Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Texas is calling next year... but where should we fly to?

Texas is calling next year... but where should we fly to?

Old Sep 5, 18, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ratypus View Post
As someone else pointed out - some of the DFW flights you are seeing (the 777 ones) are on American Airlines so would depart T3 at LHR. Some advantages though - the business class product is excellent; great seat and excellent privacy in the "mini-cabin" if you can get it. Also access to the Cathay and Qantas lounges in T3 beat anything equivalent BA can offer in T5 (choose these over the BA or AA lounges in Terminal 3).
I've just noticed that the OP seems to be saying that they're using a 2-4-1, which would mean BA flights only. I hope I haven't misunderstood.
Old Sep 5, 18, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
I've just noticed that the OP seems to be saying that they're using a 2-4-1, which would mean BA flights only. I hope I haven't misunderstood.
Yup - I should have made that clearer. So looking at into Austin, and out of Dallas so far. Thought keeping further away from the coast during hurricane season was also probably a good idea.

It's just so irritating. Tonnes of availability for THREE F seats, but never, ever, FOUR after April/May next year. So I either leave one child at home (!) or book J and just check regularly to see if something appears randomly and move us all up. I wondered about booking 2 in F, and waiting 24 hours and seeing if more release - I read in another thread that others had done similar and seen more F seats become available 24 hours later, but seems a bit too random and I'd like to try and avoid unnecessary ticket change fees unless 4 in F suddenly come up.

One other question... If I book 2 J tickets from my (Gold) account with my 241, and then 2 J tickets from my wife's account (Blue) with her 241 (we're in a household account), can I then link the bookings and assign seats on the U/D in J through my Gold status, or will I always have to pay for my wife +1 to assign J seats?
Old Sep 7, 18, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Gold HH Diamond
As Ratypus notes, arriving at AUS is a breeze compared to DFW, and Austin is a really great town. I haven't flown there for over a year, so am not up to date with the expansion work (and when I did it was on a 789).
Old Oct 17, 18, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by 747_not_777 View Post
One other question... If I book 2 J tickets from my (Gold) account with my 241, and then 2 J tickets from my wife's account (Blue) with her 241 (we're in a household account), can I then link the bookings and assign seats on the U/D in J through my Gold status, or will I always have to pay for my wife +1 to assign J seats?
I don't think that the two bookings can be linked or merged into one booking (Gold might be different), so you will be able to book seats now, but your wife will have to wait until T-24hrs to book hers or pay. I have the exact same situation with two different 241 bookings.

Incidently, international arrivals at AUS is a breeze as you'll be the only international arrival at that time. There's a kiosk-based electronic passport check first, then baggage (IME this takes the longest time), then a short wait for immigration and customs.

(edited to add) I must be dozing - just realised lots of other posters have already commented on the ease of immigration at AUS.
Old Oct 17, 18, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jofnan View Post
Originally Posted by 747_not_777 View Post
I don't think that the two bookings can be linked or merged into one booking (Gold might be different), so you will be able to book seats now, but your wife will have to wait until T-24hrs to book hers or pay. I have the exact same situation with two different 241 bookings.
Golds have nothing different so far as linking or merging bookings is concerned: basically everyone can have bookings linked (via the process known as TCP) and nobody can have bookings merged.

However, Golds can get travelling companions free seat pre-allocations even if the companions are travelling on separate bookings, so long as everyone is in the same cabin. To do this, the bookings have to be linked via TCP, and then a request is sent to seating to pre-allocate seats to the companions. This needs a phone call, but call centre agents should be able to put this in train pretty quickly.
Old Oct 17, 18, 9:41 am

My AA crew to DFW yesterday told me that AA will join BA on the Austin route from next summer.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: