Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attaining gold. Does it make sense or not?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Maybe easy if you have a lot of money and time! At typical CW prices to LHR from where I live that's an investment of ~$250,000 and being away from home 70% of the year. For the vast majority of people, those make gold unattainable. In order to have that level of discretionary income it puts a person into the top 0.5% of income earners.
I’ve had 880TP off of a £1200 fare, and many of the oft mentioned LA-Panama runs far better TP/£. Surely a better question is why do you want BA Gold in a place where those are numbers, it seems a bit like me in London wanting status with Air New Zealand? That’s going to cost me a lot of time and money, and have minimal value.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Originally Posted by Lefly
Pardon my naivety, what does that mean/imply?
Hilton, like IAG, has many brands offering very different levels of service and little consistency across the product even within a brand/destination. For instance, BA Gold is worth nothing with Vueling just as HH Diamond is with Doubletree or Hampton Inns.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
IN my work I fly once a month from GLA to LON. If I fly in ET it is about £150 but £220 in CE So I use 5,000 avios to bring the price down. Since the CE gets me 2000 extra compared to ET I'm out of pocket by 24k AVIOS/year. However, some fares are similar so I'm really only out of pocket by 16K Avios.

Now that means I get a free cup of tea some food my company doesn't need to expense (in lounge, on plane) and a GnT on the return I don't need to pay for. So good value for me and my company.

On LH we fly WT+ and this means I get access to bulkhead seats. This is a massive benefit to me. As a Gold I get upgraded to J a few times on CX. I also don't need to queue at some of the busy Asia airports. Last week at the CX 1st counter when changing a flight for free, I heard the GA say on the phone to supervisor (yes he is Emerald) and it was clearly the reason I was upgraded to Business and not downgraded to Y. I suspect.

I get access to the 1st lounges HKG NRT HND etc so it means I have some lovely food in the lounge and more sleep on the flight in bulkhead row in WT+.

Also having the extra miles over the year (probably about 90k gets me three legs in CW upgrades. Getting my GUF2 and 2xGUF1 gets me another three months upgrades. Then the rest of m miles gets me another three upgrades. So next year I'll be able to get about 1/2 my travel in CW.

My next thing is to get adventurous with ExEU etc. So for me it is a massive benefit being Gold. Especially as a GLA to Asia traveller.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Greenpen

Please post photo of your cat.

(PS. Moderators take a hard line on cats as they are desperately trying to stop FT becoming a funny cat website. However, I expect your cat is special.)
As cats are banned I hope one of our Molly will do. Unfortunately, I am also in the picture.....the one on the right.

Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Maybe easy if you have a lot of money and time! At typical CW prices to LHR from where I live that's an investment of ~$250,000 and being away from home 70% of the year. For the vast majority of people, those make gold unattainable. In order to have that level of discretionary income it puts a person into the top 0.5% of income earners.
Simple back of the envelope calculations:
CW return to SFO, with stopover in JFK each way, yields 560 TPs for approx 1,600GBP.
5000 TPs is 9 return trips, for 14,400 GBP.

A lot of money, but achievable, and a lot less than your estimate. And it all depends if you need to have CCR access, all your GUFs etc. and how much you expect to enjoy the benefits. If you only travel 10-20 times a year, that's overkill IMHO.

Gold is achievable at 4,800GBP. (Even less if you're able to bag every weekend in the sale period to HEL, at 1.5TP/GBP). I'm going for it this year with 2 TATL, a bit of work travel where I'll look at POUGs and a couple of weekends in HEL where I can also work on my HH Diamond status challenge for under 100GBP a night.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by firstlight
(...)
3) Upgrades. Possibly get more in gold than when silver, but booking certain routes in certain classes in certain seats seems to help.
(...)
You have whet my curiosity there, is there a thread about this anywhere?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by alex67500
Probably just personal experience. I had plenty of upgrades flying OW as BA gold. Mostly on CX, but others too.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Simple back of the envelope calculations:
CW return to SFO, with stopover in JFK each way, yields 560 TPs for approx 1,600GBP.
5000 TPs is 9 return trips, for 14,400 GBP.

A lot of money, but achievable, and a lot less than your estimate..
The previous poster said 36 trips,that was my basis.

However, it's clear that trip ex UK are much cheaper than from North America, especially Canada. For example, on a simple YYC-LHR return, the cheapest fare I can see in CW from now until the end of October is $8229, the most expensive $11,500 for a 4 day stay. That's about £4900 to £6800. Bumping it to a week simply increases the highest fare and the lowest stays the same.

In the last 2 years I don't think I have seen a CW fare to LHR fare under $6,000. In the past I have flown on the cheapest economy fare I could find and it was still $2500 and I got 40 TP from that. So obtaining gold ex Canada is a very expensive proposition.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:19 am

The previous poster said 36 trips,that was my basis.

However, it's clear that trip ex UK are much cheaper than from North America, especially Canada. For example, on a simple YYC-LHR return, the cheapest fare I can see in CW from now until the end of October is $8229, the most expensive $11,500 for a 4 day stay. That's about £4900 to £6800. Bumping it to a week simply increases the highest fare and the lowest stays the same.

In the last 2 years I don't think I have seen a CW fare to LHR fare under $6,000. In the past I have flown on the cheapest economy fare I could find and it was still $2500 and I got 40 TP from that. So obtaining gold ex Canada is a very expensive proposition.
There's another solution there, but there's a big catch: if you travel to the UK regularly. Book a one-way redemption to LHR, take the Avios hit once, and then book return trips ex-LON for your next visit(s). It does mean you have to know when you're coming back next, but I have a freelance colleague from Chicago who spends a week here every month, he's found he saves about 10-15k a year doing that.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Had a 'gold' moment the other day flying in CE ex-LGW. I chose to st in row 2 (for reasons discussed recently in this forum). Just before the meal service, a member of the cabin crew asked me - conspiratorially, in hushed tones - which of the meal choices I'd prefer. Then, with a nod and wink, assured me that she would hold one back for me. (I assumed that the PAX in row one and 2A & 2C did not have gold status.)

Oh to feel smug for 20 seconds!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
don't know about a thread, it might be entirely random but DXB , CW to F has always worked for 2 of us together (even better when wt+ tickets plus UUA). Also returning from Canada in wt+ to cw seems fairly regular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.