FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA's move from Ataturk to the new Istanbul airport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1928528-bas-move-ataturk-new-istanbul-airport.html)

schrodingerdog May 17, 2019 10:14 am

Originally Posted by hfly (Post 31110933)
You would think it would be that simple, however in my recent experience, I was able to check in online, but was not issued a boarding pass because I needed a "visa check" which is of course ridiculous flying Ist-lhr as I require no visa, nor have I ever needed a " visa check" in that direction (there are times where the computer flags stick a check in the other direction, but still issues a boarding pass) judging by the large number of people at check in who were in the same situation as me, it would seem that this was a problem that everyone was having and when I asked BA peeps about it, they were seemingly exasperated. Had this been fixed? I do not know, but will be doing it again in a few weeks and will see.

AFAIK that would never be fixed because it is a requirement from the UK government, not a BA thing. All flights from Turkey to the UK are subject to special security measures (visa checks and extra security) and they will only issue a boarding pass at the counter in the airport. I've travelled a lot from Turkey to the UK (on a EU passport) and I've never been able to check in online, only at the airport, and after some (sometimes rude, especially when travelling with Turkish friends) questioning from the check-in people.

Note that this is a UK thing, not a wide EU thing. I am able to check-in online and get a boarding pass for Turkey-Belgium flights easily.

hfly May 17, 2019 10:59 am

What in Earth you talking about? I have flown from Istanbul to London on more than 1000 occasions as long ago as three decades ago and as recently as YESTERDAY (but with TK, in fact I am paying this from a plane back to IST right now! ), furthermore for over 25 years I have been one of the top, if not the most frequent flyer with BA on this particular route,and what you have just written is complete and utter nonsense. For the last 8 years for LHR flights there are visa checks at both check-in and /or at the gate, and there has never ever been any sort provision keeping people from checking in and receiving their boarding pass online.
​​​

Prospero May 17, 2019 11:07 am

I routinely check-in online and collect my BP on my iPhone for travel in both directions, and have successfully managed to do so without any issues irrespective of travelling with a prepaid e-visa or purchasing a visa on arrival.

hfly May 17, 2019 11:13 am

Exactly

Deltus May 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog (Post 31111508)
I've travelled a lot from Turkey to the UK (on a EU passport) and I've never been able to check in online, only at the airport, and after some (sometimes rude, especially when travelling with Turkish friends) questioning from the check-in people.

Don't take it personally, but... sounds like it's just you! Have you done anything to raise the Turkish eyebrow?

hfly May 17, 2019 2:36 pm

I must admit that I had the same thought!

ISTFlyer May 17, 2019 4:56 pm

I never had a problem checking-in online for a BA flight departing from IST, however, due to a visa check issue, I had several occasions that my IST-LHR mobile boarding pass could be generated and but not for my flight to my finals destination from Heathrow. In these cases, after the ground staff scans my passport in IST, I was able to generate boarding passes for the LHR-XXX legs.

Mobile boarding pass from IST works perfectly, however, when you visit the check-in desks with a mobile boarding pass or a self-printed boarding pass, the ground staff would change that with an actual counter-printed boarding pass. In IST, during boarding, they detach the large part of the boarding pass, for a reason I don't know.

Travelling Inspector May 26, 2019 3:44 am

This is an edited (for relevance) extract from what I've just posted on the TK forum thread about international transit at IST:

Absolutely no problem about checking in on line for the outward flight and going straight through the First Wing (HBO) to the lounge.

Arriving from the UK I did have to undergo Security in the International Transit area to get airside, but it was quick and easy after getting my BP for the onward flight from the TK transfer desk. (No lounge access as I don't have TK/SA status.) On the return leg I had a self-printed BP for the BA flight - the Security guy suggested I go to the transfer desk for a proper 'ticket' but I pointed at the words 'Boarding Pass' in large type at the top of the document, which he accepted with a bad grace. This was fine with the security people at the gate, who did not keep any part of the BP. I was slightly concerned that I might have needed to pick some sort of rubber stamp on the way through, but there were no issues with that.

No problem on the return leg getting access to the IGA lounge - with just my BA BP, no need to flash the Gold card - which was comfortable and had a reasonable range of snacks and drinks. Wifi good - you are given a PIN on entry to the lounge which is fine once you select the correct network...

Duty-free just as overpriced in the new airport as it was in the old.

Earthman Jan 31, 2024 4:15 pm

Can I ask what door at Ist do I ask my driver to bring me for the BA desks and nearest security to the lounge these days
Thank you

TedToToe Jan 31, 2024 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Earthman (Post 35959086)
Can I ask what door at Ist do I ask my driver to bring me for the BA desks and nearest security to the lounge these days
Thank you

At the drop off area outside the terminal, aim for door 2. Once checked in, there is a large internationals security and immigration area, but you can skip that if you have fast-track. Once through, turn left and follow the signs for the IGA lounge, which is up an escalator on the left hand side, just past the Lego shop.

ISTFlyer Feb 1, 2024 6:15 am

If you are HBO, door 4 is the closest door to the fast-track security.

TheFlyingCyclist Feb 14, 2024 7:15 am

Wowzers… the IST lounge is epic! Pool table, cracking selection of hot and cold food, nice Turkish wine and beer, absolutely huge (feels like another terminal!) and masses of seating. Really high quality fittings. Beautifully clean. Easily the best non-BA lounge I’ve been in and probably up there with the best anywhere….

Fresh meat pide
moussaka
chicken curry
pasta station
freshly cooked mini slider burgers
cheese toastie station (??)
Mezze
salads
mized Turkish desserts
kids play area
Pool table
lovely bar area
live music in one area (!!)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b9556c323.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1464337ea.jpeg

Lioneye Feb 14, 2024 7:20 am

It's lovely when it's like that but I've seen it heaving before when seating space is gone & huge queue for food.

I suppose it depends on amount of flights around the time and any delays.

TedToToe Feb 14, 2024 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Lioneye (Post 35997943)
It's lovely when it's like that but I've seen it heaving before when seating space is gone & huge queue for food.

I suppose it depends on amount of flights around the time and any delays.

Yes, heaving would describe most of my visits, also! And the miserly measures of wine do irritate me!

hfly Feb 15, 2024 4:29 am

Wow if you are that impressed by the IGA lounge food, you probably would not survive the TK lounge!