Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Airports in which you don't bother to use BA lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airports in which you don't bother to use BA lounges

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Originally Posted by batteryboy_uk
DXB and SIN. DXB because the one time I used it, there were no seats available it was so full. What made it worse was I had guested a friend in for her first ever experience of a lounge! So next time i was there i just gave it a miss. SIN because I love the airport, and whilst I do lounge if I have a lot of time to kill, I'd rather go for a walk through the terminal or go an explore a different terminal given the chance. Of course, none of that compares to the KAL lounge at NGO which was perhaps the most depressing lounge I've ever experienced!!
You mean the old one or the new one in concourse D ?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonours, IHG, Bonvoy, KFC Colonel's club
Originally Posted by RockyRobin

I’m in TXL lounge now and whilst it is retro and has no toilets grrrrr, it’s ok. It’s light an airy and for me right next to my gate not the wrong end of the airport.

it beats MUC in my eyes especially as there is knowhere to go at TXL apart from stand in the way in the narrow corridor they call an airport.
Whilst Munich isn't exactly impressive either I think it is better in terms of food and drinks, plus its after security. I suppose gates at TXL can change, last time I did have to walk a bit to security and gate too.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Anywhere with AA Admiral's as the lounge option is normally pretty horrible. PHX being the worst - in those instances I skip lounge and head to a bar.

UVF lounge is grotty too.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by manord
Austin - The BA/OW​​​​ lounge option is a tiny and usually overcrowded Admirals club.
Thanks for the warning.
Originally Posted by bullroot
Anywhere with AA Admiral's as the lounge option is normally pretty horrible. PHX being the worst - in those instances I skip lounge and head to a bar.
What's so bad about PHX? The size? The food? You know there's a bar inside the lounge?!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: Some
Basically all of mainland China - PVG gets a shout out for being terrible, it's off the direct BA network but CAN is also poor enough that I'd rather just turn up late and go for a walk around the (also very underwhelming given how big it is) terminal.

If we're talking just BA-branded lounges I'm not sure any of them are poor enough to sit in the terminal instead.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TKM&S Elite
Originally Posted by diamantaire
You mean the old one or the new one in concourse D ?
It was the D concourse one, 18months ago so maybe everyone who avoided the old one decided to give the refreshed one a look that night. It was absolutely heaving.

Last edited by batteryboy_uk; Sep 3, 2018 at 10:23 am
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Interesting question, I tend to find that lounges reflect the airport they are situated in. There are exceptions to that of course, but I find it usually works that way.

I find some of CPH's lounges mediocre, compared to the vast range of restaurants on offer.

Lounges landside I would always avoid, for reasons that are obvious.

Before security check lounges are trickier I will often stop for JL's in FRA for example but I have to factor sometimes queue for security at FRA can be pretty long at times, if it's close to time I'll reluctantly skip it.

However 99/100 if I have time I will visit an airside lounge, just for a coffee. Even if it is dire, reason being, whilst I might not match the level of some of the assembled company my travels do take me to smaller rural airports of the world, when you've spent a couple of hours in an airport with no wifi, one kiosk selling a rubber cheese and ham croissant, sludge called coffee which you've paid too much for, you do appreciate the chance for a better seat to sit in, more often than not free wifi and if its the same coffee you haven't paid for it anyway.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by holtju2
Priority Pass lounge is on the second floor and inside security. Much better than the garbage that BA and most other airlines use.
Are you referring to the Pearl Lounge? That wasn't opened when I was there last in late April. It opened early July 2018? This lounge is available to British Airways and Royal Jordanian now, according to BA's site. It is on the second floor.

The so-called 'First Class Lounge' I used throughout the last several years was shared by Oneworld member airlines. It is on level one. Saudi have much nicer, comfortable lounge above. It looks like there are some changes at Terminal 2 with Emirates opening a lounge on the second level recently. I'd like to see some reviews. What was the food like in the Pearl Lounge when you were there?

Last edited by AnaTravel; Sep 3, 2018 at 10:47 am
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:06 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
At ORD, if I'm flying BA then I came in Domestic on AA. I prefer to stay in the AA Flagship Lounge as long as possible, and minimize my time in the BA lounge in T5.
aidy likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by Cheny
Whilst Munich isn't exactly impressive either I think it is better in terms of food and drinks, plus its after security. I suppose gates at TXL can change, last time I did have to walk a bit to security and gate too.
All the BA flights were out of A13 today however that could change. I was through security in 5 mins and the lounge dragons announced the flight which I think may have got us off to a head start. The dragons were very nice to be fair although the loo situation is a mare. Anyway this isn't a lounge review thread!

as you were
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Vienna - both OneWorld lounges are utterly depressing and I would rather just sit at a bar in the terminal.

Marrakech - horrendous airport all round but the lounge is not worth even attempting.

Some other outstations are not brilliant and I would certainly not get to the airport with much spare time for the lounge - but these two I would probably sit in the terminal rather than the lounge even if I had a good amount of time to kill!

Not BA related - but the same goes for the Avianca lounge at Miami which is where Star Alliance (LH, Swiss, Austrian etc) send their passengers. Dreadful. I’d rather stay in the main terminal, which for Miami is saying something...
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Basically all of mainland China - PVG gets a shout out for being terrible, it's off the direct BA network but CAN is also poor enough that I'd rather just turn up late and go for a walk around the (also very underwhelming given how big it is) terminal.

If we're talking just BA-branded lounges I'm not sure any of them are poor enough to sit in the terminal instead.
PVG is a CX job - don’t go where BA send you. Once had some lovely noodle thing in CAN lounge before heading on a fun journey with China Southern too

YMMV as ever
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by our_kid

PVG is a CX job - don’t go where BA send you. Once had some lovely noodle thing in CAN lounge before heading on a fun journey with China Southern too

YMMV as ever

Unfortunately I’m talking about the CX lounge too, which is basically an airport departures area decorated to look like the old CX lounge style with some free pot noodles and terrible coffee thrown in. Toilets were also unacceptably messy for a CX lounge the last couple of times I’ve been there. Sounds like you were in one of the MU lounges rather than the dire 'Premium' Lounge everyone else is sent to at CAN.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Unfortunately I’m talking about the CX lounge too, which is basically an airport departures area decorated to look like the old CX lounge style with some free pot noodles and terrible coffee thrown in. Toilets were also unacceptably messy for a CX lounge the last couple of times I’ve been there. Sounds like you were in one of the MU lounges rather than the dire 'Premium' Lounge everyone else is sent to at CAN.
Before discovering premium travel, I thought lounges were simply private/walled off waiting areas. My first experience of lounge has been in the Pergolesi at MXP, and I was very impressed.
Ok, now I can make comparison between CX at HKG, Flagship AA at JFK, GF at LHR etc. but for me, when looking just for a comfortable seat (as in padded armchair), maybe a power port and something to drink, almost any lounge is still better than be seated at a gate. Apart from ZNZ, lounge toilets seems to be always better too.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lefly
Apart from ZNZ, lounge toilets seems to be always better too.
I suspect many on here using any of the BA lounges in LHR T5 might disagree

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.