Upgrade / Baggage Allowance / OW Benefit

Old Sep 4, 18, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade / Baggage Allowance / OW Benefit

I booked a flight (Euro Traveller incl. checked baggage) form ZRH to LCY with BA CityFlyer. My understanding is that my allowance of baggage is 23kg. I am as well a QR Platinum / OW Emerald member, my understanding is that I have additional allowance of 32 kg. I see now that I can upgrade my flight to Business Class. I have already lounge access, Exit Seats on the flight however I consider it for the additional baggage allowance. If I upgrade would I be entitled for the following allowance: 2 x 32 kg (for Business Class) + 1 x 32 kg (for my OW Emerald status). So total of 3 x 32 KG? If I remain in Economy is my allowance 23 kg (checked baggage) + 32 kg (for my OW Emerald status). I asked for Economy I was told I would be entitled for 2 x 32 KG (checked allowance + OW Emerald).
Old Sep 5, 18, 12:10 am

2x 32kg for Economy and 3x 32kg for top tier oneworld is correct
Old Sep 5, 18, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by hypercrypt View Post
2x 32kg for Economy and 3x 32kg for top tier oneworld is correct
For clarity, it's 2 x 32 kg in economy, and 3 x 32 kg in business, if you are a top-tier oneworld member (ie Emerald).

It's worth noting that this is not a weight allowance. It's 2 bags and 3 bags respectively. If you are in economy and bring 3 bags each weighing 10 kg, you can expect to be charged for the third bag because your allowance is only 2 bags, even though the total weight is less than the weight limit for any individual bag.
Old Sep 5, 18, 3:35 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
For clarity, it's 2 x 32 kg in economy, and 3 x 32 kg in business, if you are a top-tier oneworld member (ie Emerald).

It's worth noting that this is not a weight allowance. It's 2 bags and 3 bags respectively. If you are in economy and bring 3 bags each weighing 10 kg, you can expect to be charged for the third bag because your allowance is only 2 bags, even though the total weight is less than the weight limit for any individual bag.
I was never sure about that in Y where BA's standard non elite allowance is 1pc max 23kg versus J standard 2pc max 32kg versus F standard 3pc max 32kg

I know as BA-Gold (and BA-Silver too) on BA we get 1x extra pc, and on Y generously max 32kg/bag also, though Y 32kg is not a oneworld-elite benefit but BA going above and beyond for own elites

I thought Y 32kg/bag (v 23kg) is just for a BAEC-Gold/Silver elites, and that OWE's of other oneworld alliance airlines, eg Qatar, get just extra 1pc flying BA metal, but bags remain max 23kg
Old Sep 5, 18, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by scubaccr View Post
I know as BA-Gold (and BA-Silver too) on BA we get 1x extra pc, and on Y generously max 32kg/bag also, though Y 32kg is not a oneworld-elite benefit but BA going above and beyond for own elites

I thought Y 32kg/bag (v 23kg) is just for a BAEC-Gold/Silver elites, and that OWE's of other oneworld alliance airlines, eg Qatar, get just extra 1pc flying BA metal, but bags remain max 23kg
I think that ba.com is tolerably clear about this. If you go to https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances and then open the panel for "Extra allowances for Executive Club and oneworld Members", you'll see this: "Silver and Gold Executive Club Members and equivalent members in other oneworld frequent flyer programmes get additional baggage allowances." The table that follows shows that non-BA Emeralds get the same as BA Golds, and non-BA Sapphires get the same as BA Silvers.
scubaccr likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: