Wiki Posts
Search

LHR - CPT

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
LHR - CPT

Looking for a little help on finding a good deal. I’m planning on heading to SA for 10days from the 28/29th June 2019. WTP looks to be around £900 and CW about £1900.

Is it worth booking the WTP and hoping for an upgrade offer? I’ll be traveling alone, so my chances should be slightly better than when travelling with the whole family. Does BA status even factor?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:34 am

I've only ever received an upgrade offer on Nairobi to London. I don't think chances would be great with CPT, but there may be someone more experienced who could advise you better. I found WTP quite comfortable on LHR-CPT but obviously CW is more comfortable. £1000 more comfortable though? I'm not so sure!
FrogTastic and IslingtonFlyer like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:37 am
Original Poster

To clarify, POUG offer not expecting a free upgrade. I can’t imagine I would be that lucky. Although it will be my Bday week
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA go to some length to prevent any gaming of the system, and they tend to be better at this than you! So book WTP, expect WTP. Now if in WTP on a Friday night on a full CPT then even DUT may have nowhere else to go but to push you forward. Now I've been around the block a few times, so I can sort of guess (CW to First in my case) but it's easy to misread the signs. If you have enough Avios, then keep checking the UuA options, this can crop up on the day of travel
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
CPT is a pretty easy flight overnight with two hours time difference. £900 isn't a bad fare for WTP, not sure it's worth the extra for CW.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Start in Athens

Check your dates if the Athens fare is available. A bit over 1200 pounds for cw return if u go ATH lhr cpt.
Otherwise check Amsterdam Around 1500 pounds in club
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
AMS-CPT currently £1150 in CW, if the dates work grab this!
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
AMS-CPT currently £1150 in CW, if the dates work grab this!
Sadly the dates dont. I managed WTP for £900, in two minds about upgrading to CW on a 747.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FrogTastic
Sadly the dates dont. I managed WTP for £900, in two minds about upgrading to CW on a 747.

Thoughts?
any reason you wouldn’t want to upgrade to CW? I would have though a flat bed to sleep on the flights as they are overnight would be a significant reason to do so.
FrogTastic and djbenedict like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thoughts?
I wouldn't think for a second - WTP on the old mid J 744 is pretty terrible, CW is so much better for two overnight flights.
FrogTastic likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Cape Town is one route where you absolutely want a flat bed if you can.

To be honest I would not have booked now for mid 2019 unless there is something specific on like a wedding. It is low season and there is a decent chance deals like the Amsterdam one, or some crazy deal on Qatar Airways or similar, would have come up for Business.
FrogTastic likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
Cape Town is one route where you absolutely want a flat bed if you can.

To be honest I would not have booked now for mid 2019 unless there is something specific on like a wedding. It is low season and there is a decent chance deals like the Amsterdam one, or some crazy deal on Qatar Airways or similar, would have come up for Business.
Its will be my 40th, and not much flexibility with work on dates. I’ll upgrade to CW then.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its will be my 40th, and not much flexibility with work on dates. I’ll upgrade to CW then.
Are you within 24hrs - as noted - I would definitely not grab this for now, keep reviewing the deals out there, if you are willing to position into Europe you can enjoy your 40th in style for not too much more hopefully
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA

any reason you wouldn’t want to upgrade to CW? I would have though a flat bed to sleep on the flights as they are overnight would be a significant reason to do so.
I just wanted to make sure CW on the 747 is worthwhile.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I just wanted to make sure CW on the 747 is worthwhile.
well I don’t think it will be refurbished CW as on the Super J 747s so you won’t have the amazing IFE they have. But apart from that everything will be normal CW.
FrogTastic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.