier!

We have done BA F once, also using a 241 (777, LGW to St Lucia). We doubt we will bother again. What’s your view on a repeat perfomance (all things being equal)? Would you go for the higher “spend” for the F cabin, or settle for J?
I would definitely fly BA F again (indeed I hope to one day do so), but only ever on an upgraded J fare or (preferably) a full Avios + companion voucher ticket. There's no way that I could justify the financial outlay for F.

Greetings, too, from St Helier!
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Thnks for the review, never flown First. Fly CW occasionally, mostly op ups and a few times one way. bought RT for next april

BTW, used to live in St Ouen.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Nice review, thanks. Managed to use Avios to upgrade 3 segments to F early next year, so I'll join you in thanking people at FT and HfP :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.