Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA's move from Ataturk to the new Istanbul airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's move from Ataturk to the new Istanbul airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle
lounge?

Any idea what lounge BA is going to be using at the new airport?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:55 pm

I have a flight on BA from Istanbul to LHR on April 8. Could anyone tell me if the previous security restrictions regarding tablets and laptops will apply at the new airport? I looked through the thread but didn't see any mention of it. Apologies if I overlooked it.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
Originally Posted by sorial
I have a flight on BA from Istanbul to LHR on April 8. Could anyone tell me if the previous security restrictions regarding tablets and laptops will apply at the new airport? I looked through the thread but didn't see any mention of it. Apologies if I overlooked it.
The restrictions mercifully ended in September last year.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
Mrs nwmgc now on the last-ever-BA-flight from Ataturk IST.
aidy likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by nwmgc
Mrs nwmgc now on the last-ever-BA-flight from Ataturk IST.
I hope she kicked the door of the awful Millennium Lounge shut on her way out!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by chrisk84
Any idea what lounge BA is going to be using at the new airport?
They would contract the IGA Lounge.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by ajamieson

I hope she kicked the door of the awful Millennium Lounge shut on her way out!
Not that it had one to shut, it was the only lounge open - the others adjacent (bothPP eligible) having packed up and gone! It really was one of the worst lounges anywhere and BA will have to try really hard do do any worse at the new airport (I'm sure someone will try).
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately it showed the contempt with which BA treated its IST customers over the years. As a reminder, for the first decade or so at IST, BA had its own lounge, then they cut costs and moved to the Millennium lounge, then to the better downstairs lounge and then cut costs again in recent years and then used the Millennium lounge again.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: BA silver,
The old airport was well served by train+tram into the city. I seem to remember reading sone time ago that transport to the new airport is very limited. Does anyone know what is happening? Trip planned for late May so hope sorted by then.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
Unfortunately it showed the contempt with which BA treated its IST customers over the years. As a reminder, for the first decade or so at IST, BA had its own lounge, then they cut costs and moved to the Millennium lounge, then to the better downstairs lounge and then cut costs again in recent years and then used the Millennium lounge again.
Yes, I remember those old days that BA had it's old lounge where the Primeclass Lounge was located afterwards. Also let's remember that BA was flying 2x 767 and 1x A320 every day until October 2016 but then they first switched to 3x daily A320 and then to 2x daily A320 in the summer and 10x weekly in the winter.

Originally Posted by rjhcambs
The old airport was well served by train+tram into the city. I seem to remember reading sone time ago that transport to the new airport is very limited. Does anyone know what is happening? Trip planned for late May so hope sorted by then.
Transportation is not limited to the new airport. There would be shuttle buses on 20 different lines and over 50+ stops all around Istanbul which would operate 7/24. In addition, there would be 4 different lines of municipality buses to the new airport. I have shared the list of the lines in the Istanbul Airport Master Thread that you could find in the Europe forum. Also, if you have booked your hotel, please send me a private message so I could tell the easiest way to reach there.

In addition, I would like to add that due to the pressure of the taxi lobby. Late night bus services were cancelled at Atatürk Airport; followed by the cancellation of municipality buses that served 3-4 different areas of the city, and leaving the only option to a crowded metro line that serves some of the areas of Istanbul and a bus to Taksim that may take 2 hours because of traffic.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

The Millennium Lounge was in a great many ways not a great lounge but fortunately while the hand baggage restrictions were in place, one never had much time to actually use it.

On those fleeting visits, the wall at the rear of the lounge always fascinated me in a slightly comical way. I likened it to a dynamic art installation, thinking of Klein Dytham's imaginative Gallery Toto kenetic wall treatments at Haneda and Troika's "All the Time in the World" electroluminescent art wall at T5's lounge lobby. This particular wall had none of the technical sophistication or artistic merit of those purpose built examples, it was merely a translucent glass window that separated the lounge from the smoking room next door. Still, while modest, it was an interesting spectacle whenever the sun was shining.

Swanhunter and ISTFlyer like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Apr 5, 2019 at 11:51 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
One time I was in there a family allowed their young child to kick a football against that wall repeatedly for about an hour. And it was still not the most irritating thing about being in there. By last month, virtually every power socket was broken and even the public toilets nearby had closed.

I only wish I'd have been on the final flight to swat the last flies out of the fresh food and take a ceremonial pee in the "meat soup" container.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

An open bottle of Bacardi, placed precariously on a carpet of scattered paper wifi slips... The perfect accelerant
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:15 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I predate you all. I make no exceptions. I’m an old BAag, but God help those who call me that.

I remember the old airport in 1975. It was dreadful. Beyond dreadful it was dire. We were taken on holiday to Alanya and we spent a few nights in Istanbul. We then flew to Antalya. Frankly, looking back the whole experience felt like you were cheating death. People fighting over seats (TK both ways).and going on the tarmac to select your luggage so that it was put in the hold. They did this in London as well. Delays were chronic and constant. Not one flight left on time. That was then.

I went back in 2010. Nothing prepared me for what I would find. I found a modern well functioning airport in a dynamic and progressive place. I have huge respect for the people who have brought this airport into being. There will be problems. Of course there will. For heavens sake will the new Berlin airport ever open? It will be less convenient as Narita is to Haneda at first as like many of these projects, it probably needs a year to bed in. I loved the old Ataturk. It had everything. This is in the middle of nowhere. For now. Let’s be generous and let this airport get going.

I have very dear friends in Izmir who I want to visit. I’ll probably transit the airport to go there.
ajamieson, lhrpete and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I loved the old Ataturk. It had everything. This is in the middle of nowhere. For now. Let’s be generous and let this airport get going.

I have very dear friends in Izmir who I want to visit. I’ll probably transit the airport to go there.[/left]
I was at Ataturk on 4th April (because A3 cancelled my flight on 5 April due to the airport move, I had to move my flight to 4th) and was thinking it was looking rather tired and the capacity was an issue, as it had been for a while, but was quite OK as long as you were in J and had priority lines to use. Double security has always been a bit of a nuisance too (especially having to turn on the laptops twice, mainly because I then have to turn them off!). But overall, the place was functional and I quite liked the TK lounge, especially their cakes.

I'm not sad to wave good-bye to the domestic arrival area at IST though. The baggage hall smelled like a bunch of unclean loos for quite some time which bothered me rather immensely.

What amused me recently was the huge new terminal at DLM, to/from which BA will shortly be operating (I hope they finish the works before the season starts). It's right next to the old one, which looked rather dwarfed by the big new terminal.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Apr 5, 2019 at 7:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.