Pricing - App v BA.com

Old Sep 3, 18, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver; Virgin Silver; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Avis president's
Pricing - App v BA.com

Just booked a club return to MCT (Muscat) via the app, selecting cheapest price radio button. The price looked about right, but when I went into MMB to sort out seats etc on the full website, and carried out a dummy booking for my own curiosity, the price dropped by £500. The fare class also changed, to a semi/non flex ticket, wheras the app had the return leg in J (despite asking for the cheapest flight.)

I retried the app with a dummy booking, and got the same price as booked (i.e. the +£500 one). Fortunately the 24 hour cooling off period is live, so I am safe to cancel, but don't think I'll book via the app again.

U
Old Sep 3, 18, 8:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If this is still live, it would be good if you could give dates so it can be investigated further.

However I have also need a number of glitches in this space. Not so much on one-way flights, but for example I have noticed differences between the "FlightList" screen (the tablet friendly version on the front of the UK's version on BA.com) and the "F&H" screen you get via BA.com/flights in most browsers. I think the App uses FlightList too. Among other problems that I have seen is that it is not pairing up all flight options. I noticed a EDI-LGW flight that was offering £37 flights when the immediately proximate services on LHR and LCY were all over £200 as was the earlier LGW flight. Lo and behold this LGW service wasn't showing on FlightList at all, so a whole heap of people would have been unaware of this service. The so-called "fx" screen, used for Multicity, does seem reliable from my searches.
Old Sep 3, 18, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver; Virgin Silver; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Avis president's
Hi cws. The booking was this morning, for outbound on the 7th, return on the 14th of this month. For what it's worth the App is the ios version on an iphone, and the browser used was Chrome on windows.

U
Old Sep 3, 18, 10:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by umgowah View Post
Hi cws. The booking was this morning, for outbound on the 7th, return on the 14th of this month. For what it's worth the App is the ios version on an iphone, and the browser used was Chrome on windows.
I'm don't think I'm replicating this, I'm Android / Chrome.
The App said £2534 in Cheapest Fares which then became £2533.11 in the detail screen
BA.com gave the same price in BA.com/flights, as well as the tablet screen as well as Find Out Cheapest Flights (which is an R flight to Muscat, I flight back, which is good to get at short notice). I guess it is possible that there was a re-evaluation of buckets so that the return leg went from J to I, alternatively if there was more than one passenger and I bucket was I1 at the time or some such.
Old Sep 3, 18, 10:23 am
Original Poster

The iOs app is still giving £3,133.11, R out, J back. Another oddity is that the flight selection tab suggests £911/sector for the return leg, but when the tab is selected the leg prices at £1,511 .

U
Old Sep 3, 18, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Do we know for sure that BA doesn’t “price optimise” based on what it knows about you? Is it possible that the pricing algorithm when called from an anonymous browsing session might result in a different price than the app, which assuming one is logged in, knows your BAEC status and buying history etc?
Old Sep 3, 18, 10:34 am

Are there any other iPhone / iOS users out there able to see this?

What seems to be happening is that it isn't picking up (in your case) the I fare bucket, which is showing in my Android. So I'm seeing £911 on the return sector throughout.
Old Sep 3, 18, 10:45 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
I can confirm £3133.11 on the iOS app, R out and J back.
Old Sep 3, 18, 10:49 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
I’m seeing exactly the same as the OP on the iOS app.
Old Sep 3, 18, 10:51 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL

Old Sep 3, 18, 11:15 am

Thank you highpeaklad and DaveNCL, there clearly is a problem. Here is my Android version showing the lower fares in R then I

:
Old Sep 3, 18, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Out of sheer curiosity I had a look on this also.

£1623 out/£911 return on iOS. Less than1 minute ago but £1267 each way on my Android!
Old Sep 4, 18, 2:57 am

Nice to e-meet you all. It's been a pleasure lurking around this forum for a while, and I have benefited from some of the advice and experience shared in here and also had some good laughs (you're a humorous bunch), so thank you.
The phenomenon described in here sounds like segmented pricing. It's known to some in the e-commerce industry that iOS customers can often be less price sensitive than Android customers. Retailers take advantage of this by showing higher prices to their iOS segment. This can be done on both apps and websites - although many companies struggle to implement it if their e-commerce platforms rely on multiple older system(s).
It's very interesting to see how far BA has come in this space, if my conclusion is right, and something we should be aware of when booking tickets. It would be interesting to see further data points.
dpfs likes this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by jacobchr View Post
Nice to e-meet you all. It's been a pleasure lurking around this forum for a while, and I have benefited from some of the advice and experience shared in here and also had some good laughs (you're a humorous bunch), so thank you.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA Forum jacobchr, it would certainly be good if you could continue to contribute here, thank you for posting. I have my doubts this is a deliberate act of segmentation. From all we know about BA's IT, a simple bug is the more likely cause of this. But certainly we need to aware of the impact of this, moreover BA is doing this under a "best fares" module, and has a best price guarantee too. It's not their style to pick and choose their customers like this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
If that technique really is the case then I’m booking on Opera on a Linux box ;-)
bhbloke, squawk and stephenjc like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: