Search

Our First First - GLA - JFK - March 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Our First First - GLA - JFK - March 2019

Hi all,

We (me and my good lady) are heading for NYC at the end of March. Although I'm gold, I've not travelled first and am looking forward to using the CCR / spa etc. My question is this. We can either get the 10:00 from GLA, giving us 5 hours at LHR or the 12:45, giving us 2 1/2 hours.

Normally the second option would win hands down as I really don't need to spend more time in a BA lounge. But for a first first? What would you do?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
In those circumstances, the earlier flight.
Vasco Pridat, argonath and Lefly like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:02 am

Minimum connection time available, every time. No need to waste 5 hours in a lounge (no matter how good/great/whatever it may be) - enjoy spending more time at home or at your destination.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:14 am

MMmmm... I'm on the fence with this one. I concur that it's a waiting room, but for a first First - if you want to eat, have a spa treatment and so on you won't have a lot of time over. You certainly wouldn't be rushed in 2.5 hours, but you won't be lingering for an hour or two over cocktails either.

But 5 hours is quite a while to wait and the CCR experience can be great or a bit so-so. I think those who are frequent visitors know how it works and know how to optimise their time there, but for the occasional visitor like me it's been a bit hit and miss.

I guess for me it'd depend on the time to get to the airport. If I were close by and it's no trouble to get there for 8-8:30 then I might go for it. If I had quite a drive I don't think I'd get up early to spend longer at LHR.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Minimum connection time available, every time. No need to waste 5 hours in a lounge (no matter how good/great/whatever it may be) - enjoy spending more time at home or at your destination.
Amount of time spent at destination will be the same; as it's a holiday I would spend as much time away from home as possible, even if it means more time at the airport.
Lefly, PETER01 and Vasco Pridat like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by babats
Amount of time spent at destination will be the same; as it's a holiday I would spend as much time away from home as possible, even if it means more time at the airport.
Different strokes for different folks

My MO is always to reduce the time at any airport, even at the airports with the best lounges in the world. For me, lounge time is dead time and I would much prefer doing something I enjoy
anniegray likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I will vote for the 2.5 hour connection. There is a good chance that the GLA service will be on time or even early, getting from the domestic arrival gate to CCR will only take a few minutes, and so long as you're not the sort to spend hours at the departure gate you could have nearly 2 hours in CCR, certainly 90 minutes plus if all goes well. So that's a comfortable amount of time for CCR without rushing anything. Now the spa timings may not work for that, but of the various components to that trip, I suspect that is the weakest link, so least missed if dropped.
argonath and rossmacd like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheChangingMan
Hi all,

We (me and my good lady) are heading for NYC at the end of March. Although I'm gold, I've not travelled first and am looking forward to using the CCR / spa etc. My question is this. We can either get the 10:00 from GLA, giving us 5 hours at LHR or the 12:45, giving us 2 1/2 hours.

Normally the second option would win hands down as I really don't need to spend more time in a BA lounge. But for a first first? What would you do?
Get the early flight and have a great few chilled hours in the ccr!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I vote for the early flight. It's your first First. Shower if you like, dine, leisurely cocktail out on the deck, etc. Walk through the shopping arcade. Plus, you get the added bonus of a lot of padding in the event of IRROPS just in case.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Defo the earlier one. We did our first first earlier this year and 4 hrs went by very quickly indeed by the time we'd done the spa, shower, lunch, bubbles and cocktails. We ran out of time to go for a wander round the shops.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Go for the early option. I’ve had a similar short connection turn into running to the gate following a delay due to fog.
Is your first First likely to be your only First? If so definitely take the longer connection.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

OP, remember that for a few the CCR is a routine thing, in for a quick coffee/bite then leave. I would definitely say take the earlier flight purely given it's your first First. Gives more of a cushion, you can relax for much longer, sit out on the terrace, try different drinks at the Bar, have a nice meal, Spa etc.

It's extremely rare I would go against the advice of CWS or rossmacd, both of whom amongst many really are a tremendous asset to this board and for whom I have a massive amount of respect for.

However on this occasion.................go for the earlier flight and don't listen to them as they're both wrong!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by PETER01
It's extremely rare I would go against the advice of CWS or rossmacd, both of whom amongst many really are a tremendous asset to this board and for whom I have a massive amount of respect for.

However on this occasion.................go for the earlier flight and don't listen to them as they're both wrong!
I completely agree! 5 hours on my first ever visit went by in a flash

If it was a choice between arriving at 6am and 9am I would have a different opinion - but as your earlier flight still arrives at a pleasant time, I would go for it and really relax in the CCR. Enjoy!
Vasco Pridat and PETER01 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
As others have said, people are different. I always prefer a relaxed time scale. If anyone needs me, we have email and mobile phones. However, an ex-colleague of mine was always counting minutes and seconds, and would cut his timing very fine indeed. Given the choice you have, I would go for the earlier flight. My ex-colleague would be moaning that he had to waste so much time in LHR, having taken the later option, (even a later one if he could find it).
If you are going to spend so much time there, make sure you have something to pass the time just in case you need it. I'm addicted to "trash" fiction, I would suggest you take whatever you like to pass the time.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I vote for the early flight. It's your first First. Shower if you like, dine, leisurely cocktail out on the deck, etc. Walk through the shopping arcade. Plus, you get the added bonus of a lot of padding in the event of IRROPS just in case.
I also agree get there early, why be stressed if something runs late. 5 hours is really not that long as by the time you arrive at CCR and depart for the gate to board probably be more like 4. It’s really not hard to pass that kind of time having a few drinks and talking. Also why people recommend having a shower!?? The BA shower facilities are disgusting, I would think it would be a major turnoff to use the bathroom even ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.