Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA's move from Ataturk to the new Istanbul airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's move from Ataturk to the new Istanbul airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a flight mid April. Must ensure we HBO...
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unlike other airlines that "got the memo" or whatever, SQ actually cancelled flights in October, January and March, based on the previous move "news" so they on their own mean nothing. I am still highly dubious that this is going to happen on April 5/6. Everyone seems to forget all the big pronouncements six months ago.................. Some "external" factor will be claimed after local elections happen on the 31st.......I just feel it.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I have a flight mid April. Must ensure we HBO...
I am rather pleased that BA.com for some reason couldn't price up KIX ex-IST on 6th April when I booked my flight.
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Aegean have now also cancelled flights to IST on 5 & 6 April due to the airport move.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Aegean have now also cancelled flights to IST on 5 & 6 April due to the airport move.
And I have been got at by that. I am flying IST-ATH on them because I couldn't price up a BA ticket ex-IST and booked BA ex-ATH instead.

Now I need to spend an extra night in ATH. Not that I'm complaining about staying in ATH because I love ATH, but the extra costs of hotel and a lost room (prepaid, non-changeable) is a bit annoying.

Hopefully BA won't cancel 5th/6th for people's sake!
Nothing on BA.com yet.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
BA staff at IST somewhat sceptical about the April move date this morning.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:33 am

Interesting post in the A3 forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30883825-post3.html
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
Just received a text that a flight booked on April 5 has been cancelled. I must call to re-arrange...
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
It seems all BA flights cancelled on 05 and 06 April
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Grande Annee
It seems all BA flights cancelled on 05 and 06 April
Based on the post I linked to earlier in the thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30883825-post3.html), it appears that neither Ataturk nor the new IST would be available for non-Turkish carriers on 5th or 6th. That seems to be why.

I am so thankful I did not book ex-IST because I'd have been in a spot of bother if I couldn't reach my destination in time (which I wouldn't have been able to had I been flying ex-IST).

I think this is the first time I have BA website issue to thank for something good!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
Unlike other airlines that "got the memo" or whatever, SQ actually cancelled flights in October, January and March, based on the previous move "news" so they on their own mean nothing. I am still highly dubious that this is going to happen on April 5/6. Everyone seems to forget all the big pronouncements six months ago.................. Some "external" factor will be claimed after local elections happen on the 31st.......I just feel it.
You have been consistent on the TK pages about this and it will be interesting to see what actually happens.

I am due to arrive in IST on the 17th April on TK and leave and leave on the 18th on BA. I will then return to IST in August to hopefully fly on TK's non stop 787 to DPS.

I hope it goes smoothly for them whenever it happens, but history tells us that few new airports operate smoothly from day 1.

Must say have been nightly impressed with TK over some minor schedule changes and both their app and call centre staff. Very efficient.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I have been consistent and right about every single thing regarding this airport for over two years now...... Look as if stands, they are heel bent on this, however as it currently stands regarding BA, at this moment in time the CAA has found 26 problems at the takeout, that if not remedied will mean that British registered aircraft will not be able to serve the airport, and no one knows what these are and how difficult they are to remedy as IGA is extremely tight lipped about this To date the TSA and FAA have not inspected nor approved anything at the airport. Even if the inspections are to start this Monday (which AFAIK they are not), we don't know what problems they might find and if it's a little different than the CAA, as violations /deficiencies would most likely mean that no flights to North America by any airline could operate. And who knows what problems might be found and how long they would take to fix. It is bad enough that currently they will have to transport between 50,000 and 100,000 meals a day, a long distance and are facing sanitary concerns (most short and more haul TK flights carry meals for both directions from Istanbul). It is even worse that TK's Cargo operation may essentially evaporate in a month if they do not get it together, but if their backup plan is actually to keep North American flights to/from Ataturk, until FAA and TSA approval, they will destroy their connection business and decimate their schedules
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:50 am

BA just published an announcement, confirming their "intention" to use the new airport starting on 7 April. I cannot post URLs yet but just check the "travel news section" on BA's website

Last edited by erty10; Mar 20, 2019 at 7:50 am Reason: phrasing
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by erty10
BA just published an announcement, confirming their "intention" to use the new airport starting on 7 April. I cannot post URLs yet but just check the "travel news section" on BA's website
i have a flight from IST to LHR on the 19th. So far no information from BA and app still states Ataturk

by comparison TK information is very good (assuming it opens) and they have updated all my flights and contacted me several times.

should be interesting.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
Originally Posted by erty10
https://lfn.custhelp.com/app/answers...a3BYSXRiYm8%3D

Summary
Along with all other airlines, British Airways will be transferring its flights to Istanbul New Airport, following the closure of Istanbul Ataturk Airport for commercial flights.

Any customers due to fly with British Airways to Istanbul up until 4 April 2019 will arrive into Istanbul Ataturk Airport.

From 7 April 2019 all flights will arrive into Istanbul New Airport.

More information During the transition period (5-6 April), no British Airways flights will operate to or from Istanbul. We have contacted affected customers, who will be offered a full refund or the opportunity to move their travel dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.