Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club World: How do they get away with it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by Yachtman
If you are comparing it to a full service airline then you are setting up to be disappointed. It would probably be fairer to compare BA to a long haul low cost carrier product with a few extra frills.
But they don't compare themselves to that.
If they changed all of their marketing to imply they are one of the better second rate airlines it'd be reasonable and fair. But they still act like they are up there with the best !!!!!!

I can understand people being ''happy' with the product if they have paid a fairly low price (Ł1200 to JFK for example or Ł1200 to CPT) but if you're paying more than that and still consider it great, you haven't flown other airlines enough to know what you are missing !!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
got a similar wake-up call when taking CW roundtrip between SFO and ATH via LHR. have thankfully been able to avoid BA since. Alex Cruz clearly wants to make BA an LCC.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Of course it does, otherwise it would fly empty.

I can't wait until the new BA seat comes out and people are moaning about prices and lack of reward space instead. There will be less cheap fares from DUB etc.. when there's 10% less business seats to fill.

'You asked for it' will be the only real response
Totally agree and as a result, should bring out the real premium traveller than the bargain hunters. Sadly we need to hope the new seat is a real winner in design to be worth it. Unfortunately there is no evidence to prove this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Maybe it's my age but I do find some of the comments about BA CW somewhat OTT.
It's not that long ago I flew in Lufty F and the woman sat next to me had to crawl over me to get out of her window seat!!
Sealink and Lucanesque like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JAXBA

Cute.

Myself, I do go to bed with my glasses. I put them on my side table, and know where they'll be when I reach for them blindly. The equivalent placement in the CW seat would be to balance them on the central armrest, but that's too insecure, so I use the Elemis bag string trapped over the TV screen trick myself, so at least I know where they are.

If one doesn't have a spare string bag though, there isn't anywhere safe to put glasses except in the drawer, which isn't accessible when the bed is flat. That just doesn't work for the visually challenged…
Exactly - that is for me also the biggest challenge of the CW seat. There is simply nowhere safe to store glasses aside from the drawer, which as you say is inaccessible unless you bring the seat upright. That said, a big side table is not always safe, as I once had a rather drunk seat mate in TK J who, while I was asleep during breakfast service decided to take my glasses instead of his own......

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
One of the best things I have learned from FT is the "make a loop with the wire from the IFE controller" hack. I've worn glasses since I was six (now thirty two) although much better post laser so only a -2 rather than a -14 so I get the pain and the very real fear about being separated from a thing that keeps you safe. No glasses box is a real issue but making the loop and hanging the old boys on it does sort it,
Thanks for the tip! I can't believe I never thought of that option - certainly sounds like the best option there is!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:11 pm

Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I was able to snag a pair of KLM tickets at the price of the VS+9W tickets. Reverse herringbone in a Dreamliner!

Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Do you go to bed with your "eyeglasses" (how quaint). Do you cuddle your book in bed or put your phone under your pillow. Does your bed at home face forward or backwards - can you really tell.....

F me...the things people complain about.
...pretty sure he meant, you'd have to sleep with your glasses on, cuz there's nowhere to put them. That you have nowhere to put the book when you're done with it cuz there's no storage.
SKT-DK and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by icegirl
Totally agree and as a result, should bring out the real premium traveller than the bargain hunters. Sadly we need to hope the new seat is a real winner in design to be worth it. Unfortunately there is no evidence to prove this.
Isn't it too early to say? I didn't think the details had been released by BA yet, just lots of industry speculation, and the brief description that Alex gave at the UK Israel event. Or are there actual details now? Have to say, I can't wait to see it!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by icegirl
Totally agree and as a result, should bring out the real premium traveller than the bargain hunters.
What is the difference between a ‘Bargain hunter’ and a ‘Real’ premium traveller?

Or are you suggesting that the difference is those that pay out of their own pocket (like myself), or the passenger who is on a corporate ticket?

What a bizarre comment.

Looks like I fall into the former category - I know my place!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:30 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Maybe it's my age but I do find some of the comments about BA CW somewhat OTT.
It's not that long ago I flew in Lufty F and the woman sat next to me had to crawl over me to get out of her window seat!!
LH longhaul F has been 1-2-1 for quite a long time now...... You must be reliving the days of your youth! Or else it was in biz not F.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by passy777

What is the difference between a ‘Bargain hunter’ and a ‘Real’ premium traveller?

Or are you suggesting that the difference is those that pay out of their own pocket (like myself), or the passenger who is on a corporate ticket?

What a bizarre comment.

Looks like I fall into the former category - I know my place!
Interesting question! I reckon I'm both... I pay for all my own travel in one way or another (I run my own business), and so mostly look to get a bargain wherever I can whilst travelling premium
passy777 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1P
LH longhaul F has been 1-2-1 for quite a long time now...... You must be reliving the days of your youth! Or else it was in biz not F.
Late 2010 which isn't that long ago.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Late 2010 which isn't that long ago.
And you still have to climb over people in LH J, LX J (unless you get lucky or pay for a prime seat). You do have somewhere to store your specs though, although you sacrifice any privacy whatsoever for it.

How do BA get way with it?! *infer sarcasm*
Dan72, HIDDY and Lucanesque like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Do AIr India still fly their Fifth Freedom (or whatever it's called) flight from JFH to LHR? That's a different experience!

To the me the solution is get status on BA, fly ex-LHR on AA (better seat) and use the CX or QR lounges in T3. Done.
HMPS likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Where were all the competitors then who were so desperate to compete at LHR?
When Jet Airways were establishing a Europen hub around 6/7 years ago, LHR was their preferred choice. They couldn't get the slots and so their EWR and YYZ flights stop over in Brussels as their hub-a direct reaction to lack of capacity at LHR.
HMPS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.