Club World: How do they get away with it?

Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
( Why is it Bucharest OTP? Is is the name of the airport as in ORY, CDG, FCO, LIN etc? )
OT, but precisely so: Bucharest Otopeni airport, the glamorous headquarters of TAROM - although the airport has now been given an official name of a notable person.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Globaliser
OT, but precisely so: Bucharest Otopeni airport, the glamorous headquarters of TAROM - although the airport has now been given an official name of a notable person.
Also BUC is already taken by Burketown.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by richardwft
Virgin and Delta really should get their act together across the Atlantic, healthy competition would be great.
Out of interest, how do they not have their act together now?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 1P
. You want the best seats? Then book early enough to get them. It's the same as booking a seat in the theatre. First come, first served!
Though I know these analogies are best avoided, in this case the theatre one works well for BA: most large theatres that I know have a range of prices, the higher the ticket, the better the view. Usually the cheaper tickets, with the worse views, sell first, and at some point, if you are on a late booking then you may have to pay through the nose, but you may get the royal box with a great view of the production. Now I tend to book late, so my fare would typically be higher than most, but I still generally get a good seat. I don't (like I do on AA) go through the annoyance of paying top dollar for a crummy seat.

BA can either look after the 25% of its passengers who haven't flown in the last 2 years, or it can look after the 39% of passengers who have flown BA 5 or more times in the last 2 years. I'm glad BA sees it through that perspective.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Out of interest, how do they not have their act together now?
Iconsistent hard product across different aircraft types, the DL terminal at JFK is poor.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Virgin and Delta really should get their act together across the Atlantic, healthy competition would be great.
Iconsistent hard product across different aircraft types, the DL terminal at JFK is poor.
If anyone needs a new seat its VS, bar the aisle access from all seats, its inferior in pretty much every way to the CW seat.

If they can keep the lounge as it is with all the DL flights too AND get a seat like the new Delta one (not the crummy ancient 767 one), they would truly be the best option across the Atlantic. Just need more frequency.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by shuly
All window seats face backward.
So? You don't feel any difference (once airborne anyway) and have the most privacy you can imagine once the divider comes up.

Originally Posted by shuly
On the transatlantic flight I (tried to) sleep. But the crew simply wasn't there.
That sounds like a good thing when you try to sleep.
Sealink and Lucanesque like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
People have bad experiences on all airlines - this is clear from this entire Board. That BA has to up its game is beyond question. However, most people as evidenced by the sheer number of bottoms filling seats and that fact that the yields do not look bad from what I have seen, I must conclude that either these people's expectations are low and thus easily fulfilled, ordo not feel prepared to give themselves the fuss of making changes, or ours are more exacting,

To return to where this started, this is a British carrier and there is a person aboard soley to deal with service issues. Try getting a service issue sorted on a US carrier where no one is in charge and see how far that gets you.
You sum it up most excellently, Pucci, that last point in particular, part of the reason why I keep flying the flag - much better to deal with issues as and when they arise. Maybe it's a British thing, or maybe I'm just one of those chaps that hates to cause a fuss, but it took me years to realise that pushing the call button didn't mark you out as a pain in the posterior, and that in fact that was how to get some assistance from the crew, and I don't think I've ever felt really hard done by coming off a BA flight as a result.
Sealink likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:22 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Globaliser
That's a fabulous way of treating your best customers worst. It can only be seriously said with all the smugness of someone whose travel needs extend no further than holidays planned and booked months in advance.
This particular someone happens to fly 125,000+ miles a year back and forth across the Atlantic, nearly all of it business related and none of it on BA. I also fly BA a number of each times a year, within Europe only. They invariably treat me in a way that makes me wish I hadn't, though the lure of intra-Europe nonstop flights makes me come back to be abused again and again. Far from smug, I seriously lament that the "world's favourite airline" is so far from being that that I simply cannot fly it longhaul. The differences in booking, price and service compared with US, Canadian and Australasian airlines are too great. Just don't accuse me of being a once-a-year holidaymaker.
HMPS likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:27 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Try getting a service issue sorted on a US carrier where no one is in charge and see how far that gets you.
Alas, Pucci, that statement simply isn't true. US carriers have pursers in charge at the very least, and even full-blown CSDs if you are lucky. But you are right that it is the quality of the Purser or CSD that will determine whether you get a good crew or a lousy one. That's true for all airlines.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 1P
Far from smug, I seriously lament that the "world's favourite airline" is so far from being that that I simply cannot fly it longhaul. The differences in booking, price and service compared with US, Canadian and Australasian airlines are too great. Just don't accuse me of being a once-a-year holidaymaker.
Then your post would seem to fall into the category of "posting about BA although never flying BA", seeing as the topic is Club World.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by 1P
Alas, Pucci, that statement simply isn't true. US carriers have pursers in charge at the very least, and even full-blown CSDs if you are lucky.
They do, but it is only a title. Pursers on U.S.-based airlines have no management authority over any of the other flight attendants (can't give them instructions, decide where their work, etc.). It's different from European-based airlines..
PUCCI GALORE and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JAXBA

Cute.

Myself, I do go to bed with my glasses. I put them on my side table, and know where they'll be when I reach for them blindly. The equivalent placement in the CW seat would be to balance them on the central armrest, but that's too insecure, so I use the Elemis bag string trapped over the TV screen trick myself, so at least I know where they are.

If one doesn't have a spare string bag though, there isn't anywhere safe to put glasses except in the drawer, which isn't accessible when the bed is flat. That just doesn't work for the visually challenged…
One of the best things I have learned from FT is the "make a loop with the wire from the IFE controller" hack. I've worn glasses since I was six (now thirty two) although much better post laser so only a -2 rather than a -14 so I get the pain and the very real fear about being separated from a thing that keeps you safe. No glasses box is a real issue but making the loop and hanging the old boys on it does sort it,
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:07 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by 1P
Alas, Pucci, that statement simply isn't true. US carriers have pursers in charge at the very least, and even full-blown CSDs if you are lucky. But you are right that it is the quality of the Purser or CSD that will determine whether you get a good crew or a lousy one. That's true for all airlines.
My statement was regarding US Carrier AA. None else. The Purser has no authority to tell the other members what to do, and I know not of any CSDs with them. Unless this has changed in the past few weeks, that was the case. Why do you think that there are all these threads about drinks not being served before take-off? There is no one to whom you can address any such issues. As I say, unless this has changed extremely recently, then this is certainly the case with American Airlines
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:09 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Andriyko
They do, but it is only a title. Pursers on U.S.-based airlines have no management authority over any of the other flight attendants (can't give them instructions, decide where their work, etc.). It's different from European-based airlines..
You beat me to it - they are paid a little more and they do the paperwork.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.