Should I Re-book to A380

Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Should I Re-book to A380

We have an upcoming possibility of a space available upgrade to First which will be in a 747 from LHR to ORD. I imagine we will probably be placed in row 5 but, given the circumstances, we cant complain. However, We have got a booking in F in January using Avios and this is also on a 747. I have chosen 2K and 3K (other options were already booked). Having seen some negative reviews of F on the 747, I am wondering if we should rebook to an A380. The problem is that I would have to change the flight date by 3 days, which would add some costs and be somewhat inconvenient, as well as pay the rebooking fee. Is the difference between a 747 and a 380 significant enough to warrant the extra costs and inconvenience? Incidentally, if the space available option doesnt come off next month, the January flight on a 747 will be our first in F.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
If the cost were just the change fee, yes.

Would I spend three days somewhere I'd rather not be for an A380 over a 747? No chance.

Unless you can be productive/have fun during those three days anyway (i.e., it's a minor inconveniecne only) I'd stick with the 747.
Padmeister, PETER01 and so3003 like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

F on BA747

Originally Posted by Cymro
If the cost were just the change fee, yes.

Would I spend three days somewhere I'd rather not be for an A380 over a 747? No chance.

Unless you can be productive/have fun during those three days anyway (i.e., it's a minor inconveniecne only) I'd stick with the 747.
Would be 3 extra days with family but will take up extra holiday days and incur other costs. I guess the issue is whether I have read too much into earlier comments as we wont have anything to compare. I would be disappointed though if it is the older IFE.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Definitas
I guess the issue is whether I have read too much into earlier comments as we wont have anything to compare. I would be disappointed though if it is the older IFE.
You can have a look now to see what is planned for each of your 747 flights, by checking which flavour of 747 is currently scheduled for your flights. The 86J version will have the newer IFE, and you would be better to assume that the 52J will have the older type.

Your enjoyment of the flight is likely to be more affected by the performance of the crew on the day than the aircraft itself - and you simply cannot pre-plan that.
Padmeister likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Aircraft Type

Originally Posted by Globaliser
You can have a look now to see what is planned for each of your 747 flights, by checking which flavour of 747 is currently scheduled for your flights. The 86J version will have the newer IFE, and you would be better to assume that the 52J will have the older type.

Your enjoyment of the flight is likely to be more affected by the performance of the crew on the day than the aircraft itself - and you simply cannot pre-plan that.
I think that is a very salient point. I have lloked on the booking and it just says 747. How do I go about finding out which type it is? Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I very much enjoyed the F on an old 747 to LAS. Yes the IFE was shocking, awful quality and the on demand was broken so the crew had to put it on a loop - however buddy dining was a real delight, I always take my own downloaded Netflix on a tablet anyway and after a few LPGS's I had a nice nap to sleep it off - no need for anything but the Map on the screen

I'd stick with the 747 personally - they also won't be around much longer.
Vasco Pridat and alex67500 like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I have lloked on the booking and it just says 747. How do I go about finding out which type it is?
Do a seat map search on ExpertFlyer for business class to see how many business class seats there are.

Alternatively, start a booking on ba.com for flexible business class and look at the seat map at the point in the booking process at which it's displayed to you.
orlando flyer likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Personally, I would stick with the 747 regardless of which IFE. The novelty of the curved fuselage in the nose of the 747, and the fact that they will not be around much longer, is a good enough argument for me over spending an additional three days somewhere just to be on an A380. I am sure you will enjoy the flight no matter which decision you make
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Do a seat map search on ExpertFlyer for business class to see how many business class seats there are.

Alternatively, start a booking on ba.com for flexible business class and look at the seat map at the point in the booking process at which it's displayed to you.
Aircraft Type

Thanks Globaliser. I did as you suggested and it is currently showing as an 86J so, if all goes to plan, we should have the new IFE. On that basis we are going to stick with our booking. Many thanks for the tip on how to find out. FT is a constant learning curve!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC

Aircraft Type

Thanks Globaliser. I did as you suggested and it is currently showing as an 86J so, if all goes to plan, we should have the new IFE. On that basis we are going to stick with our booking. Many thanks for the tip on how to find out. FT is a constant learning curve!
Glad you came to a conclusion! Just a side note though, as if a potential aircraft change will make you reconsider, then do check Expertflyer regularly, as swaps do happen. Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:48 am

I haven't been in an A380 but just from pictures/videos I find it looks quite sterile and bland in F compared to the other aircraft where the styling seems richer.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I haven't been in an A380 but just from pictures/videos I find it looks quite sterile and bland in F compared to the other aircraft where the styling seems richer.
Then you probably won’t quite appreciate just how big the difference in personal space is!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Then you probably won’t quite appreciate just how big the difference in personal space is!
No, I think I would, I am just pointing out that the more sterile styling in F on the big bird isn't so much to my taste.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:20 am

Best to try it for yourself first, before making ill-informed comments @:-)
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: Some
No, I think I would, I am just pointing out that the more sterile styling in F on the big bird isn't so much to my taste.
I'm not suggesting you wouldn't be able to, I'm saying it's difficult to compare completely accurately without having tried both. On the point on styling, whilst the 747 cabin is undoubtedly more attractive, I would say in photos the dark 747 cabin actually looks slightly better than real life (I find it a bit 'disco' with all the blue lights), whereas the pale A380 cabin probably looks a bit better in real life and doesn't photograph well.

Styling is, in any case, quite low down my list of priorities in F and I would never take a more attractive F cabin with less space and less privacy just because it's more attractive.

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Sep 6, 2018 at 2:39 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.