Pricing - App v BA.com

Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA Forum jacobchr, it would certainly be good if you could continue to contribute here, thank you for posting. I have my doubts this is a deliberate act of segmentation. From all we know about BA's IT, a simple bug is the more likely cause of this. But certainly we need to aware of the impact of this, moreover BA is doing this under a "best fares" module, and has a best price guarantee too. It's not their style to pick and choose their customers like this.
Thank you for the welcome. I’m concerned that in the iOS on my device I also see exactly £1,623 for the outbound in R (and £961 in I) for the flights in question.

A hacky implementation of price segmentation could be to offer different booking classes depending on the device. I like to agree with C-W-S and say that BA wouldn’t do this, but wearing my BA hat I’d argue, as do certain other online retailers, that complaints constitute an edge case and are well worth the handling cost compared to the revenue uplift brought in by the segmentation.

As a BA customer who buys the majority of my tickets through the iOS app I’d be very curious for us to explore this further...
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum; Marriott Silver; Avis president's: Hertz President's
Just to provide an update. I finally received the rebate on the app overcharge after customer support ignored me for 6 months, but paid attention (and the refund) in 2 weeks after an MCOL claim.
Amygdala28 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by endoman
If that technique really is the case then I’m booking on Opera on a Linux box ;-)
So I should avoid booking on my less a year old Mac Book Pro?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
I saw this in the recent sale - £200 difference to F on the iOS app for flights to TLV, but on the website (mobile and full desktop) it was £500 extra. Fully priced up and the difference remained. So the glitch is still there.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
I’m quite sensitive to the prices of my flights although I fly every week for work. A few weeks ago I noticed something similar but in reverse. I normally check the route on google flights and then choose the cheapest combination in CE, I’m usually coming from GLA to somewhere in Europe. On this occasion when I went to BA site on desktop machine the flights I had intended to book were not showing, the only flights showing were 1) Far fewer 2) Much more expensive and at a price I Just wouldn’t have booked at. I then checked on the BA app on my IPhone and there were fares / flights showing for much less. I can’t remember now if the flights were the same as I had originally first found in google flights or not but they were at a price point I would pay and booked them. Sorry can’t remember which flight or date this was for but it was in the last 2/3 weeks.

Regards

DtB
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
How does it price up on third party websites? Perhaps a few 24 hour price guarantee transactions might kick them into fixing it.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I have had several much cheaper fares to Malaga and palma on the app. I assume they talk to different end points / api’s and within the IT mainframe / patch / hack that is old systems something gets lost in translation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.