CCR vs LH First Class Terminal Frankfurt

Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
CCR vs LH First Class Terminal Frankfurt

Recently had the pleasure of an overnight from BOS in LH on a 748 and return on a BA A380.

On board product and service was good on both carriers, LH ahead on F&B thanks to the caviar service but otherwise, thing were pretty equal. BA IFE was superior in regards to content.

Having heard great things about the FCT I was looking forward to my 6 hour wait and it didn’t disappoint, in my single experience there vs 10 plus in the CCR over the years, I did not see it as hugely superior however.

As a direct comparison on this trip alone, a morning visit to each facility-

Check in/ Security
(no bags to check in at LH as I was connecting, BA, bag to check)
LH - lift up to the FCT check in, where I was quickly met and guided through the security, the first and only pax at the facility that day.

BA - walked along to F check in greeted, had to wait for a desk to clear but took 30-60 seconds. No wait at gold wing security, short walk to CCR

Winner- LH. Nothing really making a material difference to life however!

Bathrooms
(not a true comparison as I did not shower in the CCR, however have experience of the BA showers)
LH - Great facilities, a couple of rubber duckies, a nice clean shower. Other Toilets also nice and clean

BA - We all know the story here, cheap toilet rooms, showing their age, clean enough but some paper on the floor etc

Winner - Clearly LH

Dining facilities / Breakfast
LH - having showered before there was another soul there, the lounge was surprisingly busy when I got out and I was forced to wait for a seat, although only 3-5 minutes and other tables were free shortly afterwards, so I probably hit the very peakest of peaks.

Food wise, I had the eggs Benedict, which was good but was slightly weird hollandaise-wise! Service prompt but not stellar and a bit surley

BA - the lounge was busyish on arrival but I was seated quickly, others were turned away from the dining area for it being full shortly afterwards, spaces were available on the benches outside though.

Foodwise things were on a par, better OJ (although subjective no doubt) and the service I received was better in the CCR than the more surly staff in the FCT

Winner - Overall I think I preferred the BA experience, hard to gauge on a one off though and over breakfast only. I preferred the dining area in the FCT but preferred the BA service. We’ll call it a tie.

Ambience/ Seating
LH - I think the LH ‘style’ is more my style and overall I really liked the look and feel of the place. It does lack runway views however and the feeling of being in an airport, a pro for many no doubt but not for me. I ended up on the weird, hippy music playing, electronic rocking chairs to the left of the lounge which were v comfy

BA - My first CCR visit since the ‘make over’, I liked the loungers on the terrace, the little cabanas less so.

Winner - hard to call for me, the FCT is clearly better on most levels, however the CCR terrace and airport views swing it right back BA’s way for me. As a one off I think I’d choose the FCT, as a regular, the CCR on this aspect.

Service
LH - All staff I interacted with were great (bar the restaurant and bar), however there was zero waiter service away from the restaurant area, I was literally offered nothing in the 3 or so hours I spent resting on the rocking chairs and sat elsewhere on the left hand side of the lounge.(this could’ve been intentional if it is seen as a rest area). My two trips to the bar were met by surely bar staff.

BA - Adversely to much talk on here, I’ve always had what I’d consider good service in the CCR and again was offered a drink out on the terrace within 10 mins of taking a seat there and have no complaints about the very nice and quick service I received in the restaurant.

Winner - I have to give it to BA, although as a one off I may have just been unlucky.

Trip to plane/ Boarding
LH - met by PA, taken to passport control and via Porsche SUV to plane, where there was a short queue to board.

BA - walk to train, wait for train, long wait at gate (my fault), quick group on boarding, once gate open

Winner - obv no comparison here. I don’t mind the walk itself, mixing with the hoipolloi etc, however I hate waiting around, so knowing/ being told exactly when to leave the lounge to board the plane is great.

Overall
The LH facility in itself is better than the CCR as a whole, there is no real argument on that front. There’s no huge difference in a one off comparison though and much of the comparison and talk on here is clear hyperbole

Given a a choice of which to use next, I’d take the FCT, after the novelty wore off though and as a regular traveler, esp if I was not showering, I think I’d end up using the CCR more

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Sep 1, 2018 at 10:31 am Reason: bolding
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Very interesting comparison - thanks. It has been some time I have been in the FCT, though I spent a few hours recently in the CCR. Unless the FCT has changed substantially, the food choices in the FCT (for all types of meals during the day) seemed always much more varied and top quality than in the CCR. And one big upside for FCT is the whiskey list (of course this might be irrelevant in the morning) ! One downside is that (unless it has changed) you have to pay for massages, unlike with BA. And obviously, the transfer to the plane really puts LH apart from BA.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: Some
Fair enough, can't say I share your opinion on most aspects here though other than the check in experience and superiority of the LH bathrooms, I'm afraid.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'm actually largely on the same page as you in the sense that whilst I also recognise the superiority of the FCT, I'm actually not a big fan of it personally. In fact, I'd never bother to go there unless I am actually flying ex-FRA. I see why people like it but there is no way I'd go out of my way to spend hours there. In fact, I think the new ZRH F lounge is nicer even though most people seem to rate it less.

And yes, being driven to the plane is great but at that rate, I'd much sooner have the AF version where you are picked up/dropped both ways and plane door rather than boarding gate. Coming to think of it, most everything in the AF ground experience is a substantive notch higher than the LH/FRA version.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Probably worth pointing put that there are two other first-class (CCR equivalent) Lufthansa lounges integrated within the terminal at Frankfurt. They have exactly the same high levels of comfort, service and catering as the FCT, and also offer transport to aircraft where these are at remote stands.

There's a total of fourteen Lufthansa lounges at the airport, including four Senator lounges (FCL equivalents).
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Probably worth pointing put that there are two other first-class (CCR equivalent) Lufthansa lounges integrated within the terminal at Frankfurt. They have exactly the same high levels of comfort, service and catering as the FCT, and also offer transport to aircraft where these are at remote stands.

There's a total of fourteen Lufthansa lounges at the airport, including four Senator lounges (FCL equivalents).
yup, in hindsight I suspect I would have been happier there and would certainly take one instead of isolating myself in the FCT next time.

Im assuming you don’t get the car to the plane though?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
No, if you’re leaving from an actual (non-bus) gate, you have to use shank’s pony to get there yourself from one on the in-terminal lounges.

I liked the fact that the concierge came to get us for boarding in the FCT and seeing that the bartender had just delivered a fresh glass of champers, she said that she would come back in 10 minutes. The sedate pootle around in the Cayenne was a bit meh tbh, but the driver did give us the DYKWIA treatment at the gate as he made everyone stand aside to allow us to board.

I loved the FCT. We also have been into one of the FRA in-terminal F lounges which was really no different, but I did feel that the MUC F lounge was very good, especially in the restaurant.

I really wasn’t a fan of the CCR in comparison.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Exec Club vs Diamond Club

Sorry, but this thread is making me nostalgic for the BMI Diamond Club.

The LH First Class Lounges and the FCT used to a annual feature of long haul holidays. For about the same cost as a high season trip to NCE....

Sigh.
msmorley and SkyTeem like this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dambus
Sorry, but this thread is making me nostalgic for the BMI Diamond Club.
Those 15000 mile sign up bonuses were very generous as were the free miles for completing surveys.

I heard even family pets had DC accounts despite never setting foot on a BD aircraft.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:06 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by orbitmic
And yes, being driven to the plane is great but at that rate, I'd much sooner have the AF version where you are picked up/dropped both ways and plane door rather than boarding gate. Coming to think of it, most everything in the AF ground experience is a substantive notch higher than the LH/FRA version.
Unless it's changed, that's exactly what happens at FRA. I was picked up at the steps of my arrival from MAN. And from the FCT, I was driven to the front of the 747 for the connecting flight.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Unless it's changed, that's exactly what happens at FRA. I was picked up at the steps of my arrival from MAN. And from the FCT, I was driven to the front of the 747 for the connecting flight.
Others have more extensive experience of LH F than me, but in my understanding, it depends on which terminal and gate your flights use. On most you wouldn’t get the car transfer, and I certainly didn't get a car pick ups myself.

Last edited by orbitmic; Sep 1, 2018 at 11:59 pm
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I believe if you arrive on a bussed stand you will get a car transfer to the FCT, otherwise you’re on you’re own/ expected to use the main terminal lounges.

Certainly what happened to me anyway.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Those 15000 mile sign up bonuses were very generous as were the free miles for completing surveys.

I heard even family pets had DC accounts despite never setting foot on a BD aircraft.
And the fact that you could buy up to 80k miles a year (even though a return TATL F trip generally cost 50k plus cash)
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:07 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

I believe if you arrive on a bussed stand you will get a car transfer to the FCT, otherwise you’re on you’re own/ expected to use the main terminal lounges.

Certainly what happened to me anyway.
Yes, that seems correct. I was actually dropped off at transfers, but then I went through the arrivals process and walked to the FCT. I believe the FCT isn't really supposed to be used for connections, but I wanted to try it out
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Overall
The LH facility in itself is better than the CCR as a whole, there is no real argument on that front. There’s no huge difference in a one off comparison though and much of the comparison and talk on here is clear hyperbole
My visit to the FCT was a while ago. Yes I agree apart from the car transfer there is no huge difference. We were there during breakfast which is probably not the ideal time to enjoy it to the fullest. Efficient yes but maybe too efficient for my liking.I just didn't like the atmosphere of the place to be honest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.