Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA's move from Ataturk to the new Istanbul airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's move from Ataturk to the new Istanbul airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Question BA's move from Ataturk to the new Istanbul airport

Information I've gleaned from MMB indicates BA will still be using Ataturk in November. In fact, at the moment the timetable is showing Ataturk right through to the end of August 2019, so I suspect there isn't a firm date yet for BA to move its operations over to the new IST airport, which is expected to open on 29 October 2018.

I have flights booked to IST for mid November, so I am curious as to which airport I'll be flying into.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Hi i think they are wrong. I think there will be no flights for 2 days and all airlines would move to the new IST Hong Kong style.

maybe BA just didn’t bother updating systems?

i mean the new Airport will take over the code of IST anyway!

Dont know what what the new airport will be called of course !

i am 99% sure you will fly to the new IST and we are expecting a nice review from you !
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

I found some more info in the Q&A section of ba.com which answers my question.
New Airport in Istanbul
Answer Id 6948 Updated 31/08/2018 11.05 AM (BST)

Question
Along with all other airlines, British Airways will be transferring its flights to Istanbul New Airport, after the closure of Istanbul Ataturk Airport.

Any customers due to fly to Istanbul up until October 29, 2018 will arrive into Istanbul Ataturk Airport.

From November 1, 2018, all flights will arrive into Istanbul New Airport.

Answer
During the transition period, the following flights will be cancelled:

October 29 - BA680
October 30 - BA676/677 & BA680/675
October 31 - BA676/677 & BA680/675
November 1 - BA675

We have notified any customers whose flights are affected.

What to do if your flight has been cancelled
If your flight has been cancelled, please do not travel to the airport. We have a policy in place outlining the options available to you and how to make changes to your booking.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
I found some more info in the Q&A section of ba.com which answers my question.
New Airport in Istanbul
Answer Id 6948 Updated 31/08/2018 11.05 AM (BST)

Question
Along with all other airlines, British Airways will be transferring its flights to Istanbul New Airport, after the closure of Istanbul Ataturk Airport.

Any customers due to fly to Istanbul up until October 29, 2018 will arrive into Istanbul Ataturk Airport.

From November 1, 2018, all flights will arrive into Istanbul New Airport.

Answer
During the transition period, the following flights will be cancelled:

October 29 - BA680
October 30 - BA676/677 & BA680/675
October 31 - BA676/677 & BA680/675
November 1 - BA675

We have notified any customers whose flights are affected.

What to do if your flight has been cancelled
If your flight has been cancelled, please do not travel to the airport. We have a policy in place outlining the options available to you and how to make changes to your booking.
yes makes sense. Fairly easy for foreign airlines. The main logistical challenge falls to TK, now that’s going to be an intense move !
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I think the FAA, among possibly other US bodies, have some form of regulatory input before services can operate from an airport to the United States. Does the EU exercise the same prerogative?

If so, and given the airport is some way from being ready for use, there might have to be some pretty intense activity before the proposed change-over day.

For a whole album of photos, and wider discusion about the new airport, there's a pretty comprehensive thread in the TK forum.

Istanbul New Airport
Goaguy likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Based on latest pictures and commentators I saw from the new airport it looked likely to be delayed... I’m sure there’s a thread somewhere with entertaining views and speculation. [or even the post just above! D’oh]

(we all know what happened / is happening with Berlin...)
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I think the FAA, among possibly other US bodies, have some form of regulatory input before services can operate from an airport to the United States. Does the EU exercise the same prerogative?

If so, and given the airport is some way from being ready for use, there might have to be some pretty intense activity before the proposed change-over day.

For a whole album of photos, and wider discusion about the new airport, there's a pretty comprehensive thread in the TK forum.

Istanbul New Airport
The airport will be ready. They are working 24/7 in 3 shifts of 8 hours, Turkey has huge manpower capabilities. It will have the main terminal and 2 fully usable runways. The other runways will come later anyway, and have always planned to be that way. The road will be fine, and many people (myself included) take the shuttle bus to/from the airport when flying to Istanbul anyway. So, from the start, it will have more capaciity for flights, parked planes and passengers (the old IST runways could not always be used simultaneously as they were too close to each other or interfering with each other's flight paths, no such issue with the new airport).

Don't compare IST to Berlin or even Heathrow, there is less bureaucracy in Turkey for these things. No 10 year long public enquiries over there!
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Istanbul New Airport
That is a excellent thread, full of valuable insight. What makes it a little unclear are the progress shots; some of which show aspects of the construction which are realistically a good 6 to 12 months away from readiness, even taking into account fast track construction processes but perhaps these photos depict parts of the airport that are scheduled to open after the official opening date.

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Don't compare IST to Berlin or even Heathrow, there is less bureaucracy in Turkey for these things. No 10 year long public enquiries over there!
I think at this stage we can draw meaningful comparisons. The UK's planning process is often protracted but once the developments move into the construction stage, progress tends to be highly efficient. What I would expect to see is a building that is physically complete at around 6 months ahead of opening with final fit out work and commissioning works continuing until the building is finally ready for occupation.

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 2, 2018 at 7:27 am
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:47 am

Having been involved in new hotel projects for a number of years previously you would be surprised at how unfinished things seem up until the last minute - I used to be quite alarmed at points but it (almost) always came together

It does look pretty far from being operational though - considering the challenges BA had opening T5 in a pretty "big bang" style if you are travelling in the first few weeks I would expect some chaos personally. Flying through on 21st Dec so hopefully things are rather sorted by then

I hope the electronic restrictions are lifted with the move!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
I remember a trip to Berlin Tegel a few years ago when the BA captain proudly announced that from next week BA would be flying from the new Berlin Airport ) .....Still waiting
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I think there will be no flights for 2 days and all airlines would move to the new IST Hong Kong style.
Other than that Hong Kong did it overnight, closing Kai Tak one evening and starting flights at Chek Lap Kok the next morning - not after two days of no flights!
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Other than that Hong Kong did it overnight, closing Kai Tak one evening and starting flights at Chek Lap Kok the next morning - not after two days of no flights!
The 2 days is for foreign airlines. TK will do it overnight, as in fly out of one airport, and fly in the other, or ferry depending on the situation. TK has a huge operation in Istanbul.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:25 pm

Various rumours around online that the airport is not ready and there will be an initial move of "non connecting" flights until December

I could well imagine BA being included in this as I presume their traffic is all O&D that end, but if its really not ready they may just have TK move a few flights for political reasons rather than force any of the commerical carriers over

If you are flying out over the next few months definately keep a close eye on arrangements !
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by sammyg901
...If you are flying out over the next few months definately keep a close eye on arrangements !
And definitely don’t plan any back-to-backs during the change-over period!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
BA may not have much of a say in the matter, but with practically no public transport links to the new airport, they'd be well advised to shift operations to SAW for a year or two... (if booted out of Ataturk)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.