Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pret sandwiches (or other food) on board the plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pret sandwiches (or other food) on board the plane

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Normally get the opposite reaction from you - lucky you, wise choice, way better than what we have to offer - especially during the period of the fun sized insult that was the second service in WT+ to the East Coast.

The Plane Food and Fortnum hampers always get the most jealous reactions!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
certainly have taken food on board the plane in all cabins before. Nothing wrong in that whatsoever. I have a thing for frazzles, so always have those with me still on all flights even now at my old age! ,

Some years back when I was a meat eater, I often used to take bacon sandwiches as well.

Killian_S, I think you just got a grouchy crew member.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Why do people think Pret is special? They are a sandwich shop. I suspect that people living outside London regard them a a luxury capital food that has to be tried when they escape from “chips and mix” but to us urban sophisticates it’s just a sandwich.
Uh...as a non Londoner (THANK GOD), I don't think Pret is special. It's overpriced back. That's it. Like most other places.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:59 am

PizzaExpress at HKG will gladly give you a pizza in a takeaway box to take onboard.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by ilcannone
Uh...as a non Londoner (THANK GOD), I don't think Pret is special. It's overpriced back. That's it. Like most other places.
I can concur, spending daft money on bland, dry and tasteless bread, no thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Yes, I can confirm they are clearly on sale F&M T5, in the lower fridges on the left hand side. Not all are available all the time, so best have a second choice, or ring up and they will keep one back for you. These bags are very similar to the Plane Food picnics, which you will find on their website, and they are a little less expensive. A wide number of T5's establishments do take away food or picnic options.
I'm actually now annoyed that all my upcoming flights from LHR are in CE. That rare beef one sounds lovely.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Never in CW or F but sadly in Y flights over 7-8 hours I usually pick up a sandwich from Pret to have half way through
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:49 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Calum
PizzaExpress at HKG will gladly give you a pizza in a takeaway box to take onboard.
Now we just need an airport Tim Ho Wan...
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Amex BA Premium Plus
Many times I take something on-board. Last time from Buenos Aires, I took some leftover cake from my birthday, biscuits, and alfajores.
Then I can joke with my friends that they served that on-board.

Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by VSLover
once on a F LHR-DEN flight, i brought my own caviar just because i felt like it, haha. i asked the crew to help me plate everything and they were more than happy to help!
I do like your style, I am very tempted to try that myself next time I fly BA F. I already take a caviar spoon in my standard carry on, I was caught short once on a Malaysian flight, ended up scooping it onto the back of my hand: the stainless steel teaspoon provided is just so very wrong!

As well as the caviar spoon, I also sometimes take a decent wine glass on board. Before the liquids ban, I would often take own wine on board. Occasionally I still do, particularly if I can find a decent bottle of dessert wine in duty free on airlines that don’t serve it, (I remember being tempted by a bottle of 1900 Ch d’Yquem in Berry Bros and Rudd at T3 when they were there a decade or so ago).
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by ilcannone
The difference is that they are a chain that actually makes their sandwiches on the premises, so they are almost always pretty fresh: sometimes late afternoon you might get unlucky and come across a slightly stale one.

Regrettably there are very few “proper” independent sandwich shops left in London anymore, where they make you a decent sarny on demand, many pushed out by Pret I shouldn’t wonder.

I go hot and cold on them, I have five of them within five minutes of my desk. I rate their filter coffee very highly as filter coffee goes, 99p for a decent sized cup, or 49p if you supply your own receptacle, either way hardly a luxury item. On the other hand, recently they have stopped providing plastic stoppers at some outlets, so they end up spilling everywhere, making any paper bag it’s in disintegrate as you walk back to your desk. It’s a weak sustainability effort to box tick greenwash credentials, akin to bailing out the Titanic with a teaspoon.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Why do people think Pret is special? They are a sandwich shop. I suspect that people living outside London regard them a a luxury capital food that has to be tried when they escape from “chips and mix” but to us urban sophisticates it’s just a sandwich.

Tesco sandwich’s, particularly the plain ham, is much better.
Pret is fine, but never fills me. So yes, overpriced small portions. I would love for LHR to have a Burger King at T5, then I wouldn't starve, I'd just take some burgers on board and have a hot meal on board! There are no cheap hot food options in T5 unfortunately, which really isn't fun for me, as I have to stick with Itsu and Pret, neither of which are filling.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
I always have a standby sandwich/pork pie/scotch egg/sausage roll in my bag from M&S, you don't get a physique like mine by restricting yourself to airline food.

Some of this is also due to rose tinted glasses for a last deperate taste of home before landing back in the US
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by Howard Long

I already take a caviar spoon in my standard carry on,
Wonderful, simply wonderful!! I suspect this is a comment you would only ever find on a BA thread, at least one hopes so.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
I have taken my own bread rolls on a couple of BA F flights - not because of any special dietary requirements, but because the bread basket on my first F flight was so disappointing. No choice, just crumbly white rolls. I got funny looks when I once asked for just bacon for breakfast, but I made my own bacon sandwich with a big sunflower seed roll (from BreadTalk in Singapore) and it was delicious!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.