Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA's move from Ataturk to the new Istanbul airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's move from Ataturk to the new Istanbul airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
So, going back to topic, has anyone been to the lounge that BA use at new Istanbul airport yet?
I will report back on Monday!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus / Star Alliance Gold ; AY Gold / One World Sapphire; Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I reckon the perceived rudeness is a manifestation of cabin crew members' (generally) low levels of proficiency in English, exacerbated by cultural differences.

Couple that with a British delight in an easy flow of drinks, with constant top-ups, not always fully congruent with the Turkish approach to alcohol consumption.
Alcoholic drinks have been plentiul during my TK flights. If I sensed they were somehow making a point that drinking is less welcomed, I'd stop flying with them at the drop of a hat. I fly mostly business, but even in econ there's free red wine (including, of course, a Turkish variety - I love that about these flag carriers).

I even recall a BRU-IST flight (business class) where one passenger got so drunk that he became a nuisance to others. The crew was quite accomodating, though not serving him drinks anymore, and thanks to their kid-gloves approach we made it without major incidents. Hat off to their social worker skills.

Full disclosure: I don't wear a hat.

Last edited by FEasy; Apr 16, 2019 at 7:29 am Reason: spelling /syntax
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by ajamieson

Not seen any pics or reviews of the native lounge that BA is supposedly using. Reviews of the TK lounge seem to suggest evolution rather than revolution so I won't be expecting much.
Given that the TK lounge at Ataturk was pretty much at the top of the game and recognised as an exceptionally good business class lounge there wouldn't be too much benefit in increasing the offering significantly. If every business lounge was as good as that was frequent flyers would be much happier people.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That being said, it was at first a huge improvement and then several gradual improvements. When the former IST opened just before the turn of the century, the TK "CIP" lounge was absolute garbage and the BA lounge was far superior. A decade later, TK moved to the other side of the terminal, and although the lounge was much larger, it was still garbage, and the BA lounge was still better (they had essentially the same catering/caterer). It was not until about 3 years later that TK closed down the lounge for over 8 months and came up with what was a quarter of the final lounge, which was great, but way too small. It was coincidentally around this time that BA cut some more costs and closed its lounge and went for whatever that BTA lounge was, which was ok. Over the next 3-4 years TK doubled the size of the lounge by turfing out the horrible "Cafe Krem" and then doubled it AGAIN, by getting rid of the employee cafeteria downstairs..........and BA went a step crappier with the "Millenium lounge". So I had hoped that TK would be making even more improvements in their new home, and from what I have been reading, there really have not been so much (other than the fact that there are now two of them), OTOH, I believe BA will be using the IGA lounge (I have not flown BA from the new airport yet and currently won't be until next month) which from what I have seen is an improvement over the Millenium lounge , but then again almost anything is an improvement over that lounge.

As for those complaining about TK vs. BA on the route. So you were waiting for your drink on a 777 in Business Class? Was your seat in a reclined position? Did you have choices of Appetiser, Entree, and Dessert? Were you watching one of several hundred entertainment options? Because those are things that you would not be doing an a BA A320 on this route. If one wants to compare economy products it becomes more of a stark contrast (did you get water? food? entertainment? seat selection?).
IAN-UK, ajamieson, CoweyB and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ
Then we are flying on a different TK. I have seen many rude BA/IB/AA/LH/LO F/A's. I am yet to see even a single rude TK F/A. You can complain about ground handling or call center quality, but rude F/A's - really?

Personal vendetta against TK or something?
I don’t think your response is constructive. Clearly I had high expectations for TK which is why I chose to fly them over LH in the first place (this was a TBS trip, so limited options). No vendetta whatsoever. I also encountered many rude BA/IB/AA attendants but this doesn’t make TK rudeness any better.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze, HHonors: Silver, Virgin Flying Club: Red, Miles & More
Just throwing a thought out there. What do people think are the chances that BA may one day upgrade the ISL route to a long haul service, like they did with DME many years ago?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by travelsbyplane
Just throwing a thought out there. What do people think are the chances that BA may one day upgrade the ISL route to a long haul service, like they did with DME many years ago?
I don't think so, also I have heard that ex-BMI premium A321's would be reconfigured or leave the fleet in a few years.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by travelsbyplane
No chance. Zip, zilch, nada.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The issue with DME is/SAS that BA was regularly charging over $3k RT in club to DME and servicing the route worth short haul aircraft and everyone was eating their lunch to Moscow as everyone had a far superior product, that are forced to. IST biz cards have never been at that level, so they would not bother. BA simply had given up in Turkey, they can maintain a flight or two to IST but TK has pricing power on the route.
lhrpete and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Observations from arrival

* arrived on 34L, stand D7. A 23 minute taxi!
* walking distances are significant but not outrageous
* no fastrack immigration for non-TK customers
* immigration queues as badly organised as Atatürk
* HBO so no idea on reclaim times
* the building looks pretty good in parts and plenty of natural light. However it does look complete rather than finished...

Overall 1h5mins from touchdown to car which is pretty slow

It then took another hour to Karaköy at 5pm on a Friday afternoon. Great shame there is no rail link.

Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
I’ll be connecting BA-TK Through IST middle of May (15th May, arriving 1635 BA676, departing 17th May 1735). we’re aiming for 1900 to IST.

- are there any clues as to connection for onward flights, international to domestic. I’ll have cargo hold.
- or is it a case of exit the terminal and head to checkin desks?
- how long should one allow at departure (passport and security check) when leaving the new airport?
- I read there is no fast track, for both arrival and departures?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Gate D7 isn't too bad - i was fearing BA aircraft would end up parking at one of Havalimani's outer limbs.

No fast track immigration is bad news - even with an e-visa the arrival experience sounds like a drag
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Prospero
Gate D7 isn't too bad - i was fearing BA aircraft would end up parking at one of Havalimani's outer limbs.
Havalimani is the Turkish word for airport, not the name of this particular facility.
lhrpete, MichaelBaku and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by NeilP
I’ll be connecting BA-TK Through IST middle of May (15th May, arriving 1635 BA676, departing 17th May 1735). we’re aiming for 1900 to IST.

- are there any clues as to connection for onward flights, international to domestic. I’ll have cargo hold.
- or is it a case of exit the terminal and head to checkin desks?
- how long should one allow at departure (passport and security check) when leaving the new airport?
- I read there is no fast track, for both arrival and departures?
Hi NeilP;

- There is a dedicated transfer security area and immigration booths for international to domestic. However, if you're reservations are on separate tickets you need to exit the international terminal by clearing the regular passport control, claim your baggage and recheck your bags at the departure level. Also, if you're planning to return to Istanbul and make a domestic to international transfer, be aware that, if your reservations are on separate tickets, you must claim your bags at Istanbul unless you figure to interline them.

- There is a fast track for non-TK airlines but I am not sure if BA contracts this service. ( currently only available at departures ). For a 1735 flight during a Ramadan Friday, you would be fine and the maximum wait in regular lane would be around 20-25 minutes for non-Turkish citizens. ( However, it could be less or more ). Also be aware that BA 677 is occasionally delayed, so you won't be in a panic in most circumstances.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold

TK business class IFE

TK Main Sword fish

TK starter

BA red Thai curry

Huge distances

Stunning building

View from IGA lounge
Originally Posted by hfly

As for those complaining about TK vs. BA on the route. So you were waiting for your drink on a 777 in Business Class? Was your seat in a reclined position? Did you have choices of Appetiser, Entree, and Dessert? Were you watching one of several hundred entertainment options? Because those are things that you would not be doing an a BA A320 on this route. If one wants to compare economy products it becomes more of a stark contrast (did you get water? food? entertainment? seat selection?).

i flew CAI IST this week on TK on 321 Neo (2 hours) then on Friday IST. LHR on BA. The difference between these two business class flights was stark and something akin to comparing the Orient Express to a London commuter belt train.

TK offered pre take off drinks, (no alcohol on the route) dedicated cabin, wide range of IFE, Free WiFi, fabulous food and two crew who served the 20 customers with style and panache. One crew member was in the valley whilst the other served the trays. For the main course they served together from a trolley I have only ever seen used on long haul flight. Starter plates removed prior to serving the main.

BA offered club Europe to 24 passengers, no IFE, No WIFi, no pre take off drink but they did have in seat power in the economy class seat with the middle one kept free (the middle table has been removed. The food was fine but everything was served on the one small tray.

2 crew, who were very engaging but hampered by such a poor hard product on a long flight (over 3 hours) plus 25 minutes taxi on departure.

BA check in was area C and the IGA lounge is at the other end of the terminal. It’s a long walk but the building is stunning and there is a wide range of shops and things to do.

i was very impressed with the lounge with a wide range of food and lots of seating. I think it will get very busy at peak times and if they accept priority pass in near future ( the receptionist suggested they will to one man trying to get in. I think she said the walk in rate was 59 Euro but cannot be certain.

no fast track security offered or seen but not required as terminal was quiet and there were no queues.

It’s a fabulous airport but distances are vast. Still I would happily transit to use TK again
CoweyB likes this.

Last edited by binman; Apr 20, 2019 at 4:19 pm Reason: Factual error

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.